post #31 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
provinT13

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
No trailer brakes?
Exactly. Rear discs won't help you, trailer brakes will

2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
kormanmike

it has already shown an improvment, yes trailer brakes would be great but that isnt the topic and yes the discs do help, probably not as much as trailer brakes but the issue wasnt finding a way to stop the trailer, the issue was replacing the rears and i got better results for cheaper than replacing what was damaged
post #33 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
joeksjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

WOW!!! I think jeepforum should start having a 2 week period and memebers to have to read a certain amount of threads before being able to post like many other forums im on. This guy is nuts, shows no repsect to anyone who repsonds to him and apparently doesnt read anything that is written, including what he writes.
For a normal everyday driver jeep that occasionally hauls loads that are only 1800lbs (half the weight of my jeep) (which is also safe compared to hauling any more weight) disc brakes in the rear do not provide a whole lot of difference besides in maintanence.

For a race car or a high performance huge tire offroad machine it provides a lil better braking, but at that point you have brake pressure controls to vary the pressure from front to back so you are not locking up the rears.

So if you are locking up the rears with discs compared to drums that makes it more unsafe then having a controlled slightly longer stopping distance, if it was any longer

92 Xj 190,XXX miles needs love, and a TURBO HA!
150RwHp, 186 Lbs torque Rw, and all at 175XXX miles in my Xj
DD 98 wrangler sport 5spd 4.0 106,XXX miles

Chrysler Factory Trained Jeep technician, and A.S.E. Certified Master Tech

post #34 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
kormanmike

so joe are you saying i didnt get a better deal paying under $200 for my rears?
post #35 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kormanmike View Post
so joe are you saying i didnt get a better deal paying under $200 for my rears?
I'd do it just for the ease of replacing the brakes.
post #36 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
kormanmike

i was going to need to replace everything including the backing plate and the wheel cylinders so i took this route because it was much cheaper but other than to cost i think its easier and i like it better. i think if so many people werent just here to argue they would agree. it would have cost around $600 but i did it for under $200 using a 97 cherokee's rears, the only thing that didnt match was the park brake cables but they bolted in easily. but i do have an issue, i need to change the pinion seal and the parts store told me there are 3 different ones and its a part they need to order, how do i know whick one to order???
post #37 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 02:00 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

By doing research on your own about something so simple, if your such a great "car guy" like you make it sound you wouldnt be relying on someone at an autoparts store who just reads what the computer tells them about your jeep.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #38 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i was going to need to replace everything including the backing plate and the wheel cylinders so i took this route because it was much cheaper but other than to cost i think its easier and i like it better. i think if so many people werent just here to argue they would agree. it would have cost around $600 but i did it for under $200 using a 97 cherokee's rears, the only thing that didnt match was the park brake cables but they bolted in easily. but i do have an issue, i need to change the pinion seal and the parts store told me there are 3 different ones and its a part they need to order, how do i know whick one to order???
Against my better judgement, but I believe there are only two rear Dana 44 pinion seals and the difference is one is flanged and one is not.

Were it me, I'd order both, use the one that fits and return the one that doesn't. Or, find a number on the seal that's in there.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #39 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
kormanmike

i dont know the part numbers so i figured id ask. but i guess since you have no clue you'll just act like a ******bag.
post #40 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
kormanmike

thanks blaine, ive changed them at the shop and i remember the older cherokee had 3 and 2 were identical but im not sure what to look for. ill take your route and order both i just wasnt sure if it was a well known jeep thing
post #41 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
LJameson

1990 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, my CJ7 has drums all around and has NO problem locking up 31's. Also, another thing to think about; if drums were so bad then why do 18-wheelers still use them all around?

1976 CJ7 Restoration:
post #42 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i dont know the part numbers so i figured id ask. but i guess since you have no clue you'll just act like a ******bag.
it just gets old seeing know it alls come on here and post simple questions about parts and part numbers. and i dont know off the top of my head but could figure it out pretty quick. thats the nice thing about the internet, you can find what your looking for with little effort.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #43 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
TNixon06TJ

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can we agree that this guy did good if his original repair was going to cost $600 (his estimate, not mine) and that he was able to put Disc brakes on for $200, which while the consensus is not necessarily an upgrade on the Jeeps, but definitely not a downfall either?

Stop arguing...everyone hug now.

I wouldn't do this as an out of the way upgrade, but in the same situation presented with the same $$$$ figures I would have done the same. But I wouldn't have come on here bragging about the benefits of my purchase, I would have stopped at "Hey...did disc conversion $400 cheaper than fixing my drums...keep that in mind if you have to do the same"

65th Anniversary Jeep Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFSahara
Having a Jeep is like having herpes, sure it'll act up from time to time, but you'll never get rid of it
post #44 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 PM
DBLJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNixon06TJ View Post
Can we agree that this guy did good if his original repair was going to cost $600 (his estimate, not mine) and that he was able to put Disc brakes on for $200, which while the consensus is not necessarily an upgrade on the Jeeps, but definitely not a downfall either?

Stop arguing...everyone hug now.

I wouldn't do this as an out of the way upgrade, but in the same situation presented with the same $$$$ figures I would have done the same. But I wouldn't have come on here bragging about the benefits of my purchase, I would have stopped at "Hey...did disc conversion $400 cheaper than fixing my drums...keep that in mind if you have to do the same"
Yes he did well with beating the repair, but he is saying that discs in the rear are better then drums, when his drums were crap. He cant argue when he didnt have peoper working drums.
post #45 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Gary2
2012 TJ Wrangler 

I give him credit for sticking with the thread as long as he did and I also feel he made the right decision based on his numbers .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in