The whole radiator thing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 04-10-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
FL 4.0L

Yes. I started the screw in each hole, then backed them out, then installed the shroud.

'97 TJ Sport, 4.0L, AX-15, D30/35, BFG TA KO 183K
'12 F30, '03 E46, '06 Rabbit, '13 Jetta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 04-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL 4.0L View Post
Read here how much better an all metal 3 row radiator would be.
That was very surprising to read, given the number of years I have actively participated here.

Not many here, and probably next to none with any experience, would recommend any aftermarket 3-row radiator. The single-row OE radiator from Mopar pretty much has better cooling traits than anything out there that we're aware of. The number of rows in a radiator core really has very little to do with how well it cools. In fact, the factory went from its initial 2-row radiator to a different 1-row radiator design sometime around 2001 which produced better cooling. All of the Mopar radiators used in our TJs use an all aluminum core.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-10-2018, 02:25 PM
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I will agree and disagree with Jerry. Number of cores means almost nothing. The more cores the worse possibly. Thickness matters a bunch though.

The OEM rad works fine as long as it's in good shape and all the other factory bits are in place. You need a fan shroud. Period. No exception. Electric fans almost never outflow OEM style mechanical fans. The OEM plastic end style is prone to leak though, so that's a downside. I've seen it too many times to count on not just Jeeps, but it's the OEM style for most cars now days so it can't be that bad.

That being said I have an all aluminum 4" thick rad and it cools my stroker with a shrouded e-fan just fine.

'98 TJ w/AX15 & 4.7L stroker, 2.5" OME lift, 1.25" BL, 33" Duratracs, 8.8 w/Trutracs & 4.10's F&R

post #19 of 22 Old 04-10-2018, 04:35 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
I will agree and disagree with Jerry. Number of cores means almost nothing. The more cores the worse possibly.
Just so there's no confusion, there's but one core... it can have 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. rows.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Just so there's no confusion, there's but one core... it can have 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. rows.
Ding!...
post #21 of 22 Old 04-10-2018, 07:55 PM
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Whoops.

PSA: don't drink and type folks 😉
Jerry Bransford likes this.

'98 TJ w/AX15 & 4.7L stroker, 2.5" OME lift, 1.25" BL, 33" Duratracs, 8.8 w/Trutracs & 4.10's F&R
post #22 of 22 Old 04-12-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
FL 4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That was very surprising to read, given the number of years I have actively participated here.

Not many here, and probably next to none with any experience, would recommend any aftermarket 3-row radiator. The single-row OE radiator from Mopar pretty much has better cooling traits than anything out there that we're aware of. The number of rows in a radiator core really has very little to do with how well it cools. In fact, the factory went from its initial 2-row radiator to a different 1-row radiator design sometime around 2001 which produced better cooling. All of the Mopar radiators used in our TJs use an all aluminum core.
Yes. You, and several others, have been steadfast in your recommendation of the factory rad, and I should have listened! There were plenty of recommendations for the cheaper aftermarket rads, though, at the time.

'97 TJ Sport, 4.0L, AX-15, D30/35, BFG TA KO 183K
'12 F30, '03 E46, '06 Rabbit, '13 Jetta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in