Wants to pop out of 2nd and 4th gear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-2021, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Davwil

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wants to pop out of 2nd and 4th gear

I recently installed a Zone combo lift (3.25" suspension lift and 1" body lift). It included the hardware for the shifter linkage, which I installed. However, now when i shift into 2nd or 4th, I have to put pressure on the shifter at first to keep it from jumping out of gear. Once it's engaged it's not a problem and it stays in gear. Is there an adjustment I can make to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-07-2021, 11:27 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes that's common and is caused by having increased the distance between where the shifter exits the transmission and where it passes through the rubber shift boot. That increased distances is restricting how far the shifter can be moved before the rubber boot wants to push against the shift back toward neutral.

The taller the body lift the worse it is. A 1" body lift can cause it too but if you also have a t-case drop that will add another inch to the restriction. A t-case drops the transmission an inch, the body lift raises the shift boot an inch, those two combine to really restrict the shifter but either by itself can do it too.

One fix, move the console slightly to more center the shifter boot over the top of the transmission. Then another possible help with your '97 TJ is there's a second rubber boot around the shift lever that is located underneath the shifter boot. That can be removed to remove some of the restriction. Doing that can also let more heat into the passenger compartment, though it's not a big deal. I didn't really notice it much in my own '97 TJ.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-07-2021, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Davwil

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry. I'll do that. It's not a bad problem, just a little annoying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in