2011 Jeep Wrangler changes announced - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 36 Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 AM
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Body colored hard top? Sounds interesting.

Agree we are going in the wrong direction engine size wise. Where's that EV they promised or the diesel. Marketing toward soccer moms and yuppies who don't tak ethe top off or wave. boo!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Body colored hard top? Sounds interesting.
By interesting do you mean terrible??
post #18 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 04:54 PM
TestDummy
Jeep Geek

2011 JK Wrangler 

Ordered a 2011 today - couldn't find exactly what I wanted on a lot within 300-miles and 2010 ordering closed last week. (2011 ordering opened up yesterday.) "Redesigned interior" sounds good to me anyway as I didn't much like previous and I'm willing to bet it won't get worse. Also willing to get Nav if Garmin as I've had great luck with their products and mostly bad luck with various carmaker systems.

Went thru the online system with the sales rep building a Rubi Unlimited - options were pretty much all as shown in the link in post #3 of this thread. Didn't see "body colored top" in the list for a Rubi (but certainly wasn't looking for it!), maybe it's a Sahara only option or due when the color options expand - limited in the initial period as listed in the AllPar link. With a Mango Tango, the two-tone leather seat option was listed as "Black/Dark Saddle" which seems to be a new interior color combo and sounds good.

Now the patience test begins...

post #19 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 05:05 PM
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBee859 View Post
I for one would wait until they put a hemi in the wranger! LOL but im glad to hear (as a potential owner in the next 6 months) that they are not making the engine swap. Im sure its not a bad engine, but like everything else, it would be the first model year for it, and that can always go badly.

Im sad to hear there will only be 4 colors, or atleast so they say. Mango Tango is #2 on my list, but i want a Rescue Green in the worst way. C'mon 2011 Rescue Green Unlimited!

Be nice if they offered better gear ratios in other models besides the Rubi too....
SOunds to me like you should look for a low mile 08/09 Rubi that has not been abused and you could get just what you want Dont know your reasoning for wanting new but if I could go back I would have bought used. Just MHO.
post #20 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 05:40 PM
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

They still have 2010 ordering on the Jeep website...
post #21 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 06:09 PM
TestDummy
Jeep Geek

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep geek View Post
2010 ordering closed last week. (2011 ordering opened up yesterday.) "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
They still have 2010 ordering on the Jeep website...
Just quoting what the dealer told me - I didn't question the info - if I was gonna order I wanted a 2011. You can still build a 2010 Grand Cherokee online at Jeep.com also, but I'd be very surprised if you can actually order one now.
post #22 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Bionicrooster
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
And increased in HP with each "downsize." The AMC 304 V8 put out a whopping 125 hp.
Agreed the engines are getting smaller cause technology has gotten better. My 3.8 is more powerful and better gas milage than my old 4.0.

However that is not to say they couldn't use more power, I think with gas milage regulations the way they are going you won't see a hemi wrangler, but the diesel would be PERFECT

" We do not inherit our wildlife from our fathers, we only borrow it from our children."
post #23 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Some of these changes seem downright silly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpar
optional body-color hardtop...
Ugh... not a fan...

Quote:
heated front seats and power mirrors...
What is this, a luxury car now? What happens when you relocate the mirrors to the window pillar anyway so you can go doorless. So much for power... And heated seats - hope they seal the electronics in them up well b/c what happens when they get wet? I would rather see good old vinyl/waterproof seats...

Quote:
include steering wheel audio controls
See above comment on electronics. It's bad enough the clockspring is in the steering wheel with tons of electronics running through it, but sure add some more...

Some of the stuff is kind of cool though...

Quote:
revised rear cargo area surface
Not sure if this is what it means, but I always thought that should be some kind of rubber mat/material...

Quote:
USB port
It's a stretch for "cool" but I would like it for my iPod as opposed to having to use a regular old audio av chord or whatever we have to use in our pre-2011s.

