2.5" Rubicon Express vs Terflex JK Budget Boost w/ Shock Extensions? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cranbiz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2021, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
candy1land
2018 JK Wrangler 

2.5" Rubicon Express vs Terflex JK Budget Boost w/ Shock Extensions?

This will be my first lift for my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU. I am going to 33's BFG's - 12.5" wide - on 17's. I went to three shops today and got three totally different estimates. I have no idea what is what.

My first request was just bigger tires, new wheels and a leveling kit for the front (dealer bid).

Second was offroad shop - Suggested Teraflex JK Budget Boost w/ Shock Extensions.

And finally went to 4WP and they suggested Rubicon Express 2.5" Progressive Coil Lift Kit w/ Monotube Shocks and RE Heavy Duty Adjustable Front Track Bar and RE Super-Flex Fixed Control Arm.

There are wild discrepancies between the price for these three options.

This is my daily driver - I DO NOT go off-roading and doubt I ever will. I just want bigger tires and smooth ride and hopefully not to kill my gas mileage. Any help deciding what I would need would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2021, 09:06 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

12.5” is kind of wide fir a 33” tire and brings unnecessary weight.

A better choice is 285/70-17 which is 32.7” tall and 11.2” wide on a 17” wheel.

You only need a inch to an inch and a half lift to run 33” tire.

You need to spend some time reading the Will It Rub stickie at the top of the page which talks about backspacing on wheels, tye use of wheel spacers, various lifts and types, etc.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/...reads-1074059/

I personally am not a fan of shock extensions but that’s just me.

To run 35’s you only need 2.5” to 3” of lift, so that much lift on 33’s is going to look a bit odd.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-2021, 07:42 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm not surprised that 4WP suggested the RE lift, that's their house brand. I'm not a fan of that lift. The Teraflex is a good lift but I would go with a decent, correct length shock instead of the extensions. I do like the RE HD track bar though. I run one and it's solid. I also run it because it's one of the few that fit with the G2 Core 44 axle, which I found out the hard way.

For a DD, I agree that 12.5" wide tires is a bit much, the 285's are a better fit for DD use.

Message @Kolak for pricing and advice. He will set you up right for your use case.
Kolak likes this.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 4 Old 07-22-2021, 06:38 PM
ar4130
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This is my daily driver - I DO NOT go off-roading and doubt I ever will. I just want bigger tires and smooth ride and hopefully not to kill my gas mileage. Any help deciding what I would need would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you![/QUOTE]

For your needs stated above, (DD, no off road) you can run 33's with no lift. Can always add a leveling kit if you feel its too tight, but should be fine. Anything more would be a waste of money. Especially the last quote. IMO, they just want to upsell you. 33's with 2.5 inches of lift is just unnecessary. 12.5 wide tire is fine, if thats your preference. Just get correct backspacing on the new wheels. Ran that size plenty of times over the years, with much weaker older Jeeps with zero issues.

1997 XJ 6.5 mixed RC,OME,IRO w/ SYE.
2001 XJ 4.5 RC lift,JK Wheels w 32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in