Vibration and Grinding after 8.8 and SYE - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-03-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Vibration and Grinding after 8.8 and SYE

So after the worthless Dana 35 kicked the bucket for the second time, I decided to swap it out with a custom Ford 8.8 from East Coast Gear Supply. They recommended adding a SYE to replace my T-Case drop at the same time so that they could properly set the pinion angle.

I took the project to my mechanic buddy's shop to install everything. When I got it back, I noticed a slight vibration that can be felt throughout the whole vehicle. My buddy said it was probably just the chunky tires rolling on the pavement, but I had never felt it before. After a few days of driving, there is now a metallic grinding/creaking when I first get the jeep rolling from a dead stop.

I noticed that in 2wd, if I yank on the front driveshaft, there is an audible creaking nice coming from in or around the T-Case. This goes away in any other T-Case setting. Help...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Was the pinion angle set properly after everything was installed?
post #3 of 8 Old 09-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Partsmke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the fluid level on the transfer case? Driveshaft angle is real critical when you use the 8.8 as you create a compound angle, one the offset of the axle plus the degree of angle from pinion to transfer case. High-speed balance of the driveshaft is required along with adjustable control arms to dial in the correct angle.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Ben

1998 TJ Wrangler 

How certain are you that your mechanic buddy put the t-case back together right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-05-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The vibration can be felt at just about any speed, especially at low speeds. Like 2 mph. At that speed, it feels like a rhythmic knocking, in time with the speed of the wheels. I thought driveshaft vibration could only be felt at higher speeds. My control arms are not adjustable, unfortunately.

Pinion angle was set when the axle was being assembled. Does it need to be set again after installation?

I wasn't there at the time he was putting the case back together, so for all I know, something didn't go together right. But the 4x4 works in all setting just fine.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-06-2015, 06:24 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Most people consider at least upper adjustable control arms mandatory.

Many consider pinion angle more critical with an 8.8, cause of the compound driveshaft angle, from the offset pinion.

It sounds more like a transfer case issue to me though.

How high is it lifted?

Do u have a tummy tuck?

Is the cv in the drive shaft binding?

A few pics of the shaft and its angle would help.

Good luck

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #7 of 8 Old 09-06-2015, 07:26 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
Pinion angle was set when the axle was being assembled. Does it need to be set again after installation?
I assume you mean the potential driveshaft angle was considered when determining how to weld on the brackets. That's a good start, but no substitute for properly orienting the pinion once installed.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Partsmke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
The vibration can be felt at just about any speed, especially at low speeds. Like 2 mph. At that speed, it feels like a rhythmic knocking, in time with the speed of the wheels. I thought driveshaft vibration could only be felt at higher speeds. My control arms are not adjustable, unfortunately.

I wasn't there at the time he was putting the case back together, so for all I know, something didn't go together right. But the 4x4 works in all setting just fine.
Belng able to feel something as slow as 2 mph would indicate a mechanical issue, bad ujoint, differential like a pinion bearing or transfer case issue or even an axle bearing or brake problem. Start by pulling the rear drive shaft and see if you feel the same thing at 2 mph and up.
There is no exact way to set the pinion angle before the axle is at least under the vehicle where the perches can be welded as you install. Follow the advice below with at least upper control arms that can be adjusted.

Tags
ford 8.8 , grinding , sye , transfer case , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in