What's wrong with this transmission, and how much to fix? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WallyDog1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-11-2020, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
gdgraph

What's wrong with this transmission, and how much to fix?

I'm looking at buying a '97 TJ with a 4.0L with a stock transmission that has 140k miles on it. The seller is reporting the transmission will occasionally slip or take a second to shift from first gear. When the issue first happened, the shop did a flush and put a new filter in (cost was $300). 2 months later it he brought it back because he was having leaks and the slipping was still there and they did an oil pan gasket and removed the transfer case to install a new rear tail shaft seal ($700). 6 months have gone by and the slipping still occurs but it's not as often. His shop told him that the next steps would be a replacement and quoted him $2700 to install a used transmission and $3200 for a new one installed.

Do you guys agree that the transmission really needs to be replaced or is there a rebuilt kit that could be used that would be cheaper? If I tried to source a used one on my own and do the labor myself, what is a fair price for a used 32RH transmission? At this mileage should I also add on a new torque converter?

Last edited by gdgraph; 08-14-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-11-2020, 06:19 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

btw, it's an in-line 6, not v6.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 13 Old 08-11-2020, 09:40 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't call it common if the Jeep has been well maintained. Too often transmissions don't get periodic maintenance done until problems start to pop up.
Attached Images

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 13 Old 08-11-2020, 03:47 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You need to price out a trans repair or replacement in your area or demographic. The prices can vary from shop to shop, area to area, etc.

Your trans having what I would consider to be a delayed engagement when cold can be as simple as old and hardened rubber seals on clutch pistons for instance. It also however could have major pump and hard part wear throughout with a lot of metal shavings present. Some automagic transmixers are relatively inexpensive to rebuild. Some have no hope. There is no generic answer to your question. Auto transmissions have a lot of moving parts and tolerances where oil pressure is required to get from place to place are critical. It can be ovaled check balls. worn spacer plates. broken cushion springs, worn clutches. bad piston seals, low oil pressure, a bad valve body, bushing wear through out the trans. etc.

You have asked one of the most complicated questions ever. JS>

Make sure that the fluid level is correct though. That can be a simple fix.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-11-2020, 04:02 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

you say trans was
Flushed....
resealed...

That caught my attention. Flushed is not a recommended procedure. Resealed? well why flush if its disassembled to 'reseal'.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-11-2020, 04:10 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
you say trans was
Flushed....
resealed...

That caught my attention. Flushed is not a recommended procedure. Resealed? well why flush if its disassembled to 'reseal'.
I agree.

You obviously have never been informed by the latest and greatest service advisor, BG or Valvoline salesman, etc. about ways to overlap and rip people off.

The snake oil and profit guys know more than a real tech for sure.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-12-2020, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
gdgraph

Got some additional info from the seller and his shop, hope this helps folks answer the question better.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-12-2020, 11:59 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
you say trans was
Flushed....
resealed...

Depends how the flush is done.

One reason to flush is if fluid is contaminated.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-14-2020, 05:44 AM
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's been years since I have done overhauls on automatic transmissions. Used to be a Master Registered ASE tech for Audi, VW back in the 80's/90's... Design has changed a lot but the theory and operation has not changed much. An automatic that is slipping or slow to shift with high miles, the problem is usually the seals that hold hydraulic pressure in the clutch drum that then applies the clutch pack for each gear. An aged, dry, torn or split seal can on occasion work still or will work slow as it leaks but still builds pressure enough to apply the gear. When it is working slow the clutches slip causing friction and eventually burnt clutch packs result. There is nothing that will repair a friction surface short of an overhaul. A fluid/filter change is not a fix it is a health care item. You can have one overhauled locally or I have used Jasper products in the past. 5 year warranty or 100,000 miles. Cost is about 2K+ with a good core. You can install it yourself or the labor can be 500.00 to 1000.00. The overhaul might be the less $$ way to go. Check them both out for you area. I would not install a used trans just because you might still end up with a transmission issue another Jeep was having.
Good luck!

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina
post #10 of 13 Old 08-14-2020, 06:50 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
I'm looking at buying a '97 YJ
You'll have the only one ever made. You've posted this on all the forums.

p.s. Were the bands adjusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-14-2020, 09:49 AM
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You'll have the only one ever made. You've posted this on all the forums.

p.s. Were the bands adjusted?
I thought it said YJ too... He found the edit button. It says TJ now
Boojo35 likes this.

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina
post #12 of 13 Old 08-14-2020, 03:47 PM
jerseyjeeper09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I recently had mine rebuilt locally and it cost me 900 bucks .That's with me removing and installing the trans (I believe it would've been 1400 for them to do all the work) and it's got an 18 month unlimited mileage warranty. I was originally gonna buy a crate or remanufactured trans but I couldn't find one anywhere. I also checked junkyards, ebay, C.L. and others, and I just couldn't see spending that much money on something used (I had recently put a new engine in it so that factored in too). If your willing to do a little work and pull/install the trans yourself, you can probably save a good bit of money...
post #13 of 13 Old 08-14-2020, 04:40 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
I thought it said YJ too... He found the edit button. It says TJ now
It for sure said YJ. I went back to the top and looked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in