Your Opinion on my lift ideas? Please help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 251 Old 01-11-2016, 05:45 PM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffnasty
My advice is to avoid OME in the rear if you want more than 2" out of them. I am currently looking to replace them, perhaps with Currie 3". OME's are simply too soft unless you are running airbags or have a very light jeep, IMO.
I got 3.5" out of my 942 rears. It's all about weight placement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 251 Old 01-11-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ok thank you for that. I'd probably want to get that MC fronts then just for the added free length. Do the Currie 3" rears also come with that ±.5" option. What is the necessary bumpstop extension for the Currie 3" in the rear? Does the necessary bumpstop extension depend on whether or not the spring perches are relocated during the outboard process, or are they the same either way?

Do the MC springs usually give the advertised amount of lift or are they a little above or under? I'd like to stay around 3" or 3.5" of suspension lift so the jeep doesn't look funny on 33"s with the 3 - 3.5" suspension lift with the 1.25" BL
post #18 of 251 Old 01-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks
I call B/S on this one. I put the heavy springs on and the ride is OK as long as the hardtop is on. My LJ is about 5200 lbs.
I should have mentioned I have the 'light duty' springs, but that is surprising to hear since OME lists the heavy duty as being only about 20lbs/in heavier.

post #19 of 251 Old 01-11-2016, 07:28 PM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

With a heavy v8 I got 3.5" out of my MC fronts.

The rear Curries do have the -,+ option.

The rear bumpstop extension will very depending on which spring you choose. You could email Gerald Lee for compressed spring heights.
post #20 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

double post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My 3" Currie front springs have 12 windings and wire that's about 1/2", so about 6" is your compressed length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
Ok thank you for that. I'd probably want to get that MC fronts then just for the added free length.
With your shock top relocated, you might be able to use all of it, but make sure you find out the compressed length because you might lose uptravel to the coil compression.
I have 10" of travel in the front, 4" up & 6" down, and don't unseat the Currie coil, but have 2ish" of bumpstop for steering constraints.
By my numbers, the Currie spring allows for 14" of movement.
A foot is probably your target number. Depending exactly what you relocate and what springs & shocks you purchase, you might not get that.
So with your current 9" travel shocks you're going to get a couple more inches, but that's about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
When you say you have 2" of bumpstop for steering constraints, would I also need that 2" assuming that my shock clear without bumpstops
post #23 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I did some reading and the MC 3.5" springs are rated at 3.5" for a fully loaded TJ, and my TJ is anything but that. I feel like if I got those I might get around 4" and I don't want that since I'm going to do a 1.25" BL, because I think it'd look funny with 4.5"+ of lift and 33s.

I might get the savvy 3" front and rear or maybe 3.5" savvy springs
post #24 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 10:12 AM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The difference between 3.5" and 4" isn't going to be very noticeable. My old 3" Currie front springs gave me 3" on the same rig my 3.5 MC springs are giving me 3.5" on.
post #25 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 10:38 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did some reading and the MC 3.5" springs are rated at 3.5" for a fully loaded TJ, and my TJ is anything but that. I feel like if I got those I might get around 4" and I don't want that since I'm going to do a 1.25" BL, because I think it'd look funny with 4.5"+ of lift and 33s.
5.25" lift with 33's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #26 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 01:58 PM
dustymc
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The Metalcloak fronts are about 24" free. The "herp derp you need to run 8 feet of bumpstop" crap that shows up in every single MC thread is mostly BS - I certainly ran out of shock (and fender) well before the springs collapsed, anyway.

My MC 3.5s settled down to around +2 inches and were so soft that I was constantly on my bumpstops in the rough stuff. Metalcloak seemed to think that was fairly normal. I asked around a bit and they seem to be all over the place - some people get the advertised height, some don't. I'm not sure if they're sensitive to weight or differ across batches or what. My Jeep is fairly average - winch, moderate bumpers, aluminum belly, occasional hard top. I switched to Currie and like them a lot better - I'm right at advertised lift height and the ride improvement, especially fast on rough trails, is significant. If you have a light Jeep or maybe a different driving style (slow in big rocks?), I'd sell you my springs.
post #27 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When you say you have 2" of bumpstop for steering constraints, would I also need that 2" assuming that my shock clear without bumpstops
If your tires don't hit the fenders, if your diff cover doesn't hit the track bar or bracket, if your drag link doesn't hit the frame, if your coils don't bind...
What I was getting at is I have 2" of bumpstops strictly for straight link crossover high steering, and 10" of travel "under" that.
Your steering won't be like that so you can probably get those 2".
You currently have 9" of travel in your shocks, I expect your list will get you more than that, but I don't think it will get you more than a foot up front on stock-ish geometry.
That's just my opinion though, it doesn't matter what I think, you need to get the parts and install them, and cycle it, and find out yourself.

post #28 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 03:47 PM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustymc
The Metalcloak fronts are about 24" free. The "herp derp you need to run 8 feet of bumpstop" crap that shows up in every single MC thread is mostly BS.
Not 24" they are 22.5". http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Wran...ont-p/7060.htm

A little math for you. The stock rear spring spacing at full bump ( meaning the cup planted on the bottom spring bucket) is 3 5/8". The collapsed length of a MC 3.5" rear spring is 6.5". This means you need 3" of bumpstop extension in the rear just to avoid coil bind. It isn't BS it's basic mathematic. http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Wran...ear-p/7061.htm
post #29 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 05:04 PM
dustymc
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
A little math for you. The stock rear spring spacing at full bump ( meaning the cup planted on the bottom spring bucket) is 3 5/8". The collapsed length of a MC 3.5" rear spring is 6.5". This means you need 3" of bumpstop extension in the rear just to avoid coil bind. It isn't BS it's basic mathematic. http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Wran...ear-p/7061.htm
I don't think I was clear. You may be right, but it's not a concern for most of us with sorta-normal shocks mounted in sorta-normal places with sorta-normal tires under sorta-normal fenders; all of that stuff sets the bumpstops, not the fully-collapsed spring.
post #30 of 251 Old 01-12-2016, 05:15 PM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustymc
I don't think I was clear. You may be right, but it's not a concern for most of us with sorta-normal shocks mounted in sorta-normal places with sorta-normal tires under sorta-normal fenders; all of that stuff sets the bumpstops, not the fully-collapsed spring.
Looks like a picture of their 4.5" springs which have a 24" free length.

3" of rear bumpstop extension on a rig with a 33" tire on stock fenders with a 1.25" body lift is to much of a loss. Even with a 10" travel rear OME Shock they market in the MC kit you only need 2.5"of bumpstop extension on a stock mounting point. That spring is a limiting factor in up travel in those very normal setups.

Tags
8.8 swap , advice , metalcloak , savvy , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in