Turbocharged 2.4L for my TJ!!! - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 12:22 AM
GreaseMonkey69

update guys here are a few pics for the turbo set up. my and my friends is not pretty, but he is waiting on the aluminum piping to make it look clean. we are running 6 psi and gained about 8 mpg driving around with it.
i think we are the first to the air to air intercooler. airsierra did the air/water intercooler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 AM
GreaseMonkey69

pics of the set up

post #213 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 AM
GreaseMonkey69

now the piping we used was not practical at all really,but it worked. my friend moved to key west florida and i don't know if he cleaned up the engine bay from all the unorthodox amount of weird piping. don't mind the weird *** exhaust set up lol. we needed something to get us to the exhaust shop so we had to improvise.

post #214 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 AM
sourskittle
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well its about F-ing time !!!!
All I hear about 4-banger jeeps is about how slow they are, and they are so easy to turbo, essp. the 2.4L straus, cirrus,PT cruiser, SRT4 motors.

I'll prob. own an auto 2.4L TJ wrangler in the future b/c of this.

What are you guys doing for fuel ?

That mopar BOX spacer is going to drive you nuts after a while. I had one from forge motorsports, and it was cool for a few weeks, then it just started driving me nuts ( in my SRT4 ). Then again..... The SRT4 is supposed to be turbo'd, I guess I'd live with it in a jeep, just to show off.

2002 TJ Apex edition with EFI ford 5.0L H.O., NV3550, 33'' Maxxis A/Ts, 5'' lift with custom built rear 4-link, Ford 8.8 LSD 4.10s, HP D30 with spartan locker 4.10s
post #215 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 AM
GreaseMonkey69

yea i have a DBB 50 trim srt-4 that is in the 400's. we had a greddy type S blow off valve,but he is using it for his fully built 420A. so we went with the standard rice plate he bought my DBB 60 trim and some of the parts to make his jeep turbocharged. we put a AEM wideband and a srt-4 boost gauge on his left side pillar. i wish i had pics of that though.

as for the fuel he is currently using stock fuel set-up with devils own water/meth injection for the cooling and octane. i know as long as we don't push it past 6 psi the fuel injectors and the pcm will compensate for the extra air. i wish i could see how well the jeep is doing now. he is in key west Florida now.

when i move to colorado i have a 87 jeep that is needing some tlc. i might just get a manifold made for the sraight 6 and put a GT28 or something on it to get the extra torque, but that is another project im sure i will be dumping money into
post #216 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 AM
friskeljr
2002 TJ Wrangler 

nice... thats not a bad swap

USAF Medic SSgt
The real test comes when all strength has fled and man must produce victory on will alone...
post #217 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM
92yjeep92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelm n Rubi View Post
My guess is that you just turn it 90 degrees.
which way?? my fan is in the back. lol
post #218 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 AM
digitalcox

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check that out, not a bad swap. JP actually did an article in their latest issue about the 505 Performance kit for the 4 bangers.

Justin
2004 Jeep Wrangler l 1946 Willys CJ2A l 1988 BMW 325 l 2009 Triumph Thruxton
post #219 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I won't run a cold air intake on my SRT-4, so I think I would be terrified to have an exposed filter like that on my Jeep. I guess you don't take it through many deep mud puddles. I actually liked the blue plate while I used it, but I upgraded to an HKS SSQ unit. I bet you get some strange looks from the BOV on a Jeep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #220 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Air Sierra

2007 JK Wrangler 

NICE!!!!

I have more spacers too...

YES My old jeep is RUNNING A 2.4L TURBO MOTOR If you want to know
post #221 of 253 Old 10-16-2009, 01:23 AM
sourskittle
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey69 View Post
yea i have a DBB 50 trim srt-4 that is in the 400's. we had a greddy type S blow off valve,but he is using it for his fully built 420A. so we went with the standard rice plate he bought my DBB 60 trim and some of the parts to make his jeep turbocharged. we put a AEM wideband and a srt-4 boost gauge on his left side pillar. i wish i had pics of that though.

as for the fuel he is currently using stock fuel set-up with devils own water/meth injection for the cooling and octane. i know as long as we don't push it past 6 psi the fuel injectors and the pcm will compensate for the extra air. i wish i could see how well the jeep is doing now. he is in key west Florida now.

when i move to colorado i have a 87 jeep that is needing some tlc. i might just get a manifold made for the sraight 6 and put a GT28 or something on it to get the extra torque, but that is another project im sure i will be dumping money into
My SRT4 was the 2nd or 3rd one to run 11's on the stock turbo ( behind Danssrt4 ). My screen name on the srt4 forumw as GLHtoo. I did all the testing on PTP performance's upgraded stock turbos, and my buddy built all the turbos for PTP in his shop a few miles from my house. Its a great car, and a fantastic motor. I sold mine after I put the 2nd motor in it, and with 380 "break-in miles" on the brand new motor ( head, cams etc etc ) it hydrolocked on me on Thanksgiving morning. The check valve from my devilsown meth injection kit failed ( it was like there $45 one ) and dumped two quarts into my intercooler, and when I left for work, Bang. I slapped some new rods/pistons in it, sold/traded all the race parts and bought something not worth racing ( G35 6-speed coupe ). I miss the SRT4, but not all the sleepless nights trying to find a way to go .001 faster or the weekends in the shop working on it ( like I do the jeeps now, haha ).

