2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill123
  • 1 Post By RockyClymer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
SilverJKU
2007 JK Wrangler 

07 JKU Death Wobble

Just bought an 07 JKU a couple months ago. I was driving on the highway doing about 60-65 when I hit death wobble. As awesome as this was I am debating on just dealing with it until I can lift it this summer (2.5in Rubicon Express). Should I even worry about it or just wait til I can buy the lift and install a new adj. track bar and maybe lower CA?

O|||||||O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Bill123

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJKU View Post
Just bought an 07 JKU a couple months ago. I was driving on the highway doing about 60-65 when I hit death wobble. As awesome as this was I am debating on just dealing with it until I can lift it this summer (2.5in Rubicon Express). Should I even worry about it or just wait til I can buy the lift and install a new adj. track bar and maybe lower CA?
You probably need to deal with it now. Installing a lift may not even address the underlying problem. I won't even begin to go into what the actual cause might be, but it's a problem that needs to be fixed.
SilverJKU likes this.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels
post #3 of 10 Old 11-01-2016, 09:59 AM
pentastarguy
2015 JK Wrangler 

awesome ? never experienced this, but i have never heard the word awesome to describe it.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-01-2016, 01:57 PM
RockyClymer
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Read this, best write up on DW on this forum:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...l#post12314298
SilverJKU likes this.

08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
16 JK Rubi with all the trimmings
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-03-2016, 08:01 PM
chestpo
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the same issue with my 07 JKU, my question is, should I take it to a dealer? Do you think they would have experience with death wobble and be able to fix the issue without replacing everything in the front end?
post #6 of 10 Old 12-03-2016, 08:53 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
If the dealer/mechanic tells you first off, you need a new steering stabilizer shock or WORSE yet 2. <run. a wack a mole attempt. Since a well set up and balanced-tired Jeep dont even need it.

Unless per chance the lift replaced a component that was the cause of it. Lifting it will only make it worse. Since most cheep lifts people get do nothing for lose of caster angle.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-04-2016, 07:10 AM
OutcastJeeps

Death wobble in your situation is most likely caused by loose or worn trackbar bushings, trackbar bolts, or an enlarged hole in your trackbar bracket(s) from loose hardware.
With the jeep on the ground remove the trackbar hardware to inspect for an enlarged hole in the bracket. If it is normal and round, replace the hardware with 9/16" grade 8 bolt and nut, tighten your hardware to factory spec 125lb/ft.
Do not wait to do this, severe death wobble can cause loss of control, excessive/ accelerated wear of other parts.
If the trackbar checks out ok inspect your ball joints for wear. You can then move to unit bearings. This is all predicated on the fact that your tires are properly rotated, inflated, and balanced.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 Old 12-13-2016, 01:54 PM
saludalabs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Are you sure it was a death wobble. My death wobble in XJ was around 40 miles an hour. I was like old my god I am going to died, did not say awesome, said oh xxxx. The Jeep shake violently to point I had no real control of the Jeep, I had to let off the gas to get in control....
post #9 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Awesome is probably sarcasm, but it is always tough to tell over the internet whether it is actually has a death wobble or not. Every wobble is not a death wobble. Until you've experienced a proper death wobble, it's tough to know the difference. 65 is pretty fast for a death wobble, but great range for tire imbalance
post #10 of 10 Old 12-31-2016, 10:30 AM
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

On my '07, I did this. Replaced the stabilizer, it was bad. Installed a steering box reenforcement, which gave me a new track bar mount. And lastly, replaced all of the fully threaded undersized bolts with the proper size grade 8 shoulder bolts. Haven't had DW since.

Tags
death wobble , jku

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in