Weird Gremlin in my 05 Jeep -- Scary due to power loss - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
C-Par
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Weird Gremlin in my 05 Jeep -- Scary due to power loss

I'm getting frustrated with my Jeep. I've been enjoying it over the years but now its getting dangerous.

Rewind about two years ago the Jeep would just die on the highway. I figured out if I cycled the power it would re-fire and run like nothing happened. The two bad points: 1. I had a hard time getting codes and 2. My kids were in the Jeep most of the time. If I was merging this got hairy.

After many times I finally had the code reader hooked up and I got it to throw a crank sensor probe.
Once replaced the Jeep was good.

Recently early this year, I would notice out of the corner of my eye the speedo wigging +/- 5mph once in a while.

Early this summer the Jeep started to die again, as usual cycle the power and go.
No codes.

Then the dashboard got all funky. One day the whole thing lit up and all the gages pegged, like a christmas tree. The I/O error read on the gage cluster. After reading some threades I decided to check the connecters and clean them at the PCM and the gage unit.

The jeep was wierd so I put it away and drive another car. Nice weather came around and I wanted to drive the jeep once again. The battery was dead and I noticed the battery terminal was in bad shape. I though that was the issue, bad voltage supply to the computer and electronics.

So I replaced all that and started to trouble shoot again.

Drove around 15 minutes no issues. Yes...

The I went for another ride. It started fine, then I went to take off. The Jeep ran like crap and died. This time no restart. It would crank and not fire.

After a minute try again.... run like nothing happened. This time I code codes of misfires in multiple cylinders. Now rewind a couple episodes I did get a crank sensor code. When I clear these codes they never seem to come back. Most of the time I never get codes and that is what is fustrating.

I took the jeep in the garage and I inspected the engine compartment. I noticed for some reason the cruise control vacuum was off. Thats wierd no wonder it hasn't been working. Now I'm probably lean.

Running the engine and revving it a bit I was able get the engine to die. It would like PUFF. I'm wondering if engine pressure is building and somehow it blew the idle vacuum off. OK I can now get it to replicate, let me get my camera and make a video. That takes me about 5-10 minutes.
So I got to make a video and now it wont replicate.....Dang it.

This is so frustrating, its total random. I'm leaning towards a PCM issue. Its the only connection to all the weird behavior. Its random and rarely throws codes. The crank sensor is relatively new with like 5k miles, if that on it.

I just want a trusty jeep again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 09:33 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Fill out your profile for better answers. 05-06 autos have bad pcm problems that cause a lot of people to sell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
C-Par
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oops.

Sorry,
Have an 05 LJ 4.0L Manual 6sp.
I do have 162K on it.

The jeep is a street queen and relatively clean.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
C-Par
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hmm. After reading reviews for a genuine Mopar crank sensor, maybe my aftermarket one is no good.
A lot of reviews sound like my problems like no codes, just dying, etc.

Are these 4.0L that finicky for these sensors?
post #5 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 10:10 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Always go with Mopar for important stuff. Jeeps are picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 02:58 PM
davewjcook
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Will the "stumble and die" cause existing error codes and the emissions checks to clear? If so, it sounds similar to my old problem. 3 pcms in, and the dealer finally figured out there was a short in one of the wire harnesses feeding the pcm. Hit the gas just right, stretch those wires just right, and boom - no power. Would attempt to throw me through the windshield if I had it in gear (mine's a manual 06 LJ). Sometimes it'd be fast enough to catch itself and restart... but still reset the codes and tests. I'd suggest getting really familiar with every inch of wire leading to your pcm before calling it bad. Those suckers aren't cheap.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
C-Par
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I started by ordering both Mopar Crank sensor and Cam sensor.

Wiring is a possibility, the harnesses are getting rattier. What cheap plastic loom does chrysler use? The stuff is starting to disinegrate? Other models of vehicles the wiring harnesses seem to hold up better over the years.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 PM
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How old is the battery? Sounds stupid, but I have seen bad batteries cause a lot of weird issues.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-31-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
C-Par
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Update: Good News...So far.

Per my previous post I ended replacing the crank and camshaft sensor with genuine Mopar parts. Now the jeep is running great. It is weird how the crank sensor will make such a big difference.

Been driving for about a week now and no issues. I'm happy.

Genuine Mopar from now on.

Both times when the crank sensor went the jeep acted weird and it was hard to get codes.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in