Won't turn over, it's not the battery - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By PurpleTJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-22-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
PurpleTJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Won't turn over, it's not the battery

Jeep has been sitting in the garage all winter. Now it won't turn over, just an audible click when I turn the key. I've trickle charged the battery, the terminals have been cleaned and they are tight. The ground at the firewall is also tight. I'm not sure what to check next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Load test the battery, whack the starter with a brass hammer....check relays, check wiring for corrosion or critters feasting on them, pull off the ground wire and make sure it isn't corroded inside it's insulation... That's where I would start anyway.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
PurpleTJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I turn the key to aux dash lights come on, but no mileage display. I try to start it and get one click, then nothing.
How do I check the starter relay?

Quote:
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

post #5 of 7 Old 04-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not having the odometer come on when you turn the key troubles me though. Trickle charger or not I would load test that battery first.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
PurpleTJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just got it started. Thanks for your help! I put it back on the trickle after my last post, a few hours later it struggled, but it started. I think previously I must have had bad/dirty connections, causing the rapid clicking while trying to turn over. I cleaned them and checked my connections, and at that point the battery must have lost enough power to not even turn over or turn on the odometer. Anyway, it runs! Thanks
wadewen and Submarineaz like this.

Quote:
Quote:

post #7 of 7 Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTJ View Post
I just got it started. Thanks for your help! I put it back on the trickle after my last post, a few hours later it struggled, but it started. I think previously I must have had bad/dirty connections, causing the rapid clicking while trying to turn over. I cleaned them and checked my connections, and at that point the battery must have lost enough power to not even turn over or turn on the odometer. Anyway, it runs! Thanks
Nice, always check the stupid stuff first. Might want to get another battery anyway, some of the AGM & Optima type batteries never like to come back after dropping below 10 volts. Or just carry one of those jumper packs around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in