2019 jlur 2.0 Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep JL Wrangler Next Jeep

2019 jlur 2.0

Email Bookmark Print
Kcooks12

Jeep Information

Pulled the trigger on a 2019 JLUR 2.0 automatic a week ago. So far it's stock with 850 happy miles. Bought with 125 on the odometer. Had one minor issue so far with start stop malfunction light but it hasn't returned after cycling ignition. I checked the know problem areas for shorts and I dont have those issues. I will be dropping off at the dealership just to have them double check everything anyways. Sounds like low voltage battery will also trigger this malfunction.

I was considering waiting for the new diesel motor. I'm coming from a 2001 TJ 4.0 5 speed with a laundry list of upgrades. Went to a JL because I rented a 4 door this summer to try it out and the stock Rubicon felt like it conquered some Ouray area trails (imogene, engineer, corkscrew, few others) easier than my TJ minus the ground clearance. I will be staying stock in the JL for this upcoming season minus some bumpers, winch, and skid plates. I know some of you will say lift before skids... I say metalcloak full skid system gives me peace of mind dragging this beast across rocks if the time comes.

In the future I will be going either 2.5 lift on 35s or 3.5 lift on 37s. This is the lady's daily driver and our overland toy. I'm not going to be doing anything crazy with it and the most extreme trail will probably be the infamous Rubicon Trail sometime in 2022. People run that in stock JLs and I'd run it after my winch and skid plate upgrade alone. Tires and lift will just be bonus. With that said we will be running thousands of mild to moderate trail miles each season.

So why am I posting? Well... for giggles and grins mostly. Also because I want to provide some real feedback on this 2.0 and the JL. I recall reading forums when the TJ came out and all the people were nervous about this newfound electronic sorcery Jeep added, also... leafsprings for life! Then the JK where Jeep destroyed the 2 door beauty that we all love... heard comments about ditching the 4.0 being a mistake and 4 doors being a mommy wagon. Of course the 3.8 hiccup was notable, but the 3.6 seems to have a similar cult following as the 4.0 did. Now of course the JL strikes joy and fear in the heart of jeepers. Will it be reliable? Is the 2.0 motor a mistake? Will diesel crown a new king?

I debated all three power plants, I can tell you after driving the 3.6 and the 2.0, the 2.0 is more fun. For us. If you like turbo motors you'll like it, if you don't you wont. Simple as that. Regarding the 48 volt mild hybrid system, I'm not concerned about the coolant lines running underneath to the 48 volt battery. Your fuel lines run along the frame and you don't hear people complaining about smashing one on a rock. Also, with upgraded skid plates and careful spotting I cannot see a situation where the underbelly of this jeep is any scarier than any other jeep.

We drive between 20-25k miles a year between commuting, road trips, trails, overland camping, etc. We'll be towing our 6x8 jumping jack trailer a lot of the time which weights about 1,750 -2,000 pounds after loading the top with gear. The trailer has brakes which we will use via a wireless controller. If the 2.0 was a monumental mistake I'll let you know. If it's a raging success I'll let you know.

I'm not so much interested in unfounded opinions about what if scenarios. If you bought the 3.6 because it's the engine you wanted, congratulations! It's a jeep and you're going to have fun. If you're waiting for the diesel, congratulations! It'll be a jeep and you're going to have fun. If you're like me and bought a 2.0, congratulations! It's a jeep and you're going to have fun. 2 door vs 4 door? Auto vs manual? All jeeps, let's go have some fun on the trails. Only thing I don't understand is buying a wrangler to solely commute.... but to each their own and those people will flood the used market with some amazing deals for all of us in 10 years or so.

*Unsure if I'm selling the TJ or not.

Tags
None

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome