• 1 Post By scarface998
  • 1 Post By Jerry Bransford

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-10-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
scarface998
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Very weird death wobble

Hello all!

First off let me get some stuff out of the way. I know there is a thread for death wobble, I'm having a very odd case of death wobble so I wanted to start another discussion. Id also like everyone to know that i definitley know the difference between death wobble and shimmies and other such items related to suspensions and driving.

I have a 2005 Jeep wrangler LJ. Its got a 2.5 inch lift and i was having small cases of death wobble when hitting bumps and such so i went ahead and changed the stock track bar to an adjustable track bar with a drop bracket and better joints. THIS SOLVED THE DEATH WOBBLE ISSUE.

I was still having small shimmies because the tires arent perfectly balanced but when i hit bumps and such that previously gave me death wobble i wasnt getting it anymore.

SO. Yesterday i applied fluid film to the suspensions components as well as the entire underbody of the jeep!

I waited until this morning to drive it and oddly enough i experience tire shimmy which provoked death wobble from the jeep. i also went over one bump that gave me a small jerk in the steering which was unusual.

the only thing i changed was the fluid film. Does anyone have any idea or know any reason why fluid film would cause such a substantial change in the suspension or handling? maybe too much lubrication and the suspension was moving more? Did the fluid film degrade the bushings in the front susoension enough to allow wobble?

HELP ME!!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

How are your tie rod ends? When you get some new tires or get the old ones balanced properly, align the front end too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yep that^
If you continue to drive it with random shimmys etc, you are always causing more wear on other parts such as rod ends, ball joints, unit bearings etc.

Get the balance fixed (discount tire, roadforce balanced) and check everything else, sounds like you have a worn part.

Also, you mentioned a drop bracket with the track bar.... Exactly what did you put on?

Get out and explore.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2019, 04:43 PM
jeffjeep1

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I replaced ALL the tie rod and track bar pieces in my LJ. Even put on the “V8 Grand Cherokee” parts. Had an alignment done. Always had Roadforce balance done since 2001. Had a bad DW on the interstate at 70 mph.
Turned out to be the hole in the frame bracket where the track bar bolts in had wallowed out. Drilling to the next size hole and one size larger bolt solved that situation.
That could be your cause.

Jean - Wonderful wife
2003 Toyota Sequoia
2005 FA64 (aka LJ) Khaki
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
post #5 of 8 Old 10-16-2019, 08:59 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Very weird death wobble

It sounds like you introduced some bump steer by installing a track bar with a drop bracket. That is likely why the steering wheel jerked when you hit the bump. If you have not modified your steering linkage, the track bar needs to stay in the stock location / orientation.

The fluid film is not an issue. Whatever issue was causing your original death wobble is still there. The new track bar did not resolve it as you think it did.
TheBoogieman likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-22-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
scarface998
2005 LJ Wrangler 

so it looks like the recurring death wobble ended up being my own fault. when i installed the bracket i had to drill through the frame and i somehow used the wrong bit. this caused enough wiggle room for the bracket to twist when the suspension compressed. when the bracket twisted the bolts on the bracket started to loosen. re tightening the bolts temporarily fixed my issue. Ive acquired a larger bit and larger bolt and will be re drilling and installing a larger bolt with thread locker to keep the bolts from loosening again. I appreciate everyone's time and advice!
jjandascog likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface998 View Post
so it looks like the recurring death wobble ended up being my own fault. when i installed the bracket i had to drill through the frame and i somehow used the wrong bit. this caused enough wiggle room for the bracket to twist when the suspension compressed. when the bracket twisted the bolts on the bracket started to loosen. re tightening the bolts temporarily fixed my issue. Ive acquired a larger bit and larger bolt and will be re drilling and installing a larger bolt with thread locker to keep the bolts from loosening again.
You installed a dropped driver's side track bar mount? Can you post a photo of the installed bracket? Also post a photo of your Pitman arm from the side please.
OJack likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-29-2019, 08:52 PM
RDPrimeaux

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface998 View Post

changed the stock track bar to an adjustable track bar with a drop bracket.

I also went over one bump that gave me a small jerk in the steering which was unusual.

HELP ME!!

thanks

This

Been said already but bump steer is most probably what is occurring and most probably caused by the installation of the drop bracket. The track bar and draglink are not parallel anymore. Or more unparallel (is that a word?) that it was.

I am, of course, assuming that the factory pitman arm is still in place.

2006 LJ Rubicon

Tags
death wobble , diagnosis , suspension , under coating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in