Trying to figure out my LJ lift - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
CWH2019

Trying to figure out my LJ lift

First off this is my first post as a new member here, unofficially. Im a new first owner of a 2006 LJ, Jeep Green PGJ, full soft top, stock height on 30" tires. Purchased this baby 350 miles from my house. Made the trip home flawlessly and has been daily driven for the past 2 months. My dream rig is sitting on 32" or 33" tires with the minimum 2.5" lift, Hardtop, Roof rack, Rear cargo carrier..Upper and lower maybe. I do camp a lot and wheeling is mostly light trails and creek crossings. I like a knarly hill now and again. But in the same sentence 85-95% of the time this is going to be a pavement pounder. I just want to look the part I guess is what I'm saying. Ive been tying to read up on the good and bad with lift kits and high high do you actually need. Now from what I've gathered with my Jeep being a LJ, if I keep it under 3" of lift I can avoid the slip yoke/DC driveshaft or even the drop transfer case mod upgrades. Is the driveline angle that different between a stock length TJ and the LJ?

Are the factory LJ rear springs a progressive rate spring?
I want a good quality spring and I've settled possibly on the H&R LJ replacement spring. I can't find anyone who has used this spring on a LJ to find out how much lift there putting out. Ive read several people mention getting 1" to 1.25" of lift with the TJ version Spring I thought I read where there is no one in the aftermarket world that makes a true "REAR" progressive rate lifted spring. My questions is...Could I just get a good 2" lift block(my current idea is to keep to the smaller 32" tire for daily use and get a set of used half worn 33" Mud tire for the trips to the woods) on the rear and continue to run stock rear springs and keep the factory ride. Then I could possibly spend a little more for a better quality front set of lift springs. Or would the ride difference, between stock rear springs on a block lift vs non progressive 2-2.5 inch lift springs from say Rough Country's 2.5 lift springs or ProComps 2" lift spring, even be noticeable. Forgot to mention that I would most likely be running the Rancho RS5000X shocks. Are the Springs that noticeable between say Rough countrys more economically priced springs to the more expensive brands like H&R,Savvy,OME etc. My thinking is the ride quality comes mostly in the type of shocks your running. What advantages are the more expensive springs giving up? Are the advantages more off road based?
This is what I am willing to spend my money on to achieve a mild 2 inch suspension lift. Procomp 2" front springs with 2" billet lift blocks for the stock rear coil springs. Rancho +2 inches RS5000X shocks, and possibly a 1 inch body lift, brand not researched yet. Probably wouldn't need it but an adjustable track bar, front and rear, if the diffs are off by much. Not planning on any transfer case drop or pinion angle issues unless there's vibration I guess. Hell my jeep has 130,000 it already has vibrations.
Or should I just get a 2-3 inch all spring lift from Rough Country or ProComp or 3" from the better Spring makers. Im obviously trying to do this on a hella budget but im not for saving and waiting a bit to get good quality stuff. Just don't think I need that much quality for what little heavy off roading I think ill be doing in this Jeep LJ. Are there lower quality Springs I should avoid like the plague? Being on a budget sucks! but its kinda cool to search for bargains and get the best bang for the buck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2019, 01:19 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Your first hurdle is to find a lift spring that will create the your desired ride height along with the weight of the rack, hardtop, etc. Weight is weight and the results will vary regardless of what the advertised lift height is.

Don't focus so much on whether or not the springs are progressive. The ride quality comes from the shocks and tire pressure.

2003 Rubicon

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-26-2019, 01:45 AM
Kolak
Vendor

How many miles are on your Jeep? Are your 30" tires still in good shape and do you plan on keeping them for awhile?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or

post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-2019, 05:42 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Don't get half worn mud tires for the woods. If you don't want mud tires on all the time get some ATs. If you get good ATs the will perform better than bad MTs. Get one set of tires and with the extra money get a winch.

Like JJVW talked about you need to figure out your weight when you pick your springs.

You said "Roof rack, Rear cargo carrier..Upper and lower maybe". Are you are talking about upper and lower cargo racks that are behind the jeep like the one that sit over you tire and plug into a hitch? Weight that far back may change your Jeeps driving characteristics. If that is the case and you can't lighten up think about air bags in the rear, this can help.

My advice is lighten up. My son and I do some camping in the woods while we off road, the cool term is "overlanding". We call it going camping in the Jeep. I do with a group of friends and some of these people really go all out. All sorts of racks, fuel cans all over the place, big boxes or crap. Roof top tents, awnings, it all makes for cool pictures but will make you Jeep handle like **** on and off road. They get to camp and their vehicles are like transformers.

Unless you are goin on safari in Africa or some place like that pack light. If you will base camp and want all sorts of stuff, get a trailer.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2019, 06:57 AM
Bruce06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a stock LJ and a rear cargo rack...I usually don't notice any difference when using the rack, but I do have new shocks and AT tires. It has never let me down...except the other day when reverse left my NSG370 transmission.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2019, 08:05 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce06Unltd View Post
I have a stock LJ and a rear cargo rack...I usually don't notice any difference when using the rack, but I do have new shocks and AT tires. It has never let me down...except the other day when reverse left my NSG370 transmission.
If it is in the back area inside the Jeep you won't notice it. If it is the type that plugs into the hitch receiver and you put enough weight on it you will notice it.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2019, 08:16 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
If it is in the back area inside the Jeep you won't notice it. If it is the type that plugs into the hitch receiver and you put enough weight on it you will notice it.
X2. Weight behind the rear axle will sink the rear springs and it will also lift the front up. A big elaborate tire carrier will do this very quickly. When that happens, any of the usual help with figuring out the coil springs goes out the window.

I would also encourage keeping the weight to a minimum. Go camping with the Jeep as is and figure out what you really need. You'll enjoy it more with less stuff.

2003 Rubicon

2003 Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in