What is this? Who made it? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-20-2020, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
gregM=1944

What is this? Who made it?

My recently acquired 2005 Wrangler TJ/LJ features brackets bolted to right and left steering knuckles. I'm working to replace the NAPA tie-rod ends, but folks at NAPA tell me they no longer can get the parts (ALS 206 / 2059 and ALY 131 2 / 2058).

I'm thinking that by my knowing who made the bolt-on brackets and model name and/or number, I might be able to find suitable replacement tie-rod ends that the bracket and tie-rod manufacturer(s) recommend. (This assumes the same manufacturer made both bracket and tie rod.)

I post two pictures of the steering-knuckle assembly and ask if anyone knows:
  1. who made the bolt-on brackets and
  2. what they are called -- maybe even name and/or model number.

And since the tie rod is perhaps a component of what may have been a kit assembly, I post two pictures of the tie rod to ask:
  1. who made the tie rod (black item) and
  2. does anyone know what tie-rod ends might fit (rod: 3/4" - 16 NF x 2 1/4"; stud 1/2"-20 NF x 2" with large taper diameter at .627" and small taper diameter at .543" and length of stud at .664).

The track bar (gray item) seems to be a Rubicon Express item. Right?

By the bye, my LJ came with a Rubicon Express Tri-Link, long-arm kit installed. What all was included and added at the time of installation is unknown to this after-the-fact Jeep owner.

Thank you for your help.

Greg in Las Vegas

Background not directly related to my two questions: In my efforts to get replacement tie-rod ends, I talked with Federal Mogul (the company that made the tie-rod ends for NAPA) to learn the parts are "obsolete" and not available. Then I went to Rare Parts in California, and they did not have the tie-rod ends either. Folks at Federal Mogul and Rare Parts were unbelievably helpful, and gave me the benefit of their able minds and years of experience.

Attached Thumbnails
P1020250.jpg   P1020249.jpg   P1020252.jpg   P1020254.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-20-2020, 06:00 PM
hokahay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I take a stab at it.

opps stand by. but I think high steer bracket.

But my Google fu is only finding something like that for YJs. So, now I am curious what it is too.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-20-2020, 07:26 PM
fromme

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is an ORO (Offroad Only) steering kit. And I'm sorry you have it on your Jeep, that is unfortunate.
The TREs are very standard off the shelf parts.

https://offroadonly.com/wp-content/u...nds-small-.jpg

2003 TJ Rubicon, 3" Zone lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 4.88s, Warn Zeon 8S winch

post #4 of 5 Old 03-21-2020, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
gregM=1944

Thank you fromme and hokahay,

I clicked on the ORO link you provided, and sure enough, the parts are OROís U-Turn kit.

In the packet of records that came with my LJ was an invoice that included one cryptic line: ď1 U-Turn $649.Ē I never knew what it was, and I paged past it each time I searched the records to track down parts. Now I know what it is.

Since the kit was purchased in 2008, some twelve years ago, I am assuming the NAPA TREs are not original, especially so since ORO specs-out Spicer as the brand they use with the U-Turn kit.

Monday, I will contact ORO to order needed TREs or, if they donít have them, to ask for part numbers.

Fromme, thank you for taking time to share your expertise. Now I have a fighting chance to get my Jeep off jack-stands and back on the road.

Greg in Las Vegas
post #5 of 5 Old 03-21-2020, 08:59 AM
fromme

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That link has the part numbers for the TREs. They are standard numbers and you can get them at Napa or any auto parts store

2003 TJ Rubicon, 3" Zone lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 4.88s, Warn Zeon 8S winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in