Wrangler Magnum V8 Discussion - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 3032 Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass2020 View Post
Can you give any tips on the wiring? I assume you keep the engine harness completely intact and plug it into the dodge ecu? How did you start on the rest of it?
Everyone always asks about the wiring, and honestly, it's not that easy to answer. Here was how I did mine: I bought a Factory Service Manual for the donor vehicle which was a 97 Dodge Dakota off of eBay for like $30. I already had a Factory Service Manual (FSM) for my Jeep. I bought a spare Jeep 4.0 wiring harness off of eBay for $85.

When I removed the wiring harness off the donor 5.2, I labeled every single plug, both with numbers and a short description. I labeled the corresponding plug as well if it plugged into something. I then took that wiring harness and stripped all the muddy, greasy, filthy wiring loom and tape off of it. I bought a piece of plywood and I stood it on edge and drilled a couple holes in it so I could zip tie the three big plugs which plug into the ECM to the plywood.

I then ended up attaching the entire donor wiring harness to the plywood loosely zip tying near each plug after drilling holes for the zip ties. Then I took a black sharpie and wrote what each plug was on the plywood. I kept the donor harness on one side of the plywood. Then I took my new (used) 4.0 engine harness off eBay and attached it next to the donor harness on the plywood.

Once you do this (which, by the way was the suggestion of another guy on this forum RDA16 or something like that....) you will see the similarities in the harnesses. There are actually very few differences. This, however, was partially due to the fact that my Jeep is a 97 manual and my donor Dakota is a 97 manual. You get into other issues if mixing auto/manual trans or different years.

Ok, so when it comes to the actual changes on the wiring harness; the only significant change is depinning all your injectors off your stock harness, depinning all the injectors out of the donor harness and repinning them back into your stock harness.

That will get you started. Then what you do is look at the three big ECM plugs and find out what each pin does from the FSM. Then if it doesn't match up from the stock harness/ECM, you have to change it. Just take one plug at a time and follow each wire to each plug to make sure it does what you think it does.

There were a couple other changes on the harness, but I can't remember right now what they were. They were minor, though. The only real change was the injector wiring.

Keep in mind, I haven't actually started mine, so I could be completely effed up and just not know it yet....

Soon.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM
seabass2020
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post

Ok, so when it comes to the actual changes on the wiring harness; the only significant change is depinning all your injectors off your stock harness, depinning all the injectors out of the donor harness and repinning them back into your stock harness.

That will get you started. Then what you do is look at the three big ECM plugs and find out what each pin does from the FSM. Then if it doesn't match up from the stock harness/ECM, you have to change it. Just take one plug at a time and follow each wire to each plug to make sure it does what you think it does.
Thank you for the tips!!! I'm a little confused at why you would rewire the injectors. Don't you use the Engine harness from the dodge completely intact? I thought it was the other things, like the emissions, guages, etc. that had to be spliced.
post #33 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 AM
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I thought that too when I started, but quickly found that it would create more problems than it solved. In my case, it was way easier to use the stock jeep harness and add the injector wiring in. I think there was one other small plug I had to swap. I can't remember. I did it about a month ago and I have been so busy I can't remember specifically what I needed to change. It was two evenings of work though.

post #34 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 AM
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have seen where several people use the donor vehicle evaporation canister and leak detection pump solenoid in addition to the stock evap canister and leak detection pump. I have no idea why people do this. I have seen a couPle posts where guys use only the stock jeep stuff. I'm planning to use the stock jeep stuff. I will post my results. This is a slight difference in the wiring harness. On my jeep that is part of the chassis harness. On the dodge, it is part of the engine harness. It will make sense when you get into it.
post #35 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 03:34 AM
marktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff
I'm also in the middle of this swap. After pulling the stock 4.0, I started on the front suspension. Figured it would be easier with the engine out. It's just a custom mid arm setup. I bought a whole 97 Dakota with 5.2. Even drove it home. I bought a stock 97 jeep wiring harness off eBay so I would have less downtime. The wiring was by far the easiest part. Helps that the Dakota is a five speed and I'm keeping my stock ax15. I dOnt know about the 5.2 fitting with just moving the advance adapters motor mounts aft. My firewall would not let the engine sit far enough to the rear to bolt to the bell housing. I had to move transfer case and trans about two and a half inches forward and fab a new transfer case mount on the skid plate. I also used a zj power steering bracket as I had purchased a PSC power steering pump with the aluminum reservoir a few months back. I have to hook the wiring up to the engine, finish some plumbing, attempt to make the stock exhaust manifolds work and mod the stock shifter since I moved everything so far forward.
Hey im also doing this swap and keeping my ax15. I see that you had clearance issues at the firewall? I was wondering if you have a body lift and if you think that would have helped. I ripped into my wiring last night and the motor should be here today!
post #36 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 AM
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Mark; yes I have a 1.25" body lift, so it didn't help. I only needed about a quarter inch or so to have been able to make it work, but I chose instead to move everything forward. I had intended to use my ax15 which as far as I know, no one else has done; use the donor exhaust manifolds and use the donor fan. So far, none of that is working out. The fan is. 20" fan and won't fit in the stock shroud I may try to use my stock jeep fan. Id rather not use an electric fan if I can get away with it. The exhaust manifolds won't work for me partially because that is where my upper control arm mount is and partially. E ause I would have to cut some firewall. I ordered headers yesterday.

