2010 Jeep Jk Rubi Electrical issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-09-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Yousef Maqousi

2010 Jeep Jk Rubi Electrical issue

Pardon me if I’m posting this in the wrong place. If so let me know and I’ll move it. I’ve got a 2010 Rubicon and recently it’s doing some crazy stuff. I’ve worked on cars my entire life but electrical has never been my strong suit.

So about a month ago my Jeep started randomly not starting. It acted like the battery was dead but it wasn’t. Headlight switches, dash lights, radio, ignition switch, power locks, key fob, windshield wipers, turn signals and hazards stopped working. Put the key in and literally nothing happens. Checked all the grounds, battery and alternator and everything’s working as it should be. Here’s where things get wired. It will randomly come back to life. Sometimes it cranks and everything’s fine and after sitting an hour or so it becomes a paperweight. Only to wake up when it feels appropriate. For awhile I could pull the ground off the battery or pull the WCM fuse to reset it and it would work. But that proved fruitless the last time it acted up. I’ve done some research and I’ve narrowed it down to either the Wireless Control Module, ECM or TIPM. I just need some help diagnosing the issue. I’m strapped for cash at the moment and would like to avoid the dealership ghost hunt. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have videos of what it’s doing if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

This is basic trouble shoot for a technician, with a test light and a wiring diagram go thru the starting circuit when issue arises.

WCM and ECM are low on my suspect list.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 38Lstarter2.pdf (56.5 KB, 1 views)

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can't move it so I'll move it for you.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-19-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Yousef Maqousi

Thanks, I’ll pull a wiring diagram and get started.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-20-2019, 03:25 PM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
MIne did this... when I needed an alternator. My Jeep stopped running on city street... when I needed a battery. Youd think it was the other way around.

Basically, the JK computer is super sensitve to voltages and wont let it start. If you pull the batt fuse or disconnect the red wire, and reattach, it is like a reset and itll pop off. Trying to diagnose batt/alt in a JK is not intuitive. The advance auto parts tool is not accurate. Isolate and test. Do a real diagnosis. When I needed an alternator, they scanned and told me I needed a battery. Bought new Optima. week later doing same thing.... Batt dead. Alternator was what was wrong.

My current set up is an Optima Yellow and a mean green 220 with XS big 3 0 guage and a NOCO batt tender connected when parked. Havent had a problem since 2014. Hard wheeling with lots of winching.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #6 of 6 Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 PM
JTPhoto

2008 JK Wrangler 

The older (3.8L) version JK requires a good engine block ground for both the neutral safety switch and the starter. Try running a 4 gauge ground cable from the battery negative terminal to the alternator bracket.
You can do a quick check with a jumper cable from negative battery to alternator bracket to see if it solves your problems. All 3 of our pre 2012 JKs required the extra ground cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, D44HD/J8 w/ OX locker and RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 2635 Predator Alloys, AEV Prem Bumper, Smitty X2O 12K ETC..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in