Unlimited hard top storage - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
commodore_dude

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unlimited hard top storage

Well I just bought a house a few weeks ago, which means I finally have somewhere to store my hard top and put the soft top back on that hasn't been on in over 2 years! I'm trying to come up with the best way to store the hard top, but most of the threads on here seem to focus on the TJ top and I don't know if the extra size/weight introduces any complications into some of the storage methods.

I've wanted one of the Lange powered lifts, but I'm not entirely sure if it will work in my garage (it's deep, but I'd have to back my Jeep well into the area I plan to use as a workshop to get clearance beyond the garage door) and I can't follow the installation instructions at all. I do have enough space to use one of these (http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_200_07.htm), and I might have a line on a used one for 50 bucks, it would be nice to save 400 off the lift . Is anyone using a dolly with their LJ? Any concerns about stress from having it in a vertical position for 8 or 9 months per year?

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

2017 Mazda6 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have 4 beefy hooks on the garage ceiling with 4 tie down straps that I hoist the hardtop up with.Cheap and works great.With an LJ I would go with a nice size eye bolt.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I built a dolly for my top and I built a hard top hoist. see the Fab link in my sig.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

post #4 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 PM
mrbillbrown
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Im also curious about the long term damage of storing vertically? I built a dolly out of scrap lumber. Solid as can be. But I havent heard anybody's experience with storing our LJ tops vertically year after year. Hopefully some longtime users will chime in.

'06 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 11:35 PM
jeep06

2015 KL Cherokee 

I hang mine in the garage with 2x4's running underneath it. I'm not sure about storing a LJ top vertically, they are heavy and the fiberglass might start bowing storing it that long.

2015 Cherokee Limited (granite) 4x4, 2.4L, 8.4AN, luxury group, wireless charge pad.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
I have 4 beefy hooks on the garage ceiling with 4 tie down straps that I hoist the hardtop up with.Cheap and works great.With an LJ I would go with a nice size eye bolt.
x2. I made a quick and dirty frame out of a few 2x4s laying around to reduce stress on the fiberglass.

Chris

2006 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 PM
jeep06

2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grt_Ape View Post
x2. I made a quick and dirty frame out of a few 2x4s laying around to reduce stress on the fiberglass.

Yep that works for sure! I went to the trouble and me being pretty anal..haha, of making short hangers out of 3/16" vinyl coated steel cable so after I get it lifted in place, all the weight is on the cable and not the straps.

2015 Cherokee Limited (granite) 4x4, 2.4L, 8.4AN, luxury group, wireless charge pad.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-21-2009, 07:41 AM
timmyt

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grt_Ape View Post

same jeep here and i did the same thing but without the 2X4's but now i have to go get some 2x4's great idea to take the stress off!

2006 LJ Rubicon. 2.5"RC BB/BL kit. 285/75/16 BFG KM2's on Moabs.

post #9 of 17 Old 02-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep06 View Post
Yep that works for sure! I went to the trouble and me being pretty anal..haha, of making short hangers out of 3/16" vinyl coated steel cable so after I get it lifted in place, all the weight is on the cable and not the straps.
I thought about having some cable made up, but never got around to it. You can see where the straps are tied off to prevent any slipping. Maybe one day I'll follow you're idea and make up some cables.

Chris

2006 LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 17 Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 PM
TJorDie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Grt ape...

Just curious, I like your idea.

How do you finagle the hardtop on to this contraption and vise versa?

Or is it just purely a place to store it?

'03 Rubicon. Inca Gold. Auto, Full Doors / OEM Hard & Soft Tops, All stock..... Hot Wife Mod
post #11 of 17 Old 06-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJorDie View Post
Grt ape...

How do you finagle the hardtop on to this contraption and vise versa?
The answer depends on whether I have help, or if it's just me.

Just me: I back in with just the straps hanging, unbolt & unlatch, hook the rear hooks to the upper corners with the rear glass open, pass the fronts under the top but over the roll cage and latch in the middle. Lift just enough to drive out. Then use a second set of straps to bring up the 2x4 frame and relieve the stress from the first set of straps & tie off.

With help: We lift off the top and set it on the frame that is on the floor. Two people then use straps to lift the frame up and tie off.

Neither way is as easy as a hoist...but meh, it works for now.

Chris

2006 LJ Rubicon
post #12 of 17 Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've have both actually. The lift worked great in my old garage, a cheap winch from harbor freight and some bars and cables from quadratec and it worked but I moved and now I use the dolly because the garage ceiling is too low. the dolly does work and handles the hard top with no problem
post #13 of 17 Old 06-26-2009, 05:40 AM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the manual lift that I bought from Quadratec and it works very well. It took me a several attempts to get the eyebolts just right, plus four attempts to get the top to hang perfectly level.

I would not buy the power option as the the manual works just fine. I did put some additional straps on it just since when I take the top off, I leave it off for awhile and my wife parks under it... Just added security!

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #14 of 17 Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

But has anyone had trouble with long term storage for an LJ top if it bows when stored vertical on a dolly?
post #15 of 17 Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

So far, no long term issues with the lj top on the dolly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in