Your Opinion on my lift ideas? Please help - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just out of curiosity what is the length from bottom perch to top perch in the front for the coil springs at full compression?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Does anyone know a good thread for the front upper shock extension, I can't seem to find one with pictures that will load. Is it necessary to have a BL to do this, or would it be possible to extend the shock tower through the fenderwell?
post #33 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:10 AM
anigrelli
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
An inch or two more wheel travel, and a diff that's a 1/2" higher out of the rocks is not going to deliver the night and day performance delta that deeper gearing and a pair of lockers would.
You think 33" tires on your setup is fine with stock gears... I disagree.
You already have a nice set of shocks, if they're not old or worn out, why replace them first?
RDA616's number is right from what I've seen, the Currie 3" spring is 20" out of the box, not sure compressed though.
That's just my 2 cents.

Just to back him up on stock gearing with 33s this is what happens to your ring and pinion, with stock gears and 33s ... imageuploadedbyag-free1452665401.864911.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #34 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Maybe it's because I'm somewhat inexperienced with differential gears, but I dont see what is wrong in the pic. And by the way we weren't disagreeing about the strength of the gears (because thats what I'm assuming you meant) he disagreed with 33"s and 3.73 gears, which is completely fine to run with the 32RH transmission. I understand that 33"s on a D35 is a little sketchy, but plenty of people run them without problems, and if I see a need to upgrade it I will.
post #35 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ok so I just got done in the garage getting all of my measurements and this is as the Jeep sits right now...

2" BB with no bumpstop extensions in front
Front -
- Stock spring ride height = 11.25"
- Bottom of isolation pad to the bottom spring perch = 13.25" (this is where the 2" BB comes into play)
- Shock ride height (top of can to middle of eye) = 18"
- Shock at full extension (top of can to middle of eye) = 22.25"
- Total down travel in the front = 4.25"
- Total up travel in front = 4.75"
- I think at full compression I can fit roughly an 8" compressed spring without binding
-From top of tire to fender = 7"

2" BB I think the teraflex BB kit came with 2" rear bumpstop extensions
Rear -
- Stock Spring Ride Height = 7.25" - 7.5"
- Top perch to bottom Perch = 9.25" (from 2" BB again)
- Shock ride height (middle of eye to middle of eye) = 17.75" - 18"
- Shock at full extension (middle of eye to middle of eye) = 22"
- Total down travel in the rear = 4" - 4.25"
- Total up travel in rear (based off of compressed and extended lengths in one of mudb8's posts) = 4.5"
- From top of tire to fender = 8.5"

Based off of mudb8's post the stock front shocks compressed to 13". After measuring the distance inside the fenderwell, it seems like I would be able to extend the front upper shock mounts about 3.5" - 4" with a 1.25" BL installed. This means that I could probably fit 17" compressed shocks in without any bumpstop extensions. I don't know any specific shocks, but I think this would land me somewhere in the 12" - 13" travel range, right?

Reading from this link https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...ements-638947/ it states that spring ride height for a stock TJ should be 12" and 8" where mine measure out right now at 11.25" and 7.25". Do you guys think my springs may have sagged .75" with only 57,000 miles on the Jeep?

These are my estimated numbers assuming I go with say Savvy 3" springs assuming that a stock spring ride height is 12" front and 8" rear with a 4" front shock mount extension and no bumpstop extensions in the front

Front -
- Stock spring ride height = 15"
- At full compression the distance between perches is about 8"
- Shock ride height (top of mount to middle of eye) = 23"
- Shock at full extension (top of mount to middle of eye) = ?
- Total down travel in the front = ?
- Total up travel in front = 7" ( 15 - 8 = 7)
- I think at full compression I can fit roughly an 8" compressed spring without binding
- Top of tire to fender = 8" (7" + 2"(from lift) - 1"(from 33" tires) = 8" clearance)

Rear -
- Stock Spring Ride Height = 11"
- Top perch to bottom Perch = 11"
- Shock ride height (middle of eye to middle of eye) = N/A (outboard)
- Shock at full extension (middle of eye to middle of eye) = N/A (outboard)
- Total down travel in the rear = ?
- Total up travel clearance in rear = 9.5" (8.5" + 2"(from lift) - 1"(from 33" tires) = 9.5")

