Your Opinion on my lift ideas? Please help - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:13 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
Maybe it's because I'm somewhat inexperienced with differential gears, but I dont see what is wrong in the pic. And by the way we weren't disagreeing about the strength of the gears (because thats what I'm assuming you meant) he disagreed with 33"s and 3.73 gears, which is completely fine to run with the 32RH transmission. I understand that 33"s on a D35 is a little sketchy, but plenty of people run them without problems, and if I see a need to upgrade it I will.
and plenty of people have problems.

01 TJ,33X12.5Falken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:16 PM
J03_TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar
We are only three weeks out from what is probably the biggest week of the year for almost all the vendors in this market. Not really a good excuse when it comes to running a business, but it perhaps should not be surprising if it takes a little longer than usual for people to respond. It is what it is in some cases and you deal with it or take your business elsewhere.
Sounds like a pretty good wheeling trip.
post #48 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Trevlaw, keep you BB . Save your money for a dana 44 (or other similar axle). Re-gear it, lock it, get a bodylift , 33s, disconnect your front sway bar and a winch and you will get further down the trail then the fanciest suspension and your dana 35.
Well I already have a an XRC winch and I don't need to regear if I run 33"s. I don't understand all of the negative comments on trying to increase my flex, but instead install a D44. All I would be gaining would be a stronger differential and the ability to lock it, which is probably at least $2,000. Why can't I increase flex to keep the tires on the ground and maintain traction and possibly lock the front D30. With my plan I'm gaining larger tires, ability for a tummy tuck, more clearance at the diffs, increased flex, and nice control arms for about the same price as just a locked D44

post #49 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
My plan for the suspension isn't even that "fancy", it's basically just a 3" suspension lift, which lots of people do, I'm just trying to add some cheap fab work for longer shocks, which is still a very common practice with people on this forum.
post #50 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I already have a an XRC winch and I don't need to regear if I run 33"s. I don't understand all of the negative comments on trying to increase my flex, but instead install a D44. All I would be gaining would be a stronger differential and the ability to lock it, which is probably at least $2,000. Why can't I increase flex to keep the tires on the ground and maintain traction and possibly lock the front D30. With my plan I'm gaining larger tires, ability for a tummy tuck, more clearance at the diffs, increased flex, and nice control arms for about the same price as just a locked D44
Because I have never been stuck for hours behind somebody with a broken flex.

Even with both tires on the ground that doesn't mean each tire has the same amount of down force. Tire contact doesn't always=traction. Locking your front can reduce maneuverability. I wouldn't want a front locker unless it was a selectable one.

01 TJ,33X12.5Falken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #51 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't understand all of the negative comments on trying to increase my flex, but instead install a D44.
Not everyone gets 4 pages of replies, you have probably because you're asking competent questions.
Must be a reason a lot of people are saying the same thing.
We're trying to help you increase the capabilities of the vehicle as a whole.
Again your shocks currently afford you 9" of travel, at best you're going to get 3" more than that, likely only 1-2".
You agree that the budget for those two inches is in the same ballpark as a new locked rear.
You simply don't want to accept that one will give you a lot more capabilities than the other.
It's your Jeep, I'll try to share knowledge either way...

How about this thought.
What has a better resale value, your TJ with it's current suspension with a locked d44, or a cut up & welded frame with more travel on an open d35?
Why is one worth more than the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
Not everyone gets 4 pages of replies, you have probably because you're asking competent questions.
Must be a reason a lot of people are saying the same thing.
We're trying to help you increase the capabilities of the vehicle as a whole.
Again your shocks currently afford you 9" of travel, at best you're going to get 3" more than that, likely only 1-2".
You agree that the budget for those two inches is in the same ballpark as a new locked rear.
You simply don't want to accept that one will give you a lot more capabilities than the other.
It's your Jeep, I'll try to share knowledge either way...

How about this thought.
What has a better resale value, your TJ with it's current suspension with a locked d44, or a cut up & welded frame with more travel on an open d35?
Why is one worth more than the other.
I understand that I am only going to get 1" - 3" more travel, but that is at each wheel and that will add up. With increased flex the Jeep will stay more level going over obstacles, right? I think I'd rather have more flex than a locker in the rear to help push me over stuff with one wheel coming off the ground. My dad has a setup similar to this, fully loaded with ARB lockers front and rear and I just haven't seen the need for them (neither has he) that everybody says they provide. I'm not saying they aren't helpful, but with his 4" - 6" up travel and 10" downtravel on 35"s he hardly ever needs to use his lockers for what we see in the Pacific Northwest. The most we ever used them was hardcore stuff on Metal Masher and similar trails in Moab. I don't see hardly any deep mud, mostly just dry stuff, some rocks and snow.

As for the resale value, I am never selling my Jeep so that isn't an issue for me haha. I see the benefits of each, but right now the suspension is more of a priority for me, hence the reason why I started this thread about the SUSPENSION. I'm not trying to argue the reasons for lockers, I just want to have as many kinks out of my lift plan as possible before I buy the parts and do it.
post #53 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
There is a D44 out of a 2000 grand Cherokee with 3.73 gears for $260. Would that be a bolt in swap, or how much fab work would be needed
post #54 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 04:20 PM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw
There is a D44 out of a 2000 grand Cherokee with 3.73 gears for $260. Would that be a bolt in swap, or how much fab work would be needed
Nope, and it's a Dana 44a. It's a junk rear axle with little in the way of aftermarket support. Another option is a Ford Explorer 8.8. You can get them for next to nothing and weld on bracket kits are about $225.00.
post #55 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hmm ok thanks, I thought the housing looked a little funny. Any other D44 look alikes to avoid?
post #56 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just out of curiosity what makes the D44a worse than the D44
post #57 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 05:01 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post

Sounds like a pretty good wheeling trip.
Poor Gerald can't ride in the race car in races any more! Back issues or something. He has been I think spending a lot of time with Jessie Combs getting her ready to drive their car though.
post #58 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 05:01 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what makes the D44a worse than the D44
Mostly lack of after market support.
post #59 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Is it any less strong than the D44. Would I not be able to get brackets to mount it or what?
post #60 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 05:41 PM
J03_TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw
Is it any less strong than the D44. Would I not be able to get brackets to mount it or what?
I think it might be aluminum.

Tags
8.8 swap , advice , metalcloak , savvy , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in