Quote:
cellphone integration with voice commands
Only cool b/c I hate idiots who talk on their cellphones and drive. Almost got t-boned with my doors off the other day b/c some idiot on a cell phone. Speaker phone in a topless, doorless jeep is kind of worthless though...

Overall nothing groundbreaking in the changes IMO...
post #24 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 PM
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Jeeps used to have V8's then downsized to a 4.2L I6 then downsized to 4.0L I6 then downsized to 3.8L V6. It seems to me we are going in the wrong direction. Before long we will down to a 1.0L and maybe eventually down to a Briggs and Straton.

The 2011 will still have the 3.8L so the challenges the pentastar engine will present remains an unknown. I, for one, was shocked by the power characteristics of the 3.8 compared to the 4.0 of my YJ. I changed my driving style and regeared and I am more satisfied with it now than before.
You realize your 3.8L V6 makes similar power to an old AMC 304 V8. Right?

2013 FR-S
post #25 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 PM
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
You realize your 3.8L V6 makes similar power to an old AMC 304 V8. Right?
The AMC 304 had all of 125 hp.

Tom
post #26 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 PM
DaBee859

Quote:
SOunds to me like you should look for a low mile 08/09 Rubi that has not been abused and you could get just what you want Dont know your reasoning for wanting new but if I could go back I would have bought used. Just MHO.

think you can point me in a direction of one of those in rescue green thats reasonably priced that would allow me to get rid of the vehicle i have now?

this should be hard to sell, right? LOL

so does nobody have some pics of this magical new wrangler or what?

2004 Dodge Rumble Bee #859 - Crane 216 Cam - Summit 20% UD Pulley - Pacesetter Mid Headers - Moes Ported TB - Jet 180 T-Stat - K&N FPIK - Zex 125 Shot w/Goodies

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
post #27 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 PM
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBee859 View Post
think you can point me in a direction of one of those in rescue green thats reasonably priced that would allow me to get rid of the vehicle i have now?

this should be hard to sell, right? LOL

so does nobody have some pics of this magical new wrangler or what?
So you think you can only trade your rumble bee in on a new jeep? Why not just trade it in on a used one... Or put it up on CL/Ebay/Here for sale or trade... Unless you still owe on it... I dont quite get what you are saying cause my head is throbbing right now but I think i understood you correctly.
post #28 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 PM
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
The AMC 304 had all of 125 hp.
Then you made my point even BETTER... bigger is not always better. If you need more power than the 3.8 has you're doing it wrong.

2013 FR-S
post #29 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

The 304 could be made to make a lot more than 125 hp that it came with. It has potential for more whereas the 3.8L is just about maxed out right from the get go. In other words, you have more of a ceiling to work with. The fact that the 3.8L is limited in what it can be modified to be is disheartening. I guess I yearn for the good old days of shaving heads, five angle valve jobs, aggressive cam shafts, dome pistons, and other such things were as much part of modifying a vehicle as is changing tire sizes is now.

I know the Jeep isn't a hot rod, but what man would refuse more power when more power is readily available? Some hot rod type modifications can actually be beneficial off road such as a dry sump engine.

I am interested in seeing what the redesigned interior looks like. I am actually quite happy with the way my khaki interior looks in my JK. I liked the interiors of CJ's and YJ's, but hated TJ interiors.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #30 of 36 Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 AM
DaBee859

Quote:
So you think you can only trade your rumble bee in on a new jeep? Why not just trade it in on a used one... Or put it up on CL/Ebay/Here for sale or trade... Unless you still owe on it... I dont quite get what you are saying cause my head is throbbing right now but I think i understood you correctly.
yeah, im not real sure where i was going with that. i needs me a wrangler though! and a used one isnt a bad idea...

2004 Dodge Rumble Bee #859 - Crane 216 Cam - Summit 20% UD Pulley - Pacesetter Mid Headers - Moes Ported TB - Jet 180 T-Stat - K&N FPIK - Zex 125 Shot w/Goodies

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in