To me it seems that if I can run no bumpstop extension in the fronts I should have clearance for about 7" of uptravel. I understand that these are just estimations and will probably be less than that since the axle flexes at an angle so say 5" up travel at the spring will equate to maybe like 7" at the tire, so I would need some extensions, but thats to be determine when I get the parts. I think I may try to get shocks to cap the up travel around 5" with bumpstop extensions to give me some more down travel as well. I feel like I have analyzed the front axle pretty well and with the 20" long currie springs they would start to unseat around 5" of droop, but I may get the +.5" front and rear to give it a bit more length. I feel like this set up will give me a large amount of flex to keep the tires on the ground as much as possible

If you see anything I did wrong or have any suggestions please feel free to share, sorry for the wall of text lol
post #36 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 07:24 AM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
Do you guys think my springs may have sagged .75" with only 57,000 miles on the Jeep?
Passenger side, sure. Driver side, maybe.
Your 15" at ride height number for the Currie coil is what I just measured on mine, albeit with a slightly different driveline than yours.

Quote:
If you see anything I did wrong or have any suggestions please feel free to share, sorry for the wall of text lol
Don't forget the isolators, the fronts are about 5/8", the rears are maybe 1/4". You can add/change them to increase height, but you can't go much lower than a rear in the front.
I think Mudb8's "git ta cuttin" thread has an extended front tower in it somewhere.
There's a pic of the 3" Currie coils in this post, one almost fully collapsed and one just barely unseated, illustrating the 10" I'm getting out of them.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/...l#post14955799

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
In that picture what is your setup? Just the 3" coils and 33s? Were the shocks what was limiting your downtravel?
post #38 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 AM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have seen Mr Blaine comment when it is left up to him he sets the front up for 11" travel and the rear 12" travel.

You need to take into account you will still need bumpstop extension for tire clearance. Your track bar and steering can only travel so far without binding issues as well. There is a lot more to think about than just the travel a shock will be capable of.
post #39 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 PM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
I have seen Mr Blaine comment when it is left up to him he sets the front up for 11" travel and the rear 12" travel.

You need to take into account you will still need bumpstop extension for tire clearance. Your track bar and steering can only travel so far without binding issues as well. There is a lot more to think about than just the travel a shock will be capable of.
This.

Quote:
In that picture what is your setup? Just the 3" coils and 33s? Were the shocks what was limiting your downtravel?
If you want more info about my setup it's all in that thread.
Your inverted Y steering will afford you more uptravel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I understand I will need bumpstops but I think with 33s and around 4.5" of lift I won't need a lot for tire clearance. What do you mean by inverted Y, just the stock setup? I would be very please to get 11" travel front and 12" in the rear
post #41 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Anyone know how long it takes Gerald at savvy or the MC guys to respond, I emailed them two days ago and haven't heard back
post #42 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 12:50 PM
J03_TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw
Anyone know how long it takes Gerald at savvy or the MC guys to respond, I emailed them two days ago and haven't heard back
Depends if there is a wheeling trip in the mix. Some vendors like wheeling more than they like customers. Lol, bad joke I know.
post #43 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 01:00 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Depends if there is a wheeling trip in the mix. Some vendors like wheeling more than they like customers. Lol, bad joke I know.
We are only three weeks out from what is probably the biggest week of the year for almost all the vendors in this market. Not really a good excuse when it comes to running a business, but it perhaps should not be surprising if it takes a little longer than usual for people to respond. It is what it is in some cases and you deal with it or take your business elsewhere.
post #44 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Trevlaw, keep you BB . Save your money for a dana 44 (or other similar axle). Re-gear it, lock it, get a bodylift , 33s, disconnect your front sway bar and a winch and you will get further down the trail then the fanciest suspension and your dana 35.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #45 of 251 Old 01-13-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Speak of the devil MC just got back to me. They must be watching lol

Tags
8.8 swap , advice , metalcloak , savvy , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in