Why does spline count matter in axle strength? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
SeattleTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why does spline count matter in axle strength?

Can someone please school me on this please? I am wondering why everyone thinks that having more splines matters in axles. I understand that there is more "teeth" with more splines, but I assume that there is no strength increase with the increased spline count, and are people really having axleshaft failure where the splines are breaking or stripping?

It seems like most axle failures I've read about, or experiences are snapped axle shafts. So is this just an academic argument? I also compared this to ring and pinion gears, where with higher ratio gear sets you are generally getting a weaker ring and pinion because of the smaller contact patch with more "teeth" right?

I am considering upgrading passenger side rear axle shaft but don't want to change the spline count since I already have a detroit locker and upgraded Yukon shaft on the drivers side, that the previous owner broke and replaced. Seems like a lot of money to get a new locker, and two new shafts to get more splines, if that is not a real improvement in strength.

1999 TJ, 4.0, AX15 5-Speed, NP231, Dana 30 open 3.73, Dana 35 Detroit Locker 3.73, Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 2.2 shocks/stabilizer, JKS Discos, 33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on 15 x 8.5 MT Classics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 03:35 PM
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Actually, the higher the spline count, the greater the contact patch overall. Extreme 4x4 has a good vid on this. I will try and find it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
post #3 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Actually, the higher the spline count, the greater the contact patch overall. Extreme 4x4 has a good vid on this. I will try and find it.
yea, x2, and more splines usually means larger diameter in general. two means of strength increase

the spline contact thing is hard to visualize until you see a good picture.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

post #4 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

Increased spline count equates to increased diameter (i.e. Stronger) axles.

WTF-J - Bobbed Alu CJ-8 w/6.0L Gen-III, Atlas, AiRock, & ARB'd D60s
post #5 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not very smart, but I think if it has more splines, it is, by default, a larger diameter. The other side of that is, more splines means more surface are of contact meaning less chance of stripping.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 03:43 PM
robncar

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleyj View Post
...I also compared this to ring and pinion gears, where with higher ratio gear sets you are generally getting a weaker ring and pinion because of the smaller contact patch with more "teeth" right?...
With the ring and pinion, it's actually less teeth. The ring gear has more but the pinion has less as you go deeper into gears. As said above, the more splines you have the greater the contact area to spread the load.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/diy-alignment-kit-steps-w-pics-2264465/
post #7 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

But as said above, the key here is that where TJs axle shafts are concerned, more spline count = a bigger diameter shaft. A 30 spline shaft has a significantly larger diameter than a 27 spline axle shaft does. Not to mention that aftermarket axle shafts that have more spline counts than stock are not only larger in diameter, they are often (usually?) made with a stronger alloy like chromolly steel.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Howiedooit
1999 WJ 

typicaly a higher spline count on axles means a bigger axle diameter, for example a dana 60 axle with 35 spline axles has a axle diameter of 1.5 inches as opposed to the 31 spline having something like a 1.2 inch diameter. in addition the greater spline count the greater the contact area between axle and the receiving spider gear. as far as ring and pinion strength, the lower the gear ratio the weaker the pinion typicaly gets and the stronger the ring gear. because a lower geared pinion has less teath, the pinion is much smaller then a pinion gear of a higher ratio differential. the ring gear becomes much thicker within a lower geared differential in order to make contact with the smaller pinion, and the opposite for a higher geared diff
post #9 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 03:59 PM
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i got you guys covered as far as pics! haha i've got the show on itunes
heres the overall pic from extreme 4x4 of the splines

and here is the pic of the splines as if under a microscope

as you can see they dont fit as perfect as they feel. they do have a lil play and there for have tiny contact points (the little dots). which means more points or dots means more strength

STOLEN - '01 TJ sport-Wayyyy to much money invested -

TRADED IN - '07 WK Limited 5.7L - OME HD kit l Rusty's .25" strut spacer l 255/75R17 l Spidertrax spacers all around l Powerwire l K&N CAI l JK MOAB black wheels l Rola Rack with Yakima spare tire mount system l 4xGuard belly skid l 4xGuard Rocker Guards
335I M Sport (e93) - plenty of mods so far :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
it appears that REAL Jeeps leak fluids everywhere, spend more time parked in pieces than being driven, rust completely through the floor boards, gauges don't work, heaters don't work etc...
post #10 of 20 Old 01-11-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
SeattleTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Perfect! I learned something new today. I guess that (typically) when they add splines they add axle diameter. So while you could have a 1" 27 spline axle or a 3" 27 spline axle, most of the time you are getting a bigger diameter axle. Therefore the old detroit would not only not have the incorrect number of splines but the axles may not physically fit in the smaller locker housing openings. Is it possible to retrofit or modify my detroit locker to carry the larger and higher splice count axles?

1999 TJ, 4.0, AX15 5-Speed, NP231, Dana 30 open 3.73, Dana 35 Detroit Locker 3.73, Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 2.2 shocks/stabilizer, JKS Discos, 33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on 15 x 8.5 MT Classics
post #11 of 20 Old 01-11-2010, 01:10 AM
rockaholic18

1997 TJ Wrangler 

x2 excellent info. learn something new everyday!
post #12 of 20 Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

So then, which is stronger? The 19 spline stub shaft that the Wagoneer uses or the 27 spline stub shaft in the stock unit bearing?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
So then, which is stronger? The 19 spline stub shaft that the Wagoneer uses or the 27 spline stub shaft in the stock unit bearing?
whats the diameter at the splines of each? (correct me i'm wrong, but i think the 27 splines is 1.16"??)

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #14 of 20 Old 01-11-2010, 08:33 AM
never monday
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhiteaker View Post
as you can see they dont fit as perfect as they feel. they do have a lil play and there for have tiny contact points (the little dots). which means more points or dots means more strength
more points of contact mean more places to distribute the forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
??? the 19 spline. It's a larger tooth with more contact face. ?????

post #15 of 20 Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
more points of contact mean more places to distribute the forces.

??? the 19 spline. It's a larger tooth with more contact face. ?????
Using that logic, a 10 spline would be even stronger, right?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in