Just so everyone knows, they built a 3-speed auto dodge caravan too with the 2.4L 4 banger. Again, it didn't reallize it until after I'd bought a V6 one.

The jeep 2.5L with the 505 kit on it in this months JP mag only made 120whp/160TQ. My SRT4 from the factory made 242whp/281TQ. Later it made 354whp 407TQ ( still stock from the TB to the turbo ), then 409whp/505TQ on the 100shot. That was all on the stock intercooler and air box/filter as well. As a matter of fact, my SRT4 only ever used a stock air filter ( the OEM one that came in the car ). Now I have the air filter on my 5.0L in my jeep, I figure I know it can flow 400whp worht of air, haha.

2002 TJ Apex edition with EFI ford 5.0L H.O., NV3550, 33'' Maxxis A/Ts, 5'' lift with custom built rear 4-link, Ford 8.8 LSD 4.10s, HP D30 with spartan locker 4.10s
post #222 of 253 Old 10-16-2009, 06:14 PM
GreaseMonkey69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
I won't run a cold air intake on my SRT-4, so I think I would be terrified to have an exposed filter like that on my Jeep. I guess you don't take it through many deep mud puddles. I actually liked the blue plate while I used it, but I upgraded to an HKS SSQ unit. I bet you get some strange looks from the BOV on a Jeep.
oh yea when we were testing the jeep driving around vroooom... WHOOSH!.. yea it was alot of fun. well i know he got a custom pup that had a 90 degree on it and put the filter up next to the passenger fender well. we were going to use a greddy type S,but that was for his dsm so we went with the rice plate since that was easy to install.
post #223 of 253 Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM
GreaseMonkey69

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcox View Post
Check that out, not a bad swap. JP actually did an article in their latest issue about the 505 Performance kit for the 4 bangers.
how much are they running for? do you have a link to that article or something?
post #224 of 253 Old 10-16-2009, 06:16 PM
GreaseMonkey69

Quote:
Originally Posted by friskeljr View Post
nice... thats not a bad swap
thanx it was a pain at first, but we made it through!
post #225 of 253 Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
GreaseMonkey69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourskittle View Post
My SRT4 was the 2nd or 3rd one to run 11's on the stock turbo ( behind Danssrt4 ). My screen name on the srt4 forumw as GLHtoo. I did all the testing on PTP performance's upgraded stock turbos, and my buddy built all the turbos for PTP in his shop a few miles from my house. Its a great car, and a fantastic motor. I sold mine after I put the 2nd motor in it, and with 380 "break-in miles" on the brand new motor ( head, cams etc etc ) it hydrolocked on me on Thanksgiving morning. The check valve from my devilsown meth injection kit failed ( it was like there $45 one ) and dumped two quarts into my intercooler, and when I left for work, Bang. I slapped some new rods/pistons in it, sold/traded all the race parts and bought something not worth racing ( G35 6-speed coupe ). I miss the SRT4, but not all the sleepless nights trying to find a way to go .001 faster or the weekends in the shop working on it ( like I do the jeeps now, haha ).

Just so everyone knows, they built a 3-speed auto dodge caravan too with the 2.4L 4 banger. Again, it didn't reallize it until after I'd bought a V6 one.

The jeep 2.5L with the 505 kit on it in this months JP mag only made 120whp/160TQ. My SRT4 from the factory made 242whp/281TQ. Later it made 354whp 407TQ ( still stock from the TB to the turbo ), then 409whp/505TQ on the 100shot. That was all on the stock intercooler and air box/filter as well. As a matter of fact, my SRT4 only ever used a stock air filter ( the OEM one that came in the car ). Now I have the air filter on my 5.0L in my jeep, I figure I know it can flow 400whp worht of air, haha.
yea my srt is on it's 3rd lol. first one was the stock one. then i rebuilt it,but did not hot tank the motor and the pieces of metla wore my main and rod bearings giving out on me on my was from denver to oklahoma. those were eagle rods and JE pistons. i did it the right way this time holding strong with 18K on the motor

now i know the 2.4L in the jeep have a 9.5:1 compression and the srt's have a 8.0:1 compression. along with the oil squirters in the block. i think the best way is use a srt-4 big turbo manifold. i was thinking buy a big turbo manifold, a GT2840RS (44 lb compressor wheel) 38mm wga and make a custom 3in O2 housing to mate up to the stock exhaust. then you would not have to worry about tapping into the heater core. although DBB turbo's last longer, but a bigger turbo with the manifold design will put the turbo higher and away from water. i want to do another project like this for a jeep of my own.

i do have a 4.0L 87 jeep waiting for me to rebuild when i get back to denver colorado

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in