For you guys in the Rust Belt, how do you guys manage the rust from road salts? - JeepForum.com
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By bobjp
  • 1 Post By Dr. Internet
  • 3 Post By TheBoogieman
  • 1 Post By rcroane
  • 1 Post By grogie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-13-2020, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
finchmeister08

2006 TJ Wrangler 

For you guys in the Rust Belt, how do you guys manage the rust from road salts?

Moving to Northeast Indiana in March due to my job relocating, and my TJ is in pretty great shape with low miles (87K). I hate to bring it with me and just watch it eat itself over the next few years. I've considered selling it due to this fact because I know I can get more for it now than later.

Are there any precautions up there that I should know about if I decide to keep it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A second vehicle for the winter is the best way. The things below help, but will not stop rust.

Paint the inside of the frame and torque boxes with Eastwoods.
Paint the outside of the frame and tub with Chassis Saver or similar.
Spray all the typical spots for rust with Fluid Film.
Wash very frequently. Keep in mind that you will wash off Fluid Film.

A second car really isn't that expensive. $4000 will get you a decent car if you're patient, and if you aren't commuting far you can get any old beater for a lot less. Throw basic coverage on it for a couple hundred $ per year or only the months you want to insure it.

This is essentially what I have done. My Jeep would be long gone if I daily drove it in the winter. No vehicle can handle this environment long term.
Ross likes this.

97 TJ sport.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-13-2020, 03:40 PM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on all of that.

eastwood internal frame coating and fluid film helps a lot.

drain holes ~6" from the control arm mounts is a good idea.

best way that i have found is parking the jeeps in a garage from oct till april

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Move

I had a '78 CJ-7 on Long Island. Lasted one winter, got body cancer, and literally fell apart.
Now I live in So TX, have an '06 LJ and no rust. Also, no snow, sleet, ice, etc.

You should consider it...
lindel likes this.

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29
post #5 of 15 Old 01-13-2020, 10:34 PM
sycboi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
A second vehicle for the winter is the best way. The things below help, but will not stop rust.

Paint the inside of the frame and torque boxes with Eastwoods.
Paint the outside of the frame and tub with Chassis Saver or similar.
Spray all the typical spots for rust with Fluid Film.
Wash very frequently. Keep in mind that you will wash off Fluid Film.

A second car really isn't that expensive. $4000 will get you a decent car if you're patient, and if you aren't commuting far you can get any old beater for a lot less. Throw basic coverage on it for a couple hundred $ per year or only the months you want to insure it.

This is essentially what I have done. My Jeep would be long gone if I daily drove it in the winter. No vehicle can handle this environment long term.
All very sage advice. I park mine in the Winter. I’d love to drive it year round, but will not risk the salt damage. I used to drive my old TJ year round. Northern Ohio salted roads were extremely rough on her. My “new” TJ, I internal frame coated the frame, torque/mounting boxes, and every other crevice I could. I raptor lined the bottom of the tub and inside the tub. With all that protection I still refuse to drive it during the Winter...

SuperBeast, enforcer for the Mopar Mafia ̿ '̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2020, 05:13 AM
spiydr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I have two Jeeps (2001 XJ and 2004 TJ). Both are driven in the winter here in Cincinnati. Frequent washes and fluid film. No rust issues.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-14-2020, 07:13 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Keep it clean as you can. I was under my Jeeps often. twice a year I get underneath and clean EVERYTHING I possible can and then I paint it.

Though out the year I clean underneath and touch up wit paint as needed.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #8 of 15 Old 01-14-2020, 07:13 AM
jeep63

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I'll just add my confirmation on all of the above steps. My son's 06 LJ had a spotless frame inside and out when we bought it. We did all of the above steps since it is his DD. He also applies fluid film every November inside the frame and all underneath. I was just under there and it is still well coated. imho the drain holes are the most important step; got to give water someplace to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 YJ-Sold
YJOTM 05/15,05/18
post #9 of 15 Old 01-14-2020, 07:44 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The best thing you can do to keep it looking great is sell it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-14-2020, 09:31 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
My last Jeep (XJ) started rusting beyond my ability to fix (which isn't saying much) after 19 years of New England winters. I washed it every week during the winter, and did my best to POR-15 areas that were prone to rust, but eventually that is why I had to get rid of it, particularly because of the lower inside doors.

My solution was to buy a TJ from California, and I daily drive my BMW, which has a galvanized body and holds up better to corrosion. My more permanent solution in the future is to likely move south. Somewhere like NC or TN most likely, maybe even VA. Up here in CT they are just so afraid of driving without an inch of salt on the roads. Last weekend we had some oddly warm weather (60s) and at night I still saw a salt truck.

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #11 of 15 Old 01-15-2020, 06:39 AM
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ had some internal frame rust issues that I think I've managed to get under control. But, to keep it that way, I stop driving it at the first application of salt on the roads and don't start again until after the Spring rains. It sucks, but I think it's the only sure fire way to stop the progression. I also have a vintage Volkswagen and have to do the same thing.
Ross likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-15-2020, 06:56 AM
JeepingNet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I do a lot of what already was mentioned but figured I'd show what I do. I'm in New Brunswick Canada right on the Ocean and we use a tonne of salt.

Prep:
Cleaned out the frame really good and did East Wood. On the underside of the body and frame I did POR15.

Winter:
Though the winter I try to give it a good clean each time we have a warm period making sure to focus on the rear frame and center.

Spring:
I give the Jeep a good degreasing and flush the frame out a few times.
Then I topcoat any areas I see bleed through with a rattle can semi-gloss.

Fall:
Give a good flush of the frame and then use 2-3 cans of fluid film. Normally one just on the frame and another on any small holes I can get the spray into.
Then after a couple of days I try to find a nice dusty road to drive up and down it a few times. I do find this really helps others would argue this is bad idea.

Note: I've found with Por15 it works well in areas that don't get rock damage. When it gets damaged it will come off in chunks. I have a video on youtube on my two-year thoughts of the product.

Colin Jennings
Trail - 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
Daily - 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L
post #13 of 15 Old 01-20-2020, 03:10 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
i park mine, and drive and old rusty truck.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #14 of 15 Old 01-27-2020, 04:30 PM
henderson49
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My "04 has been in Tennessee its whole life, never off road, and I have owned since 2006. I have had some internal frame rust and so far have just worked on getting the rust out of the frame with a shop vac and pressure washer. Have added two drain holes on each side, and will coat the inside of the frame soon. I know salt can be an issue, but mine is a daily driver and has rusted. Off course it is 16 years old, but the point is even without salt you have to watch it closely.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-28-2020, 04:25 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a Civic ten years ago. Wife was pissed, still is as women never forget! Jeep is safely sitting, and rust free, under a cover in the garage right now.
joe_jeep likes this.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in