Who makes a quality aftermarket batter tray to hold a bigger battery? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Who makes a quality aftermarket batter tray to hold a bigger battery?

My electric cooling fan for engine is great, except that it substantially dims my headlights when it comes on, until alternator kicks on.

I want to put in the biggest Sears Diehard battery that I can fit into battery tray.

Can you recommend a quality aftermarket battery tray that will accomodate a larger battery?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-29-2008, 10:03 PM
jays-tj
When is it enough?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

not sure about largest but the Mean Green will fit two Optima Battery's

5.5" RELA
NorCal Crawlers W6JLO
post #3 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Kilby sells one that holds two batteries, too.

You can also buy a 200 amp Mean Green alternator. Then, you'll never have to worry about enough current. Ever.

post #4 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Twitchy

Those are the two best choices the Kilby one, if you check the website and the isntall instructions suggests that on certain models you will ahve to move some factory hardlines that might be in the way.
post #5 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 03:23 PM
ratster

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I beleive BTF makes a bigger than stock tray.
post #6 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 03:24 PM
rubiweeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

With the Mean Green battery tray the air conditioner lines arn't in the way, you don't have to change anything other then taking out the stock tray and bolting in the new one. Along with wiring up the extra battery.

Superior axles doesn't honor their warranty. Don't buy from them.
post #7 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM
FifteenCents

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The altenator does not kick on, it makes current as long as the
engine is spinning.

You need to Get a higher amp altenator...

The above post is my opinion and I have no facts to prove it... :)~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The ultimate TJ owners only forum
post #8 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 03:41 PM
newracer

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your alternator doesn't "kick in" it is always running if the vehicle is running. Sounds like you need a higher output alternator or have other electrical issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
CrawlinLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The Kilby tray is good choice, but check the dimensions of the tray before you order so you know what two batteries will fit on it. I run two Optima yellow tops that fit side by side. You will have to have an ac guy relocate the supplied ac line and recharge the system but it is not very expensive, say about $60 for the line relocation and it requires about 15 minutes..

2006 Rubicon LJ, 4.0 liter, 4 speed automatic, 5.5" Rubicon Express, 37" x 12.5" Krawlers on Champion Beadlocks, Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60 axles/5.13 ratio w/ high steering kit, Dyna-Loc front hubs, J.E. Reel 1350 cv drivelines, Atlas 4 speed/5.38:1, Walker Evans Shocks, PSC Hydraulic Assist steering, Nth Degree Oil Pan and Transmission Skid, Premier Power Welder, Kilby On Board Air, Warn 9500si, Dual Optimas, Hansen Front Bumber, All J Products Rear Bumper & Boulder Bars, PIAA Driving Lights, Rock Lights, Ham Radio, CB, Garmin 76cs GPS,Wet-Okeole seat covers
post #10 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

make one, im sorry but battery trays are WAY over priced for what they are, same as those hood light bars,

post #11 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 PM
kenj44
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You might want to check out the Optima solution of dual gel-cell batteries. I know of others that have had good luck with them. I've also heard sporradic compliants of DOA batteries, but my buddies swear by them.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/off_road/
post #12 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenj44 View Post
You might want to check out the Optima solution of dual gel-cell batteries. I know of others that have had good luck with them. I've also heard sporradic compliants of DOA batteries, but my buddies swear by them.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/off_road/
You do know that Optima does not make a gel cell, right?

Last edited by Border Dave; 07-01-2008 at 11:27 AM.
post #13 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 01:25 AM
ArrizX

2007 JK Wrangler 

Get a red top, or a kinetic HC1800 should be about the same size as stock battery. Check it out.
post #14 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

when an electric fan starts it has a large amp draw. once its running the draw is less, but there is a surge needed to get the motor moving. I'd run a Sears Diehard Platinum, the 'deep' group 34. that will fit the factory battery tray and its PLENTLY of power. however, your lights will still dim because the draw is coming off the alternator. You battery is 12V, your alternator is 14.4V. When your engine is running, your lights are running off 14.4V and when the fan kicks on its pulling voltage (and current) off the powering of the headlights and sending it to the electric fan since the draw is higher. This is the same thing 1000+ watt car stereos do, so my suggestion is slightly different. You don't need a bigger battery, you need a bigger alternator. You could give a capacitor a try however. Capacitors are used in car stereo systems be amplifiers create a large amperage draw at rhythmic to uneven times, depending on the music its playing. A 0.5 farad cap might help, they are fairly cheap, and could be wired under the hood pretty easily. Capacitors act like a 'buffer', they store energy, and when a drop in voltage on the downstream end is seen, it dumps its 'stored' energy...it does all this on a millisecond basis. I used a cap on my 1000 watt stereo in a previous vehicle to keep the lights from dimming.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #15 of 38 Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratster View Post
I beleive BTF makes a bigger than stock tray.
What does BTF stand for? Could you please spell that out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in