Wheelbase Question? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 Old 08-05-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wheelbase Question?

How much wheelbase do you figure you can wind up with under the following constraints?

TJ tub, stock length
Steering gear in the stock location with flat TJ Pitman arm
JK axles front and rear, slightly modified
Pure Jeep stretch tank under the rear of the rig.
Front axle pushed about as far as you can get it and still get a trackbar to clear the pitman.
Flat to the frame skid
Metal Cloak aluminum fronts to help the 37's clear the back of the front fender at the wheel well under the battery.

Any ideas?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 08-05-2011, 11:37 PM
MayRoll

2003 TJ Wrangler 

7" rear, 5" front. So about 106-7". Am I close?

First of the Breed
03 Khaki Rubi
JF short arm champ
post #3 of 87 Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
5" in the front? Are you high? You do know that the trackbar and the pitman live in the same front to back plane, right?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com

post #4 of 87 Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here, this is 104 in the stock TJ tub with the fuel tank behind the seat.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #5 of 87 Old 08-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

is there trimming of the rear fenderwell?

if so, I'd guess in the 97-99" range.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #6 of 87 Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 PM
red88MJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2" out the front and 5.5" out the rear if you use something like a genright fuel cell in the factory location, if a stock tank then a little bit less the that i would say

This must be a low range beer because it makes everything slower...

MY LJ BUILD...
post #7 of 87 Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 AM
dcope17

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Wow... that jeep looks twice the size of mine.
Oh wait... it just looks that way cause you have Gerald in the drivers seat
Just like all the car commercials... they have a 5' tall adult in the ad so that the car looks bigger.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
post #8 of 87 Old 08-06-2011, 12:22 AM
MayRoll

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Steering gear in the stock location with flat TJ Pitman arm
Alright, I'm slow tonight.... Thanks for waking me up.

101-102", closer?

First of the Breed
03 Khaki Rubi
JF short arm champ
post #9 of 87 Old 08-06-2011, 06:30 AM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04

X2. I was thinking around 97"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #10 of 87 Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 AM
MayRoll

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

Doesn't Genright allow you to go back 7" with a 15gal. tank using a D44 rear? The sheet metal will definately need to be cut.

First of the Breed
03 Khaki Rubi
JF short arm champ
post #11 of 87 Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Doesn't Genright allow you to go back 7" with a 15gal. tank using a D44 rear? The sheet metal will definately need to be cut.
on the PolyPerformance website, the PureJeep tank is advertised to allow you to move back up to 5"...but I'm guessing thats a bit inflated. Blaine also didn't mention fender trimming or evap system relocation either...so I'm guessing 5" stretch in the rear isn't practical...he'll most likely throw some curveball thats not mentioned either...like a Riddler diff cover that hits everything .

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #12 of 87 Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
on the PolyPerformance website, the PureJeep tank is advertised to allow you to move back up to 5"...but I'm guessing thats a bit inflated. Blaine also didn't mention fender trimming or evap system relocation either...so I'm guessing 5" stretch in the rear isn't practical...he'll most likely throw some curveball thats not mentioned either...like a Riddler diff cover that hits everything .
That's what I'm trying to get my head around. I've got it mocked up with a 22.5" rear driveshaft, the front axle is 1" forward of stock at ride height with 4" of lift.

Fender well trimming is very allowed and no relocation of the evap due to it already living under the hood where it belongs.

I'm also guessing so far that the adverstised amount of stretch you get is not at full bump. Or if so, it's not actually the wheelbase at ride height which seems odd.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #13 of 87 Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's what I'm trying to get my head around. I've got it mocked up with a 22.5" rear driveshaft, the front axle is 1" forward of stock at ride height with 4" of lift.

Fender well trimming is very allowed and no relocation of the evap due to it already living under the hood where it belongs.

I'm also guessing so far that the adverstised amount of stretch you get is not at full bump. Or if so, it's not actually the wheelbase at ride height which seems odd.
I'd assume with 4" of lift and much stretch at all would require spring perch relocation to line the bumps back up. Heck, with 4" of lift they don't line up great after pinion angle changes with stock length lowers (reminded of Humbolt's rear spring relocation thread with Currie bumps)

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #14 of 87 Old 08-06-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd assume with 4" of lift and any stretch would require spring perch relocation to line the bumps back up. Heck, with 4" of lift they don't line up great after pinion angle changes with stock length lowers (reminded of Humbolt's rear spring relocation thread with Currie bumps)
I'm beginning to believe that anyone that's doing this or has done this isn't measuring at ride height. I've got a slightly longer pitman, it's just about rubbing paint on the trackbar which is moved forward several inches, and the only way I was able to sneak the axle forward an inch at ride height was to center the spring perches.

If you aren't moving the spring perches, what are your springs looking like if you try for an additional 3 inches in the front?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #15 of 87 Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 PM
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got 100" out of mine, I had to use Gen Right comp tank due to the d60.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in