Turns over, wont start, nothing obvious i could think of - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
markbuehner
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Turns over, wont start, nothing obvious i could think of

Hi and thanks for reading. My wife just got her 02 TJ (6cy automatic) back from the stealership (new radiator) and they replaced the broken cigarette lighter as well. When she got home it wasnt working and the fuse was blown- replaced fuse and now it will turn over but wont start (battery seems good). No codes (reads DONE), gauges are working.

Anyway, I pulled the lighter fuse completely (not blown this time), checked every other fuse in the glove box and under the hood, swapped out the fuel pump and ASD relays with the horn relay, then i got stupid and replaced the crankshaft and camshaft sensors hoping for the best. No go. Ive been assuming its something electrical with the new lighter shorting something else. Maybe not though?

Anybody got any more ideas? I really don't want to have to have it towed and I dont have any mechanics i trust nearby anyway- hate to send it back to the dealership (its not real close). Maybe somebody can walk me through checking for spark and fuel, im not real comfortable wit it.
Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Which fuse was blown?
post #3 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
markbuehner
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cigar lighter (#18 in the glovebox)

post #4 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't see any obvious correlation between the cig fuse & failing to start. It drove home with the fuse apparently blown, right? Did they just replace the lighter element (part that pulls out) or the lighter socket that is in the panel? If you replace the fuse does it still blow & if so when you turn the key or when you use the lighter?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
markbuehner
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah im starting to think maybe it was a coincidence- they replaced the whole outlet. It drove home with the blown fuse no problem, then replaced the fuse and the outlet now works and hasn't blown again, but it was immediately after that she stopped starting (actually i pulled the cigar fuse since while testing all the other components).

I found this wiring diagram for a '98 but i don't see anything in line that should be a problem.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Better diagrams here. I see ’02 showing fuse 19 & ’03 showing fuse 18 for the lighter so there may be a case of you having a “late” ’02 but go with what matches your jeep. Note that the later ones don’t use a relay as the ’98 shows.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service

As to getting it started, try jumping the ASD relay (#30 to #87) to see if that gets it. You can also try that for the fuel pump relay as well. Don’t leave the FP relay jumped if it doesn’t start as it’s not good for the pump to pump with the engine not running. With it jumped it will have power even with the key off.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
cdutlinger
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump maybe?
post #8 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
markbuehner
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thats my next stop, i'll try to jump the fp relay and see if it runs and i can start it. Otherwise maybe a ground or the PCM?
post #9 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM
conair
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is there any spark gitting to the spark plugs, if not check the distributor.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any luck getting it started?
post #11 of 12 Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM
1JeepCreep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hi all! My first post here. Not trying to hijack but I've been dealing with this same problem with my 99 w/AT.

To add more info into the discussion, we also replaced the cam shaft sensor due to it throwing code for it, and replaced the coil after the cam shaft sensor didn't solve the problem, but cleared the damn code.

Fuel pressure is fine, battery is fine, distributer looks fine. They key to the mystery is no spark from the coil to the distributer. We pulled the coil plug from the distributer and couldn't get an arc, which is why we R&R'd the coil after the camshaft sensor didn't work. I haven't checked all of the fuses yet.

OP, try checking these things also, hopefully you'll get a better result. I may have to trailer mine to a shop too...
post #12 of 12 Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM
nbeddoes13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i had this issue also. In my case it turned out to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Replaced it for $125 and it starts fine now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in