what gears to go to. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

what gears to go to.

I just read some good stuff on lockers for the dana 30. I am going to get lockers installed in my 05 TJ sport.. It has the dana 44 rear and dana 30 in the front. I have the RE 3.5 short arm lift with SYE and cv driveshaft. Running 33's and the manual transmission pulls through the gears pretty good. Yes it is also my daily driver.
The front pinion seal is leaking so I need to do something soon... I think I am running 3.73 's. Was thinking of gearing down a tad bit just in case I get a wild hair in the future and try running 35's. I will be keeping the 33's for awhile. But since I am going to do the selectable lockers, and figured this would be the time to regear and upgrade the front axles. (thinking of going with E locker)
I am wondering how the new gears will effect my milage while I am still running the 33's and if I am making the right decision. I am just starting to get out wheeling here in So. Cal. Am I on the right track? I welcome all suggestions and comments..

Rich G. 2005 Wrangler 4.0 6-Speed.
just4effect 10" single sub, enclosure and amp 4 sale. PM me if interested, local only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You really need to know what gears you now have. 4.56,s with 33,s and 4.88,s with 35,s is generally thought to be about right. If you really think you,re going to go to 35,s, go with 4.88,s, but the motor is going to be winding on the highway, not only because the gearing is a bit short, but also because the 6 speed has a shorter overdrive than the nv3550. Some people prefer shorter gearing as its great off road, and around town, it feels like you have a bigger motor.Fuel economy will be greatly affected by how fast "highway" speed is for you.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

$1200 is a lot to spend unless you're sure what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. SOLD for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 PM
oalali
2006 LJ Wrangler 

get 4.56 it will work great with 33 and will still be good when you are running 35s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I I think the 4.56 's will probably be the direction I head.. I really plan on keeping the 33's. Just wanted to see if there was an option in case I wanted to try 35's... I will hopefully upgrade the axles in the front and lockers in both.. Wish I could get it done for $1200.00

Rich G. 2005 Wrangler 4.0 6-Speed.
just4effect 10" single sub, enclosure and amp 4 sale. PM me if interested, local only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in