Window crank removal - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
olucier
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Window crank removal

How do I get the manual window crank off? Just pry it or am i missing something?

98 Sahara manual windows passenger side

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Hesher420

2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is a clip that has to be pulled off first. push the door panel in and look around the base of the crank to see it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

post #3 of 19 Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Wloch248
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is a great picture. The easiest way I have found to get it off is a long thin flat head screwdriver. Push one end of it and it comes right off.

Tip for putting it back on. Put the retaining clip back into the grooves and just press the crank back on. It would be really hard to line it up if you put the crank back on THEN tried to put the clip in.

Good luck!

post #4 of 19 Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
olucier
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Found it! Thanks

Eyes are not what they use to be- getting old.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
olucier
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Trying to figure out why outside handle will not release latch- appears to be moving the rods, just not enough... I need more rod movement, seems that the outside latch is sticky/not moving as freely as i would expect. Nothing is broken or disconnected?????????.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
olucier
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Little PB Blaster work it back and forth- seems to be loosening up and actually opens the door now- let it sit for a few hours and I am sure it will be fine

Wish all fixes were this easy
post #7 of 19 Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
texas-hooligan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great pic! I'll try this tomorrow as I remove the interior door panel to swap out the outside door handles with some new ones.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 AM
TNJeeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher420 View Post
There is a clip that has to be pulled off first. push the door panel in and look around the base of the crank to see it.

Is the open end of the clip always pointed toward the handle?? Or does it remain fixed in whatever position you install it?? I took mine off a while back, no problem. I went to take it off again a few weeks ago and could not get it off for nothing. Can't seem to figure out which way the clip is pointed.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 AM
G Beasley

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Harbor freight doesnt have many tools I care for , but they do have a nice set of nylon trim tools for removing various panels in a car . It works great for all the christmas tree fasteners and the window crank .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
post #10 of 19 Old 11-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Miller97
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know if you need to have the gasket behind it for it to stay on? Somehow mine walked away when I was regreasing the lock rod.. Just want to know if I need to go and buy a whole new window crank..

2003 Silver TJ Sport, BF Goodrich 30" A/T KO's. RIP 11/2013.|| '03 Gold Wrangler X. Project "Golden Eagle"
post #11 of 19 Old 03-11-2018, 06:18 PM
cmdrpiffle

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Zombie Thread, I know

I didn't want to make a new thread, as the search function pulls up this one just fine.

I had to fix my pax side door handle today, and of course had to take off the crank handle. There are many, many suggestions out there but here's one that works in about 10 seconds...and this includes putting it BACK ON !

Use a pick ( I used a dental pick, but any strong steel, tapered metal would worrk. A large paper clip will work. Bend a hook with needle nosed pliers on one end of the pick, or paper clip. Hook the 'loop' side of the C Clip holding the crank on. You'll have to use another tool *I used a screwdriver, to push the panel away from the base of the crank. A flat head screw driver really is going to be a pain in the *** because there is an angle you have to reach to grab the C Clip. So, again, just use a dental pick or a paper clip, both bent into a small hook.

Next after you've 'hooked' the C Clip, use pliers to grab the dental pick or paper clip and pull straight up. Fingers are going to be touchy on the dental pick, and won't work at all using a paper clip. You won't be able to grip it tightly enought to pull up.

It'll pop right out. Pull off the crank. Viola !

Dental pick set:
https://www.pjtool.com/4-pc-dental-p...CABEgKEBfD_BwE

PUTTING IT BACK ON IS EVEN EASIER. Most folks try to slide on the crank then manhandle the clip into position, etc. Don't bother.

Put the C Clip into the crank handle first, before putting the crank handle on the crank post. Notice the ends of the slotted crank post are beveled? All you need to do is push the crank handle onto the post. The bevels will spread the C Clip. You may have to pop the center of the handle with your palm to seat it into the slot for the C Clip.

Seriously, taking it off and putting it on.... 10 seconds.

Hope this helps. Cheers

Edit: I wrote the above becaue I DID spend 45 mins trying to grab the stoopid C Clip with- Needle nosed pliers, A screwdriver to try to push down on one of the ends of the clip, A bicycle spoke, also to try to push down, A butter knife blade to 'wrangle it out', etc. ad. nauseaum.

Because of the indent in the door panel around the crank handle, you're never going to get leverage to get anything straight in there to pull or push out the clip. I realize I had a few metal dental picks around. They are surgical steel and bend without breaking. I used needle nosed pliers to make a little hook on one of the pointed ends.

I also wasted time trying to push on the crank and then attach the C Clip. After much frustration I looked at the crank stud and realized it was beveled at the tip. I put the C Clip on the plastic handle and just pushed it on the crank stud until it went 'click'.

Hi pulled de tligger unteel heet went...click... Jesus! Exactly Pendejo....Nobody ****s with dee Jesus. Shut the **** up Donny !
Mediceagle likes this.

Last edited by cmdrpiffle; 03-11-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: more info
post #12 of 19 Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

An easy way to get the clip off is to drag a shop rag behind the handle, it will snag the clip and pop it right off...
post #13 of 19 Old 03-12-2018, 04:42 AM
hokahay
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

post #14 of 19 Old 03-12-2018, 11:16 PM
cmdrpiffle

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
An easy way to get the clip off is to drag a shop rag behind the handle, it will snag the clip and pop it right off...
My experience = so so with the rag method.

Worked one time as I had a falling apart cotton rag that snagged the ends of the C Clip.

Tried it again on the other side...not so much. Never could catch it. Ended up using the pick.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM
ThisJustin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This trick never fails me. I use a tool to push the panel back a little so I can see the clip. Find a piece of solid wire, stripped solid copper, bailing wire, etc. Cut about a 4-5" piece and use needle nose pliers to create a small hook on one end. Fish the hook back there and grab the clip and pry or pull it off. But warning, the clip usually goes on the ground somewhere, Dorman makes replacements in the parts stores help section!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in