You do know you need the bell housing from a dodge 3.9 that had the manual trans, right? Stock will not bolt up.
post #37 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 AM
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also, someone asked about the stock steering pump. I used mine because I have hydro assist and I bought the cool PSC hi performance pumps so I wanted to keep it. You. Red a ZJ power steering pump bracket. I got mine off amazon for $23. I also bought a PSC replacement pump for the 5.2 just in case I couldn't make my pump work. Use the stock pulley which is considerably smaller than the 5.2 pulley. This causes belt issues. I'm on my fifth belt trying to find one that will fit. partially. Ecause I forgot to measure every time I went to Autozone. I would just try to estimate the size. I think I have that problem solved now though.

I also used a new 11" clutch for a Dodge Ram. Fits in the 3.9 bell housing just fine.
post #38 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 PM
marktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks, thats what i have too-1.25" BL. I am willing to trim or clearance the tub to make it work. I have heard of a few others that have retained the AX15 so there must be a way. And yes im about to order a used 94-99 3.9l manual bellhousing from a dakota. Nice to see you can run an 11" clutch i was wondering about that. In other news i got my motor today! Needs a few things but im gonna pretty much run it as is for now. Also got my ucf ultra high clearance skid today it is dang near flat! Keep us posted on your progress. Im a little behind you as im building up from the frame up ha. Heres some pics from today.

forumrunner_20120822_191930.jpg

forumrunner_20120822_191845.jpg
post #39 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 PM
seabass2020
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure it's 94-99 bell housing? On the junkyard search I saw some 92s coming up with the later ones, so i was wondering of that would work.
post #40 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 PM
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's pretty cool that you are doing it from a bare frame. All kinds of options. I ordered my headers last night and my radiator today. I also dropped off my driveshafts to have them lengthened and shortened, respectively. Hoping to see if it will fire this coming weekend.
post #41 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 PM
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass2020 View Post
Are you sure it's 94-99 bell housing? On the junkyard search I saw some 92s coming up with the later ones, so i was wondering of that would work.
I'm not positive, but 94-99 sounds about right. I searched on car-part.com for mine. I think it was $100 shipped or something like that.
post #42 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 PM
seabass2020
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff

I'm not positive, but 94-99 sounds about right. I searched on car-part.com for mine. I think it was $100 shipped or something like that.
That's why I was asking, on car part some 92s were showing up
post #43 of 3032 Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 PM
greenmachine99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktj97
Alright thanks, thats what i have too-1.25" BL. I am willing to trim or clearance the tub to make it work. I have heard of a few others that have retained the AX15 so there must be a way. And yes im about to order a used 94-99 3.9l manual bellhousing from a dakota. Nice to see you can run an 11" clutch i was wondering about that. In other news i got my motor today! Needs a few things but im gonna pretty much run it as is for now. Also got my ucf ultra high clearance skid today it is dang near flat! Keep us posted on your progress. Im a little behind you as im building up from the frame up ha. Heres some pics from today.
Not to derail but where in md are you? I'm doing this same swap right now in Hagerstown.

Sent from my iPhone while I shouldn't be on my iPhone.
post #44 of 3032 Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 AM
seabass2020
2001 TJ Wrangler 

One more question for those using the nv3550. Do you use the crankshaft sensor for the jeep or get a 5.2 sensor?
post #45 of 3032 Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 AM
marktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Im down in southern MD, Lexington Park. We are basically on opposite ends of the state ha. My brother lives in Hagerstown though, so maybe we can race our v8s one day if I come to visit him ha. On the bellhousing thing, I saw some 92s and 93s on car-part too, but I read in several places that it should be 94-99 so I will stick to that range. Hopefully with all of us doing this we can nail down some of these details for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in