Want to BUILD a Jeep - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NashvilleTJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
amchenkus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Want to BUILD a Jeep

Have a 2002 TJ that I love, but the frame is rotting out. Looking to stay with the TJ, and was considering buying a cheap donor with a good frame, and swapping in a V8. (plus lifts, etc.). Had some questions though:

1. Is a amanual or auto easier?
2. Does it matter if donor is a 2.5 or a 4.0?
3. Best options for a V8 (not looking to spend Hemi $)
4. Will I also need a new tranny (and best options there?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 09:22 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

1. I'd say it depends on what the Jeep originally is. Easiest is to keep an auto an auto or keep a stick a stick.

2. Doesn't matter for a frame donor.

3. 5.3/6.0 Chevy or 5.9 Dodge.

4. Most likely. Best to use the tranny from the engine donor.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Bmann412

Garage
I would say the magnum 5.2l or 5.9l swap would be the most cost affective option. The motors are cheap. a majority of the wiring does not change. Factory gauges can be made to work. As far as the auto or Manual goes I think it comes down to preference. I started with an 2.5l auto and now have a 5.9l manual.

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
2013 JK

post #4 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just swapped in a chevy 5.3l into my LJR. Was very easy using Daves motor mounts , stand alone harness etc..Had to modify my cross member as everything moved up 2" but that was the worst of it.

Using the NSG370/241OR combo with a Novak adapter plate. Love a manual V8. Can't complain at all. Running stock gauges.

My cost was about $5800 cad (minus $1000 for my old 4l I sold and $800 for having it uninsured, saved)

Don't mind the wicked black tape mod in my pic I have not got around to "blacking" out the check gauge/ engine light bulbs.

Wheelin98TJ answered all your questions
Attached Thumbnails
gauges.jpg  

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #5 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 11:53 AM
wytetrash

Magnum 5.2/5.9 swap is the easiest and can be done extremely cheap if you find an entire donor vehicle, and then part out the donor after you pull the engine/trans/whatever else you need, AND if you do all your own work. People are typically most afraid of the wiring harness portion, but again, with all the info out there and all the FSM's available online, its extremely simple.

2000 Wrangler TJ - 5.2 Magnum Swap
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Duramax - Daily
post #6 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 12:28 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
I just swapped in a chevy 5.3l into my LJR. Was very easy using Daves motor mounts , stand alone harness etc..Had to modify my cross member as everything moved up 2" but that was the worst of it.

Using the NSG370/241OR combo with a Novak adapter plate. Love a manual V8. Can't complain at all. Running stock gauges.

My cost was about $5800 cad (minus $1000 for my old 4l I sold and $800 for having it uninsured, saved)

Don't mind the wicked black tape mod in my pic I have not got around to "blacking" out the check gauge/ engine light bulbs.

Wheelin98TJ answered all your questions
Oh, man, that's a great deal. Don't ask what my Hemi cost me...
TJnBC likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Oh, man, that's a great deal. Don't ask what my Hemi cost me...
Well you have a one of a kind Hemi jeep now. Seems like these LS swaps are popping up everywhere after my build. I think people here are thinking, "if TJnBC can do it, I CAN! " hahah, as I had never done a motor swap before.

I learned a lot from this swap doing 90% of it on my own (welds by others), all for the good. Was happy it worked out as inexpensive as it did, because I was warned of $10k for swaps easily.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #8 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Jeepsr4me

Best advice I can give.
Sell that rust bucket and buy something with ZERO rust..

PLENTY of good jeeps that have a lot of good mods done to them also out there. Unless you just enjoy the process of doing a V8 swap... There are lots of those out there too for a LOT less money turn key ready to go. Also I dont play that "if you dont build it yourself you will not know how to work on it" well with the advent of internet everything is at your finger tips on repairing even the most complicated issues...
post #9 of 9 Old 09-17-2019, 09:56 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You guys are making me feel weird for wanting to double down on the inline 6.

Building the right way for 37s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in