Why does my new to me Rubi Rear acting locked at all times? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why does my new to me Rubi Rear acting locked at all times?

So I'm finally about done with swapping in the Rubi D44 rear I picked up last month along with some other goodies, and honestly, it has been one headache/setback after another and I've just run into another one (I hope to god this is my last one for a while). Took the Jeep out of the garage for the first time in almost a month and my rear tires definitely are not being allowed to turn independant of each other, I'm scrubbing and clunking around the turns in my neighborhood so I took it home and parked it for the night. I have no pump or even lines for it, so there is no way its being locked in the way that the manufacturer intended it to be locked. I also checked to make sure I didn't overtighten the fill plug as I know this can sometimes cause an issue of some sort, but the fill plug is fine. So does anyone have any possible insight for me? Thanks in advance everyone!

And wow, I just noticed my excellent grammar in the thread title whoops

Last edited by Dmcastino; 08-10-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 PM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did you do a fluid change? Also the rear Rubi axle does not require friction modifier, because it is a torsion diff and does not use clutch packs. Have you lifted the axle of the ground and tried turning a wheel on one side and see what happens try stopping one and turning the other. Did you plug the locker lines so they can ingest something inside? Have you inspected the locker?

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
post #3 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM
RubiconR6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have you looked inside it to see if all is ok. If you dont have the line to it shoud not be locked. They work with 6 psi I think.

post #4 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Did you do a fluid change? Also the rear Rubi axle does not require friction modifier, because it is a torsion diff and does not use clutch packs. Have you lifted the axle of the ground and tried turning a wheel on one side and see what happens try stopping one and turning the other. Did you plug the locker lines so they can ingest something inside? Have you inspected the locker?
I did do a fluid change with the correct fluid. I spun the hubs without tires before I put it under the Jeep and both hubs would spin in the same direction unless I spun the hub really quickly and suddenly then the other one would remain motionless pretty much and I got a ratcheting noise from the diff (the cover was off at the time). Yes, where the air line connects to the diff is capped off and I got a look at the locker and what not when the cover was off, but unless it was something blatantly obvious like metal chunks floating around/missing from a piece, I honestly wouldn't know what to look for to see if something was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconR6 View Post
Have you looked inside it to see if all is ok. If you dont have the line to it shoud not be locked. They work with 6 psi I think.
Same answer, I looked and nothing was obviously wrong, but at the same time, I wouldn't know exactly what to look for in a problem haha.
post #5 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
RubiconR6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have the pump for it. If so try to lock it then unlock it.
post #6 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, I haven't got a pump yet.
post #7 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dave, we'll hook my air line up to your axle tomorrow to see if the locker could just be stuck. I don't think that's the problem but it's worth a look.

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #8 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Dave, we'll hook my air line up to your axle tomorrow to see if the locker could just be stuck. I don't think that's the problem but it's worth a look.
I'm down to try whatever, especially when its free or close to it
post #9 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
RubiconR6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Best of luck with it tomorrow
post #10 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
97casteeltj

1997 TJ Wrangler 

the spiders weren't welded were they?

my Rubi44 swap only took like 3hrs in my driveway, it was very simple...i got the pump later on and installed it and have had no problems with it...i don't think there is a way, but do you think the PO did something to keep it locked??

-John

needing a new rig....
post #11 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97casteeltj View Post

my Rubi44 swap only took like 3hrs in my driveway, it was very simple...i got the pump later on and installed it and have had no problems with it...i don't think there is a way, but do you think the PO did something to keep it locked??

-John
I didn't notice the spiders being welded.

And my god I wish mine only took 3 hours, unfortunately I had lots of fun little obstacles for instance like the non stock yoke (meaning the conversion u joint I had installed was worthless), or my drive shaft boot being missing for some reason, which meant my drive shaft was rusted to my output shaft, so we had to drop the skid, pull the tcase and cut/chisel/hammer the thing off. Then I got to replace all the nutserts for the skid plate because they were all toast. Oh and Imped4now and I were bringing over his air compressor to use on my Jeep and that managed to smash its way through the rear window of his dad's truck. All in all a swap I expected to take a day or two is now going to have stretched its way out to about a month of working on the Jeep around my job and what not, not to mention its probably going to end up costing more than I originally expected. It's all part of the Jeep thing I suppose
post #12 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 PM
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97casteeltj View Post

-John

that would be interesting to see...

this is the return spring... never seen one stuck locked before.

I had one that poped and snaped for a couple days, then it quit. when it finally busted a year later it looked like this.. I actually put friction modifier in it also..

anyhow, the bores for the planetaries could be worn, which causes binding.

I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
post #13 of 50 Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
anyhow, the bores for the planetaries could be worn, which causes binding.
That sounds like the symptoms I'm having, it doesn't seemed to be full locked, more of a binding and popping of things. Honestly, I understand very little about whats going on inside this locker (or most other lockers for that matter ), so if my planetaries are worn, what are my options? Does that pretty much mean its time for a new locker?
post #14 of 50 Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 AM
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
That sounds like the symptoms I'm having, it doesn't seemed to be full locked, more of a binding and popping of things. Honestly, I understand very little about whats going on inside this locker (or most other lockers for that matter ), so if my planetaries are worn, what are my options? Does that pretty much mean its time for a new locker?

I'd run it a bit, it might free up. mine did, it sat in phoenix on the ground, shoulda seen how long it took me to clean the axle splines.

if the bores are worn the case is junk, parts are hard to find, I'm down to pieces myself, so the next time might mean ARB's for me, but I love the lsd so I keep picking up blown units to use for parts.. it's not real easy to get em apart, if you do, be sure to use a impact driver, don't just try to unscrew the torx bolts or the allen heads that hold the case together.
#3 for me but I'm unusually hard on diffs at times.

I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
post #15 of 50 Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So your suggestion is to go drive around on it for a bit, clunking noises and tires chirping, and see if it frees up? I just want to make sure I don't damage anything else, this has all been costly enough as is

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in