What size lift do I have? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

What size lift do I have?

I bought an 02 TJ and I am trying to figure out what size lift I have. I was told it was 2" but I don't know of a 2" coil kit. I would like a couple measurements from a stock TJ if possible. (I looked around on here and couldnt find them, maybe someone could add them to the "Measurements" section).

I am looking for stock height to the bottom of the rocker and center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender flare in both front and back.

What I do know about my Jeep:
- It has 31's on it which I put on.
- The springs aren't marked but are coated with a medium/dark gray coating.
- Out of all of the shocks, one sticker is readable and it says Sensa-Trac which come to find out is from Monroe.
- It doesn't look like there is a drop pitman
- There is no body lift.
- I added 3/4 spacers up front to help compensate for the bumper/winch combo.
- If it matters, it is a 4.0, 5 spd with a 100lb Trail Ready bumper and a 90lb winch.

Here is a picture of my rig as it sits now. If anyone knows of this older kit from 'back in the day' (back as far as 2002) let me know. Also if you could take a couple of quick measurements, that would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails
EdsJeepLR2.jpg  

-Ed

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 JK & 2004 WJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

From the FAQs section above........

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...7/#post6077636

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ha, never thought of measuring the springs...Thanks! I will try that..

I suppose measurements could fluctuate depending on the age of the springs and things like aftermarket bumpers, tire carriers, automatic transmissions vs. standards and 4cyl vs. 6cyl etc.....

Thanks again...if anyone might know the company that made these gray coated springs, that would be helpful. I am looking to get new shocks and want to be sure I get the right length based on the manufacturers specs.

post #4 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 PM
bstew417
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like 2" to me. What kind of shocks are on it? That could give some indication as to the spring brand. Most springs are dark gray so that really doesn't tell you much. I know Rusty's makes a 2" lift, and I think BDS might as well.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

The shocks are Monroe Sensa-Trac which look 'original' to the lift. They are pretty rusted on the outside but still hold pressure...I didn't know/think that Monroe would make a shock longer than stock applications.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 PM
SloppyJoseph

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dont have a tj but if I was to measure springs, I would lift the jeep up until the spring is not compressed at all and take the mearsurement. Should be close enough to tell what it is.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

According to the link in the second post, these measurements are of TJ at ride height:

"Below are the approximate heights of various TJ coil springs when sitting at ride height with the weight of the Jeep on them. The measurements are from the very top of the spring where it meets the isolator or coil bucket to the very bottom of the spring (again where it meets the isolator or coil mount)."
Attached Thumbnails
TJ Coil Spring Measurements.jpg  
post #8 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
bstew417
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
The shocks are Monroe Sensa-Trac which look 'original' to the lift. They are pretty rusted on the outside but still hold pressure...I didn't know/think that Monroe would make a shock longer than stock applications.
Monroe definitely makes longer shocks (Skyjacker/whoever else Hydros/Nitoros), but I didnt think they sold them under their own brands. AFAIK, Sensa-Trac's were factory replacement shocks.

I think your best bet would be simply measuring the springs. Taking them out of the Jeep would obviously be ideal, but probably unnecessary. The winch/bumper will definitely compress the springs more (around/up to an inch usually).

As far as determining a brand, that will be essentially impossible without some sort of numbers/tags/markings from the springs.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
if anyone might know the company that made these gray coated springs, that would be helpful. I am looking to get new shocks and want to be sure I get the right length based on the manufacturers specs.
Doesn't matter. Measure the spring perch to spring perch distance, compare to stock, and buy whatever shocks you like for that much lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoseph View Post
Dont have a tj but if I was to measure springs, I would lift the jeep up until the spring is not compressed at all and take the mearsurement. Should be close enough to tell what it is.
That tells you precisely nothing.
The length of an uncompressed spring doesn't equal how much lift it will provide, some springs (for example) are stiffer than others and won't compress as much under the weight of the jeep.

|
|
post #10 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstew417 View Post
I think your best bet would be simply measuring the springs. Taking them out of the Jeep would obviously be ideal, but probably unnecessary. The winch/bumper will definitely compress the springs more (around/up to an inch usually).
No, see above. Same for added weight accessories.
You want to order shocks to fit the amount of ACTUAL lift you actually have - if it's squatted down with extra weight and the net effective lift is less, the shocks need to fit that actual height.
(Here's what I mean: Lets say you install a 4" lift. Then you added a bunch of heavy stuff and it squatted both ends down so now you only have 2" of Actual lift height. If you buy 4" lift shocks, they'll be too long. You'd need shocks for 2" lift since that's what you actually have.)

|
|
post #11 of 19 Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

|Bump|

Is anyone able to take a couple of measurements for me?

Still looking for: I am looking for stock height to the bottom of the rocker and center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender flare in both front and back.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
|Bump|

Is anyone able to take a couple of measurements for me?

Still looking for: I am looking for stock height to the bottom of the rocker and center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender flare in both front and back.
Are you still trying to determine the amount of lift on your TJ? See post #7. When you measure the springs, include the spacers you have installed in the measurement. This will give you the amount of lift you have. All other measurements are pretty much meaningless.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well yeah, because of my 'lift' and 31's, I am trying to figure out how much taller my Jeep is overall compared to stock. Just because I have a 2" lift doesn't mean I have a full 2" when you factor in spring sag, bumpers winch etc. I just want to know how much higher i am actually sitting vs. stock. What size are stock tires (non Rubicon), 27" or 28" inches?
post #14 of 19 Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM
InfernoGirl

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sag won't make that much difference, and honestly, it doesn't look lifted to me in that pic, at all. Just measure the springs for goodness sake. It takes one minute and you'll know.....

Dirty Mudder seat covers/Steering column covers/spare tire covers
Like my Dirty Mudder FB fan page here:

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto
Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
post #15 of 19 Old 08-05-2010, 11:21 AM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The TJ came with 215/75/15, 225/75/15 or 30x9.5x15 tires.

It really doesn't matter about added weight, spring sag, etc. Just measure the springs + spacers and that's how much lift you have.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.

Tags
height , lift , size , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in