2013 JKU 10A with some major Steering/Reverse issues. Please help me diagnose this! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kruzin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-02-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Dunston540
2013 JK Wrangler 

2013 JKU 10A with some major Steering/Reverse issues. Please help me diagnose this!

I own a 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon 10th Anniv. with 60,000 mi.
I noticed a trend recently, when I'm in 4-W High and backing up where the wheel is turned all the way to one side or another, the Jeeps' steering seems to slip or JOLT. It happens in the winter when I engage the 4-Wheel drive High.

It only happens when I'm either pulling into a parking space or backing out of my driveway and seems to ONLY occur in 4-Wheel High/Low. my tires are 35" KO2 with 35 psi and it does have a MOPAR 2" lift with Fox Shocks. I added an Old man emu Steering stabilizer that I believe might be the problem too. I don't remember this happening before hand.

Please tell me what you would do in this situation? Do I need a new HD Tie Rod?
Control Arms?
High Steer stabilizer?

The list goes on but first I must figure out why this is happening. I think the gears are set right, just can't find the answer on my own. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-02-2019, 05:43 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

What you're feeling is the axle/tire binding up and skipping.
Don't do that in 4wd on dry pavement or you'll bust a u-joint, or worse, snap an axle shaft. 4H and 4L on JKs are ONLY to be used on low-traction surfaces.

From the owners manual:
Quote:
The transfer case is intended to be driven in the 2H position for normal street and highway conditions such as hard-surfaced roads.
In the event that additional traction is required, the transfer case 4H and 4L positions can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This is accomplished by simply moving the shift lever to one of these positions. The 4H and 4Lpositions are intended for loose, slippery road surfaces only and not intended for normal driving. Driving in the 4H and 4L positions on hard surfaced roads will cause increased tire wear and damage to the driveline components.
JoonHoss likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 4 Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Don’t turn while in either four wheel drive range regardless if you are going forward or reverse unless you are on very slippery terrain with little to no traction.

That is the nature of part time four wheel drive for the most part. All wheel drive otherwise known as full time four wheel drive is different.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 AM
jeep63
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I've heard this behavior referred to as “crow hopping”. Avoid full lock turns on dry pavement while in 4 wheel drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 YJ-Sold
YJOTM 05/15,05/18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in