What is involved in a ring and pinion swap / re gearing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
drummerchukb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What is involved in a ring and pinion swap / re gearing

What is involved in re gearing? To have someone else to the work will cost way more than i want to pay. My dad and i are pretty mechanicaly savy, but are new in the gear world. Can regearing be done in the drive way? Specialty tools needed? Could it be done in a day by two people new to this area of work? And any other thoughts / first hand experience would be nice!

(If i missed a thread in my searching - a link would be awsome)

~Chuck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Max-Q
1983 CJ7 

It can be done if you research and read as much as possible before you do it. Then pay close attention to how everything came apart. One big help is to make a set of "set up" bearings. Basically these are new bearings where you grind down the inside so that it slides on and off easily. Then you can install and remove the carrier and pinion easier to adjust the shims and backlash.

It is a tedious job and I would say allow two days at least per axle. The front Dana 30 is a royal pain in the *** and took us two days to finally get it perfect.

Good luck.

1997 Jeep TJ
1983 Jeep CJ7
2011 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

don't try gears for the first time yourself. just don't. its well worth the $1200 to pay a professional to do it, they have the proper tools and training. it ain't like putting on a lift.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Max-Q
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
don't try gears for the first time yourself. just don't. its well worth the $1200 to pay a professional to do it, they have the proper tools and training. it ain't like putting on a lift.
I'd honestly have to agree with you. I would never have attempted to do it IF it wasn't for my friend. He was a mechanic and he has done them in the past. Even after watching/helping him I'm not sure I would tackle it by myself.

1997 Jeep TJ
1983 Jeep CJ7
2011 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #5 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've changed gear ratios/added traction aids in several vehicles over the years.
It's really easy, just call around for estimates, deliver the vehicle to the shop, and when it's done write the check.

|
|
post #6 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 PM
mobyjeep

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've set up several r&p sets now and it really is not technically difficult. You just need to take your time. With the money you save you can afford to buy good tools. Check out this link for a list of tools - Randy's Ring & Pinion.

Here is a good set of instructions - http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Ho...structions.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in