Upgrading brakes - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrblaine

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Pdenny244
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrading brakes

Im looking into upgrading brakes when I go to 35s on 16. I know Vanco sells a Big brake kit w/ new knuckle. Im wondering is it worth the money. Does anyone have this? Do I also need to get a new master cylinder? I know Vanco doesn't provide hydroboost for my year. Is there any alternative to Vanco? Im interested in what everyone has to say about brake upgrades. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 05:27 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdenny244 View Post
I know Vanco sells a Big brake kit w/ new knuckle. Im wondering is it worth the money. Does anyone have this?
ABSOLUTELY. One of the best upgrades I have done to my Jeep!

Quote:
Do I also need to get a new master cylinder?
nope, the Vanco brakes work with the OEM master just fine. the hydroboost is a upgrade to increase line pressure significantly, giving you even more stopping power if you feel the need.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #3 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 06:57 AM
greenmachine99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 16" vanco kit with black magic pads. It's been one of the best mods I've done to my jeep. I couldn't lock up my 35's in the rain with my old brakes, now I can lock them up with ease. Not that i want to lock them up, but if you can't then how do you know how much more braking potential you have? I'd do this kit again in a heart beat. You do not need a new master either. I'm running my stock one.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 07:30 AM
Oldjeepman
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I just got the super 16 for my 06 lj I am on 35 with 17"rims and spacers.I emailed Mr Blaine and he suggested this kit .It comes with a new master. Will let you know in a month how it works..Also I ran the centric rotors and black magic pads and rear drums and shoes was like a whole new brake system on my old 99 tj. So you could just try the rotors and pads lots less $$

06 lj Rubicon with stuff
post #5 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Pdenny244
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well looks like that confirms it. I will be purchasing the big brake kit. Id rather do it once right than have to redo it. Thanks.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 01:01 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well looks like that confirms it. I will be purchasing the big brake kit. Id rather do it once right than have to redo it. Thanks.
Make sure you tell mrblaine to include the free hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd rather knock myself unconscious, cut a finger off, poke my eye out with a sharp stick or be forced to go back to work than install anything made by Rusty's.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ on 33s. #18
post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 01:56 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Make sure you tell mrblaine to include the free hat.
All big brake kits get them.
Pdenny244 likes this.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-30-2016, 12:07 AM
Climbit

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
where's my hat?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-30-2016, 07:10 AM
Oldjeepman
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
And I thought I was special...

06 lj Rubicon with stuff
post #10 of 14 Old 07-30-2016, 07:27 AM
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
where's my hat?
In lieu of a hat you'll receive a 'participation trophy'.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I never got one...

Seriously, though, the BBK is the way to go. Make sure you read all the directions a few times before starting. There are some parts that may seem counterintuitive, but trust the directions and call Blaine or post here if you have any questions.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-30-2016, 09:22 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I never got one...

Seriously, though, the BBK is the way to go. Make sure you read all the directions a few times before starting. There are some parts that may seem counterintuitive, but trust the directions and call Blaine or post here if you have any questions.
Note the tense. All BBKs get them, not got them meaning that since we sourced hats and started including them, we have put them in every BBK sold. However, that said, I will be glad to send out a hat to anyone that has purchased a BBK from us that can find the original order number so I can look it up.

Not because I don't trust you, but I don't trust you.

Seriously, I just need a way to verify that I screwed you over at some point so I can fix it.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-30-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Pdenny244
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered the BBK from you. Im excited to get back to the states in a couple months and install them. Thanks for all the advise.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Note the tense. All BBKs get them, not got them meaning that since we sourced hats and started including them, we have put them in every BBK sold. However, that said, I will be glad to send out a hat to anyone that has purchased a BBK from us that can find the original order number so I can look it up.

Not because I don't trust you, but I don't trust you.

Seriously, I just need a way to verify that I screwed you over at some point so I can fix it.
Understand all. I think I still have the invoice in my basement.

Tags
brakes , vanco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in