Vibration at 50 MPH - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Vibration at 50 MPH

Sorry for the long post, just trying to avoid people having to ask questions.

So, I have this vibration that is fairly strong at around 50 MPH. I can sometimes feel something above or below this speed, but not all the time, and not very strong. Around 50, I can feel it in the steering wheel, shifter, through the seat, etc. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in.

When I first started feeling it strongly, I pulled the rear driveshaft to start narrowing it down. Discovered that the TC output yoke (have a SYE) was loose. Tightened it to spec, vibrations got a lot better but not gone. I didn't suspect the driveshaft, as I rebuilt it not long ago (however, it may have been slightly out of balance, as I switched from greaseable to sealed u-joints and ball, which could barely be felt and could have contributed to the yoke loosening). I replaced the TC output bearing, thinking maybe the loose yoke could have taken the bearing with it, vibes got better but not gone.

Vibes are still there with either driveshaft removed. They are less with the rear out, but still can be felt.

I bought new stuff to rebuild my rear driveshaft (again). I plan on doing this soon. Driveshaft is out, but vibrations can still be felt (just not as bad).

I looked at the exhaust. Looks like I probably have some contact between my cat and the skid (UCF UHC). Sometimes I can feel/hear a vibe at higher RPMs.

My motor and trans mounts are new (less than a year), but they were cheap ones. Still look good, but I may swap my old ones back in (they also appeared to be still good when I removed them).

Rear axle pinion yoke feels tight. I can feel the gear lash, but no in/out/up/down/left/right motion.

What I'm thinking right now is that I have a bad u-joint in the rear DS (probably damaged by the loose yoke), coupled with the exhaust interference. Anything I'm missing, or anything else I should be looking at?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 07:13 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
What I'm thinking right now is that I have a bad u-joint in the rear DS (probably damaged by the loose yoke), coupled with the exhaust interference. Anything I'm missing, or anything else I should be looking at?
That would be a good thing to check/eliminate if the trans mount is new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 07:15 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
That would be a good thing to check/eliminate if the trans mount is new.
Good to see you back!

post #4 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 07:43 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Good to see you back!
Good to be back. Thank you and Jerry very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 08:07 AM
danb303

2006 LJ Wrangler 

the bad u-joint in the rear wouldn't account for the vibration that is still there when the DS is out. Maybe you have 2 different issues.
Front pinion angle?

I fought a similar issue and it was the front driveshaft. Apparently the splines had too much play. When i drove it with the rear driveshaft out it wouldn't vibrate. I assume because the constant force on the spline (because it was doing the pulling) was keeping it from vibrating.

2006 LJR Auto. 35" tires, 538 gears, IRO 4"lift. Tom Woods! JKS TB, Rancho 5000x, Currie Correctlync
post #6 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

95% of the time vibrations are tire related
post #7 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 09:27 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakken View Post
95% of the time vibrations are tire related
This would be my input also. Have had just under to just over 50mph vibes with multiple sets of tires. Always solved by getting a good balance.

I would just learn to avoid that speed, go slower or go faster.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #8 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb303 View Post
the bad u-joint in the rear wouldn't account for the vibration that is still there when the DS is out. Maybe you have 2 different issues.
Front pinion angle?

I fought a similar issue and it was the front driveshaft. Apparently the splines had too much play. When i drove it with the rear driveshaft out it wouldn't vibrate. I assume because the constant force on the spline (because it was doing the pulling) was keeping it from vibrating.
Front pinion angle has been unchanged for a few years, so I'm thinking that's not it. After I get my rear DS rebuilt and put it back in, I'll pull the front again and take a closer look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
This would be my input also. Have had just under to just over 50mph vibes with multiple sets of tires. Always solved by getting a good balance.

I would just learn to avoid that speed, go slower or go faster.
I'll look at my tire weights before I drive home today. When I get a chance, I'll take it back to Pep Boys to have them rebalance. If I can't get there soon, I'll do a tire rotation to see if the characteristics change.

Avoiding that speed won't work. Washington DC commuter traffic seems to like to stay around 50 (when it's not hovering just above 0, that is).

Thanks for all the good input so far.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 03:49 PM
hokahay

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Front pinion angle has been unchanged for a few years, so I'm thinking that's not it. After I get my rear DS rebuilt and put it back in, I'll pull the front again and take a closer look.

I'll look at my tire weights before I drive home today. When I get a chance, I'll take it back to Pep Boys to have them rebalance. If I can't get there soon, I'll do a tire rotation to see if the characteristics change.

Avoiding that speed won't work. Washington DC commuter traffic seems to like to stay around 50 (when it's not hovering just above 0, that is).

Thanks for all the good input so far.

I have thrown some weights before.

'Later on I found it super glued to my driveway lol.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-21-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I forgot to check my wheel weights before I left work. However, it felt a lot smoother driving home than it did driving to work. Could be because I was consciously trying to separate the exhaust vibes from the driveline vibes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in