Tummy tuck question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you raise the transmission, you raise the exhaust. It doesn't matter what skid you use, who it's from or what they say.....you want to cut the exhaust mount down by the amount you raise the transmission over stock so that the exhaust remains neutral. It's very intuitive when you think about it and it's really that simple.

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bet you would not need to modify your exhaust hanger since you have the bigger bl. But if you do, it is not really a big deal if you can cut and weld. My exhaust was barely rattling against the tub before I modified the hanger. It was more annoying than anything else.

Good luck!

**Edit**
What Imped says makes sense about needing to modify the exhaust.

2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
post #33 of 38 Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
If you raise the transmission, you raise the exhaust. It doesn't matter what skid you use, who it's from or what they say.....you want to cut the exhaust mount down by the amount you raise the transmission over stock so that the exhaust remains neutral. It's very intuitive when you think about it and it's really that simple.
Makes sense when you put it that way. But I haven't read a post/thread by you that didn't. So when savvy decides to get their under armor manufacturing going again I'll just make the changes as necessary, but with their adjustable hanger it won't be too much of an issue.

post #34 of 38 Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy uses a slotted hanger with plenty of adjustment. Support the exhaust so that it's neutral--not sagging or being forced up--and tighten down the bolts. Done.

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV
post #35 of 38 Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Savvy uses a slotted hanger with plenty of adjustment. Support the exhaust so that it's neutral--not sagging or being forced up--and tighten down the bolts. Done.
Sounds solid, just gotta get it to my door
post #36 of 38 Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Necko2529

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is the reason im going to switch over to savvy. I screwed my stock exhaust hanger, cut out too much, now the muffler is riding on the skid. Im pretty sure my exhaust is in a bind since i had to hook it up and then forcefully slide the hanger back in place on the 3550 it can't be good....

Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
post #37 of 38 Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's a pretty good indicator that it's not sitting neutrally. You could pick up a new bracket off eBay or just figure out where it needs to be, cut a piece of steel to use as a splice, and weld it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-Jeep-W...ac0191&vxp=mtr

Just a tip: When I do this, I preload the exhaust up just a bit, like 1/4". That will keep it tight and will prevent the hanger from moving around inside the bushing.

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #38 of 38 Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Necko2529

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's a pretty good indicator that it's not sitting neutrally. You could pick up a new bracket off eBay or just figure out where it needs to be, cut a piece of steel to use as a splice, and weld it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-Jeep-W...ac0191&vxp=mtr

Just a tip: When I do this, I preload the exhaust up just a bit, like 1/4". That will keep it tight and will prevent the hanger from moving around inside the bushing.
First of all, thanks for the link. Dealership had no idea what i was talking about.

I made a rookie mistake when taking measurements. I lifted the 3550 and threw a jack stand underneath and then took my measures... I ended up cutting just a hair less than an inch. Once everything was welded up and i went to install it is when i realized what i have done.

I could easily splice another piece in but am thinking that may not be the best way to go about it. Id rather get a whole new bracket and eliminate extra welds.

Im very happy with my rokmen skid. But i figured if im gonna go thru all this trouble to put the exhaust back to neutral position i might as well go ahead and get some more clearance with Savvy. The weight also played a role, i forgot just how much that pig weighs.

Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department

Tags
savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in