Turn signal issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Turn signal issue

Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help me out with this issue, My left signal light stopped working. I tested the light and it works if I apply power directly to it but it does not light up with the lever. The right side works fine, as well as the hazard lights. The FSM says it uses a 5 pin combo flasher, as do the parts stores search functions.

The FSM says the flasher is behind the left multi-function switch/lever but I don't see it. There is something that looks like one but behind the right side multi-switch, pointed by the fat arrow. I tried to pull it out but it did not yield. There is also a 2 pin round flasher pointed by the thin arrow, which the FSM does not mention.
So, is the 5 pin flasher the one pointed by the fat arrow? I bought that already but I need to know if I am on the right track to somehow remove the old one. I ordered the round 2 pins LED-friendly flasher on Amazon just in case but won't get here until Tuesday. I searched the forum but it did not turn out anything I could use.
Peace

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 08:56 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That silver cylinder is the relay. It's a square relay in all the pics I've seen before. If you need to remove the switch to replace the relay you should take a look at the connector sockets and plugs just to make sure there's no corrosion present which could cause issues.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, JJ, I will replace the round silver relay and go from there. I will post the results.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, changed the round 2 pin flasher and still same situation. I am only getting 6.6v at the terminal. Does anyone have any clues what may be happening?
Thanks
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The flasher relay is not the cause of only one side signal not working. The relay only gets input from the multifunction switch & sends output back to that switch. It has no idea what the switch does from there (left, right or hazards). If any of those are working, its not the relay. So if one side is not working (or only front or rear on one side) the problem is elsewhere, either the multifunction switch or further down the circuit(s).

You do not indicate whether both front & rear or only one end is not working. That info might help isolate the problem.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Sillycock
2001 TJ Wrangler 

your setup looks totally different than all the other '01 TJ's I 've seen. Mine is currently torn apart and I have the 5 point relay/module where you have the round silver plug....
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

At which terminal are you getting 6.6V? and is it when the hazards/turn signals are on or activated in any particular direction?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you, gentlemen, for the responses. Good to know is not a flasher issue. Both the front and rear left do not flash. The front does not light at all, the rear does light up. How weird, I checked the part for both 1999 through 2003, TJs and all specify the 5 pin flasher. I get the 6.6v at the flasher terminal. I am going to follow the wire to see if it is grounding out. For now, I called Metalcloak to get replacement lights just in case. I appreciate your help.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-22-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the left turn signal works now! I installed a new LED light Metalclock sent me 100% FREE of charge. They actually sent a pair. WOW! When I installed it, it lit up dim, where the other did not light up at all, but still did not blink. I went to the rear light and I also noticed it was dim, something I did not notice before. I swapped the rear right signal bulb to the left and it worked as it should have. I installed the bulb I removed on the right side and it also worked! I am thinking that the left rear bulb was loose or had some corrosion on it and it was causing the voltage drop. Mabe the front LED light was indeed bad. Or a combination of both. Happily, they work now.

Thank you all who pitched in to help.

Next, off to try and fix my 5 or so year ordeal: Several freaking monitors do not set. I recently discovered the battery sensor was 8.5v low. I read that condition leads to the monitor problem I am experiencing. I recently changed it and have done several drive cycles with no luck. I will wait a bit longer and if the condition does not get resolved, I will ask for help in a stand-alone post.
Thanks again,
Mario

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in