upgrade my NP-231 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

upgrade my NP-231

Here is the starting point of my Rebuild. I did not take pictures during the Disassembly of the case.

All parts laid out on the table:

This Rebuild will include a JB conversions Super Short SYE, their wide chain kit, their HD 6 gear planetary gear, and Teraflex's 2 low range shift kit.

First I preped the Front side of the case by installing the O-ring and nylon bushing in the Shift selector hole.

Here the O-ring is in and the nylon bushing is the next install into the same hole.

And it is in...

Next we will install the bearing and Seal for the Front output shaft and yoke.
The bearing and retaining snap ring are seen here with the orange bearing instalation tool.

And here is a close up of the bearing location

Bearing is in...

Snap ring is in it is hard to see but the arrow shows the gap in the ring.

Here is the seal installed. Arrow to it and also another good view of the O-ring and nylon bushing.

In our next post we will be installing the input shaft bearing
stay tuned

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 TJ on 37's and 69 Firebird Convertable on blocks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 69injun; 06-23-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

part 2

Next we will be installing the input shaft bearing.

Here you can see the snap-ring on the bearing you will press the bearing in until the ring is shouldered on the case.

Installation tool (bearing and seal driver kit from Harbor Freight)

Bearing is in place.

Next Post we will work on the Back half of the case.

Stay tuned

Kevin

post #3 of 32 Old 06-23-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Part 3

Now we will work on the back half of the case.

First we will install the new front output shaft rear support bearing.
I had to take the case half to work to get the old one out since I didn't have a blind hole puller. However I have now seen them at Harbor Frieght for a good price. Here is the new bearing over the bearing location.

Next using my bearing/seal instalation tool the the Orange bearing press(deadblow hammer) we install it.

Here is the new bearing installed flush with the top edge of the bearing pocket.

Next we will start on the planetary gear assembly. Outlined in yellow are all the parts for the planetary gear and input shaft/gear assembly. The arrow points to the support bearing for the rear output shaft/ gear sellectory assembly. The old bearing can be punched out from the back side with a long punch.

Here is the new Heavy Duty Planetary gear(left) and the Stock gear(right)

And a better look at the gears of the new HD Planetary set.

and here

Here is a picture of the input shaft/hub gear with its new output shaft suport bearing ready to go in.

Next part the assembly of the Planetary/input gear assembly.

Kevin

Last edited by 69injun; 05-18-2010 at 03:51 AM.

post #4 of 32 Old 06-23-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Part 4 Planetary Gear assembly

First step is to install the new bearing in the input shaft/hub gear. Here it is with the intall tool going in place.

And the new bearing in place.

Next step is to put the plastic bushing into the planetary gear assembly. There is a groove on each side were the tabs go. I coated both sides of the bushings with some grease before installing them.

Here is the bushing in place.

Then install the input shaft/hub gear set.

Now the next bushing with a thin coat of grease.

Here you see the bushing istalled in the background and I am holding the metal backing or thrust plate.

Here the metal plate is in place.

Here is the retainer snap ring that goes in place to hold the hole assembly together.

Here you can see the snap ring in place and the hub assembly is complete.

Next we will assemble the rear output shaft and gear/range assembly.

Kevin

Last edited by 69injun; 05-18-2010 at 03:53 AM.
post #5 of 32 Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Part 5 rear output shaft assembly

Here are some of the parts we will be using next.

First install the chain sprocket onto the shaft.

Install the next gear hub on to the shaft like this.

Now we install the snap ring into the groove. You cant see the groove in this picture with the gear installed. So I pointed to it in the previouse photo.

Snap ring installed.

Here is the shaft so far.

Now I realized my pictures of the range selector hub are missing so I will have to get new ones and edit this later. I do have some pictures that show it in the case but none of it by itself.

Here is one.

The range selector hub has external teeth that engauge the internal teeth on the input shaft/gear hub(for your high 1:1 range) or the internal teeth on the planetary gear frame(for your low 2.73:1 range)

Next we install the input shaft into the case and the rear output and selector shaft.

Kevin

Last edited by 69injun; 09-08-2009 at 12:14 AM.
post #6 of 32 Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 PM
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Excellent write up...

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the
Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
post #7 of 32 Old 06-24-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Part 6 output and selector assembly

Next we put the input shaft into the front case. Here is were it inserts into, and the planetary gears engauge the outer ring gear.

And here it is installed. Don't force it, it will drop in, but you have to turn it back and forth some to get all the gears lined up and then turn it as it goes down into the case.

Next you install the snap ring on the input shaft to hold it in the case.

Here is a shot of a range selector hub. The teeth on the right are the teeth that engauge the teeth on the input shaft or plantetary gear frame, depending what range you are in.

