2012 JK HVAC blend door possessed? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2020, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
bcpaul

2012 JK HVAC blend door possessed?

I have a 2012 wrangler with a clicking blend door actuator. It clicks when I adjusting temp sometimes or when I turn off the engine (after delay). I removed it, but left it plugged in and with the key on I adjusted the heat/cool knob.

The arm on the actuator (disconnected from the blend door) moves about 300 degrees rotation from full cold to full hot when I move the temp knob from fully cool to fully hot. BUT when I turn the temperature knob to full heat and move it back a bit then full heat again it goes past the previous full heat stop location and stops in some random location almost another complete rotation.
If it was connected to the blend door, it would not be able to rotate and would strip the gears. Looking inside of the the actuator most of the teeth are stripped and it still works if there is no restriction of movement.

I am I correct that the HVAC control module -- the 3 knobs (fan, heat/cold, air location) - needs to be replaced as well as the stripped actuator? Or does the module detect the actuator has hit its limit and cut power so just the actuator need replacement?

I am afraid if I just replace the actuator it might just immediately ruin it by stripping gears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2020, 09:55 PM
Geoskier9

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I have no experience with my JKU since I have the basic HVAC without AC, but my WK2 broke blend door gears on both sides. Without the whole gear and teeth to stop the actuator from rotating, it would rotate 360. As soon I replaced the blend gear it worked perfectly again. It’s a cheap part, but a giant pain to replace, worth a try before ponying up for a new actuator.

Edit: the actuator is pretty inexpensive; I guess while you have it apart it might be worth just replacing it while you’re there.
Attached Thumbnails
81BCD0C6-00CC-4344-B9FD-E9C3B4B889F2_1599796406704.jpeg  
post #3 of 6 Old 09-10-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
bcpaul

mine looks nothing like this. the gears are not at all broken, but the large white plastic gear teeth are all rounded/stripped over, but it actuator works as long as it doesn't try to rotate around and around in circles. If it tries to, it just clickity-clicks

post #4 of 6 Old 09-10-2020, 10:24 PM
Geoskier9

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Ah, I see. I guess I just assumed they were similar.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-18-2020, 10:52 PM
RainyLake
2012 JK Wrangler 

Something very similar happening on my 2012 as well. Was thinking it might be sticking or interference in the plastic but not sure. Just posting to get notified if anyone figures it out. Good luck OP.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-19-2020, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
bcpaul

UPDATE:It was just the actuator. Replaced it and working fine. I guess the controller detects when the actuator hit its limits.

It doesn't matter how you connect the actuator to the flap it self adjusts. So don't worry about putting it at the same angle you removed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in