16s vs 17s on lifted Jk - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
JASJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

16s vs 17s on lifted Jk

I am pondering the decision for wheels and tires. I've got a Rockrawler2.5 stock mod with other suspension additions, raised about 3" from stock and flat fenders. Running 33s now, good winter set up in Park City(when it behaves like winter!) on Duratracs.

With tire sizes cheaper in 16" and with some good options on alloys even with Goodyear MTRs I can get in on five with 35" tires for $400 cheaper than 17".

I expect a bit less connection to the pavement with 16s but really noticeable? Off-road? What are the advantages or disadvantages there? I assume more tire and less rim are an advantage there, I'm a novice off road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-15-2015, 07:14 PM
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

17's better on-road because less rubber. 16's better off road if aired down because there is more rubber that can adjust to the terrain. If you don't air down, it doesn't really matter offroad. Regardless of the scenario, an inch isn't going to make or break anything.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASJ View Post
I am pondering the decision for wheels and tires. I've got a Rockrawler2.5 stock mod with other suspension additions, raised about 3" from stock and flat fenders. Running 33s now, good winter set up in Park City(when it behaves like winter!) on Duratracs.

With tire sizes cheaper in 16" and with some good options on alloys even with Goodyear MTRs I can get in on five with 35" tires for $400 cheaper than 17".

I expect a bit less connection to the pavement with 16s but really noticeable? Off-road? What are the advantages or disadvantages there? I assume more tire and less rim are an advantage there, I'm a novice off road.
The only real big difference is that you tend to have more tire options at 17. Its kind of the new De facto standard nowadays where it used to he 15. That one inch of rubber doesn't make a huge difference in the ride, but some rockcrawlers would still prefer the 15s to get as much rubber as they can.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 02:54 PM
duneslider

2007 JK Wrangler 

There are fewer tire options for 16's that 17's. If you are fine with that, the only other real draw back is you can't do the big brake kits on with 16" wheels, that may not matter for you either.

I am running 15" wheels but the tire options are not great.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
JASJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tire options seem good with 34-35" range on tire rack. I'm even considering the Kuhmo MTs and $75 less per tire than GY MTRs. Ratings on Tirerack similar or better for the Kuhmos
post #6 of 8 Old 02-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Z-OR

I am struggling with this as well for a 35" tire.

The 16" package is going to be lighter. The 16" seems cheaper as well.

16" MAY be better offroad, but if it is, I would never notice.

I also see 17" gaining popularity, but not seeing 16" going away and am seeing plenty of choices.

Keep the opinions and pics coming...
post #7 of 8 Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM
BlueBabySound
2018 JK Wrangler 

If you plan on brake/rotor upgrades you'll need at least a 17"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 PM
AJKJK

I say 17".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in