Wipers bouncing across windshield after arm replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wipers bouncing across windshield after arm replacement

Hi folks,

I recently replaced both wiper arms on my LJ as the old arms were old, had weak springs and did not press against the windshield enough to fully wipe it. (Left gaps/streaks in places) It wasn't the wiper blades as I had replaced them 4 times in the past year with the same results.

The new arms wipe the windshield perfectly, no gaps or streaks. But recently I drove in the rain (instead of wiping washer fluid) and noticed the wipers would move across the windshield in bounces. They wiped the whole way, but you could see them bouncing (skidding almost).

It was a 2 hour drive and the rain was hard, and after about 30 minutes the wipers started leaving marks of rubber on the windshield where they were landing as they bounced. (4 areas of black started forming on the windshield as the wiper blades dissolved)

Stopping at a gas station I was able to scrub off the rubber with the windshield washing scrubber/squeegee, after some very forceful scrubbing. Getting back on the road the situation was a bit improved but started repeating itself.

I found that if I sprayed washer fluid the wiping was smooth, but if it was rain/water it bounced. (Maybe washer fluid has some lubricating element in it?)

I eventually pulled over into a Canadian Tire and bought a new set of wiper blades. The bouncing improved a little more and there were no longer black marks, but it still happened.

When I returned home I cleaned the entire front windshield thoroughly with Windex and found the bouncing had gotten even better (Maybe there was something on the windshield acting sticky, like 1000 splattered mosquitoes and bugs from the trip up), but there's still a hint of it and I worry it'll return.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and have an idea on what to do. The only other thing that makes sense is maybe the new wiper arms are pressing too much on the windshield?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-03-2015, 12:06 PM
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure the wiper arms are seated all the way down on the spindles. There should be light pressure of the blade against the windshield. Fold the wiper arm out all the way, push down on the locking clip as if to remove the arm and push the arm down on the spindle and then lock it back in place.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.
2013 JK Sport Black, Auto Trans, Bone Stock

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
post #3 of 10 Old 07-03-2015, 12:45 PM
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds crazy, but I wax my windshields. Windex isn't the best cleaner. If the windshield gets dirty, I spray it with Maguires Ultimate Quick Wax and wipe off with a clean micro fiber towel. No streaks, clean, clear windshield. Also very slick. Water tends to bead off and less wipers are used.

03 TJ Rubicon

post #4 of 10 Old 07-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do they bounce when going in one direction, but not the other? Or do they bounce both ways? (okay, that was an easy pitch.... but get your mind out of the gutter!) If it's only in one direction, and the blade is pointed "into" the glass, it's kinda like a hand plane that's not adjusted properly biting into the grain of the wood--- the blade chatters and digs in.

Just saying this because I had the same problem once with new wiper arms on a different vehicle. Twisting the arm slightly so the blade was at the proper angle relative to the glass surface fixed the problem.

You have to start somewhere to get to the middle of nowhere.

2015 YJ Of The Year

Thanks, but my rig is just a Prince among Kings. You folks gave me the answers to build it!
post #5 of 10 Old 07-03-2015, 12:58 PM
jrallen

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
PIAA makes some pretty nifty silicone impregnated blades. I have them on my TJ and even when the windshield is completely dry, they slide as smoothly as they would if the windshield were coated with Kentucky Jelly. The silicone from the blades gets bedded into the glass over time and makes it seem like you have RainX on the windshield too. I don't think my windshield has even been as clear.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EZ2KZ8/..._x1SLvbZJEMN9H
post #6 of 10 Old 07-03-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It only bounces when they are on the initial swipe up, coming back down to rest position is smooth.

I like the idea of checking the angle... I don't know what it's supposed to be but I'll look to see if anything seems obvious. I assume when it's not moving the wiper should be 90% to the windshield and not biased in either direction.

I know the wiper arms are seated properly on the spinners as this was the first thing I checked when the problem came up.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
PIAA makes some pretty nifty silicone impregnated blades. I have them on my TJ and even when the windshield is completely dry, they slide as smoothly as they would if the windshield were coated with Kentucky Jelly. The silicone from the blades gets bedded into the glass over time and makes it seem like you have RainX on the windshield too. I don't think my windshield has even been as clear.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EZ2KZ8/..._x1SLvbZJEMN9H
I've used those in the past. Never again. Within weeks of fitting they were squeeking, smearing and juddering, all things they were supposed to prevent. Complete waste of money in my opinion.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-03-2015, 06:18 PM
jrallen

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep
I've used those in the past. Never again. Within weeks of fitting they were squeeking, smearing and juddering, all things they were supposed to prevent. Complete waste of money in my opinion.
Uh oh. I just put them on last weekend
post #9 of 10 Old 07-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine usually jump as well. I have found that using rain-x helps greatly
post #10 of 10 Old 07-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post

Uh oh. I just put them on last weekend
It's several years since I've used them. Hopefully they've improved since then.

Sent from my mind using telekinesis

Tags
lj , wipers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in