US Spec Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

US Spec Question

I've got 99 TJ Sport RHD out here in Japan. The military says I can ship it back to the states as long as I can prove it's up to US specs (I know that's a gray area depending on state). They said if I can get an official letter from *somewhere* stating that it is, they'll ship it.

I know it was built as an export model: rear fog light, running lights are in the headlights vs the side, and RHD... but my understanding is that it was still built in Ohio like the rest using the same parts (airbags, shatter proof windshield etc) as US spec TJs.

Is there a way to show it's up to US specs? Anyone got any ideas?

caveat: also understand that this is the military, they may be pretty lenient as long as they can CYA. It's not like I need a letter from the Jeep President.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure they're all built to the same safety / crash standards. But, as far as getting a letter to prove it I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you can find out exactly what standards they are looking for and then find some documentation online that says your Jeep was built to those standards? I'll write you a letter if that helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 11:08 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Emissions wise, there should be a underhood sticker, similar to the ones in the link below. Should state something to the effect, meets EPA standards.

https://www.discountconverter.com/te...rter-&News=196

Also, if you can do the "vin" options search, should state something like what standard it was built to.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 11:52 AM
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Contacting Chrysler with your VIN is where I'd start. I'm sure they can send a letter with the info you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Being right has nothing to do with arrogance. It's only perceived that way by those that are wrong.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 12:00 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why not contact a vehicle importing service? They can probably give you direction on where to go if they can't do it.

97 TJ sport.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Why not contact a vehicle importing service? They can probably give you direction on where to go if they can't do it.
Because that costs thousands. Military shipping is free.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Good ideas on the VIN search. I was thinking that yesterday after I posted this. Thanks guys
post #8 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 01:24 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
Because that costs thousands. Military shipping is free.
I'm talking about having them write the letter or directing you to someone who can.

97 TJ sport.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
I'm talking about having them write the letter or directing you to someone who can.
Ohhhhhhhhhh.... gotcha. Thats not a bad idea either. I'd need to hunt down a shipping service. Good call.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Trons
1997 ZJ 

Garage
If I remember, from when I was in Yokosuka, looking to ship a car back, the safety standards they are looking for have to do with the glass, the bumpers and side collision safety. Japan is rated at 2.5mph for their bumpers and side collision, where as the US wants 5mph. The glass has to be tempered, and I don't think most over seas vehicles are. There are some good deals on nice cars over there, but getting them back to the states legal is very difficult (I was looking at a Skyline RHD).

I was there in the mid-90's so things may have changed. But when I looked into it, it was very difficult. Although, back then, if I remember correctly, the Navy would ship it, but it couldn't leave the pier till it passed inspection, once back in the states.

With a Jeep, I would think it would be a lot easier. If those are still the things they are looking for, it's a very modular vehicle and if your current one isn't equipped with what you need, it'd probably be fairly easy to get the parts and change them out in the hobby shop. Good luck and thank you for your service.

'03 TJ Rubicon (sold)
'16 KL Latitude
'97 Grand Cherokee Laredo, Stock (for now)
post #11 of 12 Old 02-26-2016, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
If I remember, from when I was in Yokosuka, looking to ship a car back, the safety standards they are looking for have to do with the glass, the bumpers and side collision safety. Japan is rated at 2.5mph for their bumpers and side collision, where as the US wants 5mph. The glass has to be tempered, and I don't think most over seas vehicles are. There are some good deals on nice cars over there, but getting them back to the states legal is very difficult (I was looking at a Skyline RHD).

I was there in the mid-90's so things may have changed. But when I looked into it, it was very difficult. Although, back then, if I remember correctly, the Navy would ship it, but it couldn't leave the pier till it passed inspection, once back in the states.

With a Jeep, I would think it would be a lot easier. If those are still the things they are looking for, it's a very modular vehicle and if your current one isn't equipped with what you need, it'd probably be fairly easy to get the parts and change them out in the hobby shop. Good luck and thank you for your service.
No way I'd try to ship a Japanese vehicle. I see these young bucks trying it all the time. Some have even completely dismantled entire cars and added them to their house hold goods. Not worth it to me.

Yeah, Im pretty sure its already built to US safety standards. I just need something matching my VIN and that statement. Im going to try to contact Chrysler. All those VIN websites and build sheets only list options installed. I haven't quite found what I need yet.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-26-2016, 04:29 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

As far as safety standards go the Jeep was built in Ohio and will have been built to meet the requirements in all of the markets that TJs were sold in.

If you need amber marker lights at the front that is easily done by either tapping or moving the wire to the side/city/marker light in the headlamp. You can also remove the ground from the side markers and tap that into the turn signals to give you the wig-wag affect that US TJs have.

There are, according to the parts list, three emissions specs for 98 TJs. Californian, Federal and European. Obtaining the build sheet will tell you which yours has if the decal under the hood doesn't. If Japan use European emissions and somehow that doesn't meet US emissions standards the PCM can be swapped.

I'd get the build sheet of Jeep and then you can ask them in response what particular items on the list might mean for taking the Jeep back to the US.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in