Tuffy Console Question - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 53flattie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-13-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Tuffy Console Question

I installed a new Tuffy rear-half console this evening. Iím very happy with the install and the security it provides. However, Iím noticing that the factory front-half is now pretty loose. As in, it has a good bit of wiggle to it.

Iíve removed TJ consoles before, so I know thereís one bolt in the front half, under the passenger side of the shifter boot. But I canít remember if there are any others? I know the pre-2001ís had an ďearĒ on the very front, with a bolt, but this 2004 doesnít have that.

Iím going to remove the front half to see if I can figure out a way to add another screw or two (maybe some self-tappers). My question is, how do I get the shifter boot out without breaking something? The last two that Iíve removed, I ended up breaking an ear off the retaining ring for the boot. It has been so long that I canít exactly remember the right way to do it and I really donít want to break this one...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-13-2019, 08:24 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If it is the same as a Auto, the shift boot plate slides forward about 3/8-1/2"and pops up.

There is a hidden screw under the cup holder too on '00

The family TJ build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

non stock CJ's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My CJ5 Build:

post #3 of 11 Old 11-13-2019, 10:46 PM
Mattific

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Whenever I have to pop out the shift boot, I just take out the coin holder thing in front of it first, then reach through that hole and push up on it from underneath

post #4 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Thanks guys.

Follow up request for opinions... When I ordered the ďcharcoalĒ color, I assumed it would match my interior a little better than it does. Now Iím wondering if I should exchange it for black. Granted, black definitely doesnít match the seats and dash, but I would almost prefer a contrasting color over what looks like a badly-failed attempt to actually match the interior colors.

What say you guys - exchange for black, or keep the grey?

post #5 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 10:36 AM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It looks almost Blue. I know Tuffy makes one in the same camel you have in your interior, I had one that I painted black in my CJ.

I have a "Sahara" that has a camel interior and I went black on the entire Tuffy setup. I also put in black seats, seat covers, carpet, glove box, etc.

I got the radio version and put my tri-band in the radio spot and a Cobra 75 in the same spot

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #6 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 01:54 PM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
Thanks guys.

Follow up request for opinions... When I ordered the ďcharcoalĒ color, I assumed it would match my interior a little better than it does. Now Iím wondering if I should exchange it for black. Granted, black definitely doesnít match the seats and dash, but I would almost prefer a contrasting color over what looks like a badly-failed attempt to actually match the interior colors.

What say you guys - exchange for black, or keep the grey?

Can't tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like you may have the khaki interior. If so, Tuffy quit making that color.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #7 of 11 Old 11-15-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

I decided to send it back. I plan to have this Jeep for a while and I know Iíll look at it every time Iím driving and regret it.

Kudos to Quadratec. I called them to let them know I wanted to exchange it. I fully expected to have to pay the return shipping, wait on mine to get back and be ďacceptedĒ, then wait for another to arrive. I figured I would be looking at a 2 to 3 week turn-around.

Instead, they immediately sent out a replacement, and emailed a pre-paid UPS label for me to return the one I have. No charge at all. I called them on Thursday at 2:00pm and the replacement will arrive on Monday.

I was shocked.

WSS likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-16-2019, 07:09 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good call on black. That would have been my opinion had I read this sooner. Even with khaki you still have black plastic parts on the dash, black floor board, etc.
I did the full size console so I got a couple extra screws to use and it fits plenty snug. But I did not want to use the rear cup holder to I just put a couple round head screws in the holes.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #9 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 09:46 AM
dln1962
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Good call on black. That would have been my opinion had I read this sooner. Even with khaki you still have black plastic parts on the dash, black floor board, etc.
I did the full size console so I got a couple extra screws to use and it fits plenty snug. But I did not want to use the rear cup holder to I just put a couple round head screws in the holes.
I put a khaki one in my 00 a couple months ago and kinda regret the color now because I'll probably change the interior. But that's what paint is for. Mine fit extremely well too and no rattles but like yours it's the whole thing, not just the rear half. I plugged those same two holes in mine as well -- no back seat so nobody's gonna use it!
post #10 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Iím giving serious consideration to buying a full set of black seats. Thereís a set for sale locally for $650.

Is it possible to swap an entire dash? Or is it a nightmare? Doesnít seem like it would be too difficult, since the instrument cluster comes out separately, along with the radio, climate controls, and switches.

post #11 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 11:05 AM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Most likely, your steering column and AC/stereo bezel are already black, maybe your dash cluster too. Tuffy makes a glovebox insert in black too. You could use the new "fusion" paint to handle the rest of the dash. I put a set of bartact black seat cover that I really like.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in