Here the range hub and selector fork are installed with the shift sector from Teraflex with the 2 low range option. Also the mode selector fork is installed and the mode syncronizer is going in. The mode sycronizer will engauge the splined selector gear with the unsplined front output chain sprocket. Whe the two are locked you have 4 wheel drive. When the syncro is disengauged from the sprocket the front wheels will not get power.

Here they are in place.

Now we drop in the output shaft. It will also take a little finessing to get it to drop down in but don't force it. Also good to put some grease on the splines and bearings or coat with ATF.

Here is another good shot that also shows the Teraflex Shift sector (mode and range selector)

Next we will install the chain and the front output shaft. Here is a picture showing the difference between the stock and wide chain kit.

I should have put a quarter or something in the shot so you could see a referance. When I took the case apart I though I must already have a wide chain, because the stock one seemed pretty wide. But then my new one got here and I knew better.

Kevin

Last edited by 69injun; 09-08-2009 at 12:18 AM.
post #8 of 32 Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Chili

It is taking awhile to get all the pics and stuff in place and I have found some are missing. I will have to go to a used jeep parts place near here and take apart one of the broken cases and get a few more pics.

I was a little uneasy about doing a transfer case, in my head it was a smoke filled magic box. But since I have build a few engines I figured it can't be harder than that. And as you can see it realy is easier.

Thanks again

Kevin

Kevin

post #9 of 32 Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Part 7 the Chain and front output shaft.

Here is the chain and output shaft ready to go in. Remember to put the star or splined ruber washer on or you will have a leak through your yoke shaft around the nut.

Next install the chain and sprocket. You may end up lifting the rear output shaft some to get it all lined up and droped into place.

And here it is in place. I put a light coat of grease or ATF on as many parts and I could as I went along.(makes camera work harder though)

Next put the Mode spring in place. It goes on the end of the Shift fork guide rod.

Here it is in place.

Next we will rebuild the oil pump.

Kevin

Last edited by 69injun; 06-27-2008 at 05:10 AM.
post #10 of 32 Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Part 8 Rebuild the oil pump.

Here are the two halves of the oil pump housing.

First we will install a new O-ring in the oil pickup tube hole. Put some ATF or Grease on this before you install it.

Here is the new O-ring ready to go.

and installed....

Here are the two parts of the pump internals. It is a gear type ecentric(off center) pump.

Both pieces drop into the pump housing like this. And don't forget to grease them!!!!

Now we install a new seal in the pocket we pointed out earlier. Using our handy dandy seal/race installation tool and our orange dead blow press! LOL

Seal in place...

Line up housings and install screws with locktight. Housing will only lineup one way so never fear. put them together and then rotate them until the holes line up.

continue until all screws are in place and tightened.

Next put pickup tube, magnet and case halves together.

Kevin

Last edited by 69injun; 06-27-2008 at 05:11 AM.
post #11 of 32 Old 06-24-2008, 02:27 AM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

wow looking good, this will come in handy soon

post #12 of 32 Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Flash2004

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Absolutely brilliant thread!

Gordon Down Under
MT Egmont 4WD club

1999 TJ Sahara with about everything you can buy or make stuck to it.
check this out, this is my club activity.

My company
post #13 of 32 Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Part 9 Case assembly and SYE install.

OK now we will put these two case halves together. I used RTV Black. Remember not to much because what you see squeeze out on the outside is also squeezing out on the inside. And eventually this stuff can come loose and start clogging up your oil pump suction, and cause other problems too. (chain, gears, and such) I always smooth it out to a thin flat coating on each side of the mating surface.

Not much to it really but it will take some finessing and massaging to get everything to drop all the way into place. It may even take a little light persuasion with the orange deadblow press!!! But I stress Light!

Here the bolts are going in and I can tell you try and mark bolts and holes together. That will save you lots of time moving them around to get the depths and tread engaugement right. So take a leason from me on that one, will save a good hour, and help your hairline......

Next is the JB Conversions SYE. I replaced a Rubicon Hack and Tap SYE that was there when I bought my Jeep.

Here is the outer cover. It already had the bearing and seal installed in it.

Next we drop the toning ring in place.

And droped in place, the yoke tightens down on it and holds it to the shaft since it is not splined.

Now put your RTV sealant in place and install the cover.

Install the cover and the five bolts.(

Next Part we will install the yokes and the Speedometer pickup.

Kevin

Last edited by 69injun; 09-08-2009 at 12:28 AM.
post #14 of 32 Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 PM
BozoWise

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have absolutely no use for this buildup, BUT I had to say this was a GREAT WRITEUP

My 1 ton TJ build project "Evil Monkey":
post #15 of 32 Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 PM
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How much is the wide chain?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in