Want an opinion on this 98 TJ please..... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-04-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
jbandab

Want an opinion on this 98 TJ please.....

Hello again guys. Well I have narrowed down my search for a jeep for my husband as a "present" to this Jeep and a 95 YJ. I want to know what you guys think of this one - its a 98 112k miles, 4.0, auto. interior is pretty clean. I wanted opinions on the outside. Both fenders have spots like seen, and wanted opinions on the rust on the bottom. I could buy this Jeep for 5500.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would avoid it....too much rust for me.

Member of JGW (Jeff's Gone Wheeling) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build:

post #3 of 17 Old 09-04-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
jbandab

Ok. Seemed like a good deal. Thought maybe I could have the spots fixed and underneath maybe under coated. But I want honest opinions.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 PM
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I would avoid it....too much rust for me.

I agree. Too much rust. The problem with a Jeep with rust is that by the time the body starts showing many spots of rust, you can almost guarantee that the frame is shot or nearly shot.

That frame looks like it's got bolts going into it. Repairs???

Honest opinion, I'd skip that one....

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
post #5 of 17 Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 PM
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

NO. Too much rust, especially on the body mounts.
There are countless threads about rusted out frames and possible repairs, I would wait for a jeep in better condition, with a little patience you and he will be happier in the long run.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 09:06 AM
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fixing rust can get expensive really fast. The panels to replace the rusted body mounts will cost over $600 then you would have to pay a welder just as much to put them on. Rust repair on that jeep would probably cost as much as fixing a blown engine unless you can do the body work yourself.
Jeeps hold their value very well, but not when they're in that kind of shape. That would have to be a $3000 jeep to be worth the trouble.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 10:57 AM
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What a great wife.

If you can see that much rust there's more you can't see. Be patient, a good one will come along. I didn't pay attention to where you live, maybe start looking outside the rust belt. I wouldn't buy a YJ, I'd stick with a TJ because it has a better suspension and OBDII diagnostic computer. I think first year for OBDII was 1997.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 AM
pdm66
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would have to agree with everyone, Jeeps are not rare and this is way too much rust. Plenty of them to find that are nice and clean with decent well cared for miles. Don't be afraid of miles if they have service records. Rust like that could actually be a safety hazard...
post #9 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 12:08 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Only thing is I think the bolts are where the side steps used to be mounted.
Walk away, the reason it is a good deal is you are buying rust.

Machete don't tweet
- Machete
post #10 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 12:27 PM
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Only thing is I think the bolts are where the side steps used to be mounted.
Walk away, the reason it is a good deal is you are buying rust.
Yes those are the side step bolts...the side steps have been removed...

Typical area that rust accumulates...

The rust around that body mount is scary indeed and not easily repaired. Unless he's looking for a project...stay away.

Anything more than surface rust I would avoid and even then depending on where its located I might say no. You are in the same tough spot I was in a few months ago when looking. I ended up paying 5800 and my frame and body are in fair condition, much better than what you are currently looking at...conversely though I'm chasing mechanical problems soooo. I dont want to be a downer but expect to spend some money on repairs in short order...

post #11 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Scarfist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of rust. (jeep cancer)
Rear diff is leaking

Let someone else buy it then pay more repairing it.

I'm too old to play with Lego's, so I got a Jeep. 97 TJ club member
post #12 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 12:55 PM
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's not that bad if he can repair rust. They make a replacement body mount channel where that body mount is rusted out that welds in but that means pulling the tub off. All that rust is common every tj I have seen in my area has that rust and mine including.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Jeepsr4me

If they wanted 2000 for it I would still be VERY hesitant to screw with it.. Rust is evil and fixing it requires a priest and a deep pockets

For that Price you can come down south and get a fine wrangler in great shape with ZERO rust issues...
post #14 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 01:41 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Your a great wife!
Do him a favor. Shop down south or out west.
The prices are similar. Quality us much better.
Shipping a vehicle is pretty simple. Or fly there and drive it back.
Many dealers will ship it to you even.
Best of luck!

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #15 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 03:58 PM
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can find better for about the same price.. As mentioned stay away from rust. It would be worth taking a drive to uncle Mikes' house in the Western side of the US for a week or so and buy a TJ that isn't beaten down by ugly/salty weather. If you don't have a friend or uncle named Mike in California then go here http://www.daveysjeeps.com/repairables.html then click on the "repairables" up top. Usually it's a bent fender or a slightly crumpled rear corner. Just keep your peepers open. As of today the deals arent so hot but every now and then an awesome jeep goes for about 6 grand. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231...7&category=100 is a craigslist type site in Salt Lake City. They have a rock crawler section and often sell super nice rigs for very cheap. Divorces, death, job loss... stuff like that makes people have to sell rigs that have $$$$$ in them go for 2/3rds....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in