2013 JK Unlimited lifts for 37" tires - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

2013 JK Unlimited lifts for 37" tires

I have a new 2013 JK Unlimited and am starting to think about modifications.

*Any ideas on a long arm or short arm lifts for 37" tires? Does anybody have a lift that they recommend?
*For 37" tires, do I use 5.13 gears? I have a standard transmission and the transfer case is a non-Rubicon model.
*I have a Dana 44 rear, and was wondering if a Dynatrac 44 would work on the front to replace the Dana 30.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM
RubiconTested

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdogdude View Post
I have a new 2013 JK Unlimited and am starting to think about modifications.

*Any ideas on a long arm or short arm lifts for 37" tires? Does anybody have a lift that they recommend?
*For 37" tires, do I use 5.13 gears?
*I have a Dana 44 rear, and was wondering if a Dynatrac 44 would work on the front to replace the Dana 30.

Thanks for the help!
Lot's of lifts and personal preferences. I'll leave that one to the forum.

No - you will use 4.56 or 4.88 with the 2012/2013. Different transmission gearing, much smaller overdrive (only 15%) than the '07-'11. 4.56 for mostly street, I run 37's and 4.88 in my '12 and love it. A little more pep when loaded down or in the mountains.

Yes, the Dynatrac 44 will replace your 30.

Thanks,
Austin
post #3 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Agree with above post regarding gear selection. 4.88 is the most you will need with the new Auto transmission. I decided to go 4.56 but am in the middle of my build and won't have it running for a couple weeks. Take a peek at my build thread if you would like. Lot's of good lifts out there. I am using Currie control arms, Evo Plush ride coils, and Fox shocks. If you are looking for a true long arm, Evo makes a great kit, but you have to cut out the factory mounts. Good Luck and start a build thread.

David M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Would those ratios work for a stick transmission and the non-Rubicon tranny? Thanks!
post #5 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_M View Post
Agree with above post regarding gear selection. 4.88 is the most you will need with the new Auto transmission. I decided to go 4.56 but am in the middle of my build and won't have it running for a couple weeks. Take a peek at my build thread if you would like. Lot's of good lifts out there. I am using Currie control arms, Evo Plush ride coils, and Fox shocks. If you are looking for a true long arm, Evo makes a great kit, but you have to cut out the factory mounts. Good Luck and start a build thread.

David M
If I have a standard tranny, do you know if the ratios would be different?
post #6 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Most of my research was on the auto equipped JK's as that is what mine has. If my memory serves me right, most guys with six speed manuals ran 4.88 gears. The only difference in the Rubicon and non rubi models is in the axles, the engine/transmission is the same. Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. You had the same idea as me: Why buy a Rubicon when you can build it better and cheaper with a Sport?
post #8 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Re-gear?

Did you do the re-gears and lockers yourself? If so, was it easy? I've never done one.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 04:19 PM
RubiconTested

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Would those ratios work for a stick transmission and the non-Rubicon tranny? Thanks!
If you are asking about 2012/2013, then I would recommend the higher of the two, there is **4% more overdrive in the manual. So 37" tires would use 4.88 or 5.13. Some would go 5.38, but I think these work best with the 3.6.

Austin

**EDIT for clarified math.

Last edited by RubiconTested; 01-04-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Math
post #10 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 05:00 PM
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

the overdrive in the 5 speed auto in the 12-13 model is nearly the same ratio as 6 gear in the manual. .83 vs .84 For comparing highway speeds the gearing would be the same for the two.
4.56 should be the gearing to look for if you run a lot of highways at 70+ mph. A 5.38 would be spinning over 2900 rpm at around 70 mph on the new automatic.

If you learned something new today, you had a good day.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 PM
RubiconTested

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
the overdrive in the 5 speed auto in the 12-13 model is nearly the same ratio as 6 gear in the manual. .83 vs .84 For comparing highway speeds the gearing would be the same for the two.
4.56 should be the gearing to look for if you run a lot of highways at 70+ mph. A 5.38 would be spinning over 2900 rpm at around 70 mph on the new automatic.
From what I've found (only own an auto) the 2005-11 6-sp. manual had the .84 and 12/13 has .797.

Same trans, different 6th gear ratio.

To the best of my information.

Austin
post #12 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the info. You had the same idea as me: Why buy a Rubicon when you can build it better and cheaper with a Sport?
I'm not convinced it is cheaper but unquestionably better. That's not to say this the better route for everyone. But, in my case with what I plan to do, the Rubicon wouldn't hold up longterm for me. On my last '07 JKUR the lockers were already giving me problems. They just aren't meant to hold up the the abuse of 37" tires.

For some one who plans to do moderate wheeling on say 35's. I would think the Rubicon would be a perfect fit IMHO. To each their own but to you and good luck with your build. Lots of great people and information on this forum.

Quote:
Did you do the re-gears and lockers yourself? If so, was it easy? I've never done one.
Not sure if this was directed at me or not. A locker install is no biggie if your gears are already set up. If you are setting up gears and installing the locker that is a different story. I would highly recommend either having a reputable shop do it. That is assuming you do not have any close friends or family that have experience setting up gears. It is a specialized skill set setting the pinion depth correctly. Being in California, you are not that far from Off Road Evolution. They do front and back gear changes for $1000 parts and labor which is very reasonable. To answer the question, I had the help of an uncle who sets up gears for a living. I know, Lucky me! Of coarse if you decide to go with a ProRock 44 up front then you can have the front gears of your choice already installed along with the locker. Then you just need to deal with the rear locker/gears.

post #13 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTested View Post
From what I've found (only own an auto) the 2005-11 6-sp. manual had the .84 and 12/13 has .797.

Same trans, different 6th gear ratio.

To the best of my information.

Austin
The 2007-2011 autos have an overdrive gear of .69:1 The 2005-2006 manuals were a 5 speed and were tj's

If you learned something new today, you had a good day.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Filthy-Beast

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat planning my build for the 2013 JKUR we just got.

I'm going with the MetalCloak Game changer 3.5" lift with 6-pack shocks. Planning on running 4.88 gears.

From my research I'm also planning on front drive shaft, Artec gusset and trusses for the axles and since it going to be apart anyways might as well throw some Chromalloy shafts in.

still don't know if I need a new rear DS and if I should upgrade the brand new ball joints or wait until the OE start to fail.

For Sale:

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
post #15 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 PM
RubiconTested

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
The 2007-2011 autos have an overdrive gear of .69:1 The 2005-2006 manuals were a 5 speed and were tj's
We are getting way off topic. I could be wrong, however let me re-state what I have researched. Would be happy to provide links.

2005-11 6 speed manual OD was .84. (2005/06 5 speed dropped for 6speed. Same as current manual with different bellhousing and 6th ratio.)

2012/13 6th gear changed to .797 (Most charts are still showing the old ratio - you can find the new info if look hard enough)

2007-11 4 speed auto .69 OD

20012/13 5 speed auto .83 OD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in