• 1 Post By Jerry Bransford
  • 2 Post By mukluk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-18-2021, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Aaron43
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Truetrac questions

I had a Detroit Locker Trutrac LSD installed in both axles.

This is the front unit

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_602.htm

This is the rear unit
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_606.htm

The front is a Dana 30 with 4.10 motive gears and the rear is a Dana 44 with 4.10 motive gears.

Since the install the front pulls to the right and the steering feels heavy.

The rear feels good and engages properly.

Off the ground in neutral, if I spin a front wheel both wheels turn together.

Off the ground in neutral, if I spin a rear wheel only one wheel moves.

My concern is the front. The pulling feels like the front right tire is low on air...but its not.

Why does the steering feel heavy and would a LSD make it pull to the right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-18-2021, 03:59 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's not normal. Before I switched to f/r lockers, I had f/r Truetracs and I couldn't even tell they were there when in 2wd on the street. Make sure you're not trying to test them in 4Hi or 4Lo, wonky behavior can be expected in 4x4.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-18-2021, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Aaron43
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
No, just in 2wd.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-18-2021, 09:47 PM
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have those exact Trutrac diffs in my 1997 TJ, with 4.1 ratio gears, and while driving around town in 2WD I do not even know they are there.

Off road when in 4WD you to not really notice them until you start to loose grip then they start working, but I have not had them pull to one side, or anything like that.

I would take the Jeep back to where you got them installed and get them to fault find for you.

I really love my dual Trutrac TJ, perfect for the milder Jeeping that I do.

1997 TJ Soft Top/ Half Doors
4.0 I6 with 5 Speed Manual | K&N Panel Filter | D30/D44 | 3.07 Gears | Banks Torque Tube Header
31*10.5 R15 Maxxis Trepador Radial Tyres | 2" BDS Spring Lift | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | JKS Discos | JKS Rear Swaybar Links | 100W Narva Spotlights
post #5 of 14 Old 03-19-2021, 09:23 AM
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When I first got my TrueTracs in the front, I noticed heavier steering and a slight pull. Now, I notice nothing at all. Either it needs to "break-in", or you just get used to it.
mukluk and Aaron43 like this.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-20-2021, 08:08 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Truetrac for the Dana 30 differs from most others in that it is built with a preload. What this means to you is that unlike the rear which will differential turn somewhat easily, the front requires roughly 100 ftlb of torque to make the two front tires rotate independently of each other (per the final inspection section of the install/owner's manual). This generally translates into a somewhat stronger return to center feel or what some may interpret as heavier than normal steering.
Jerry Bransford and Pine_Cat like this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 14 Old 03-22-2021, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Aaron43
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
The Truetrac for the Dana 30 differs from most others in that it is built with a preload. What this means to you is that unlike the rear which will differential turn somewhat easily, the front requires roughly 100 ftlb of torque to make the two front tires rotate independently of each other (per the final inspection section of the install/owner's manual). This generally translates into a somewhat stronger return to center feel or what some may interpret as heavier than normal steering.

The final inspection involves a functions check.

Step 1. check brakes for drag

Step 2. While turning one wheel the other should turn in the opposite direction....Units with preload have a higher resistance to turning.

Step 3. Road test.

So when i did my final inspection both front wheels turned in the same direction.

Does this mean the unit is defective since the manual says something different?
post #8 of 14 Old 03-22-2021, 11:22 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron43 View Post
The final inspection involves a functions check.

Step 1. check brakes for drag

Step 2. While turning one wheel the other should turn in the opposite direction....Units with preload have a higher resistance to turning.

Step 3. Road test.

So when i did my final inspection both front wheels turned in the same direction.

Does this mean the unit is defective since the manual says something different?
No, it's not defective. The note about the wheels turning opposite direction applies to non-preloaded units like the one in your D44. The D30 version will have both wheels turning the same direction and require up to 100 ftlbs of torque to deviate from this behaviour -- if you hold one wheel fast and try to rotate the other one, it will only move a little bit before it feels as though it is locked, whereupon applying ~100 ftlbs of torque will get it to rotate.
Jerry Bransford and Aaron43 like this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #9 of 14 Old 03-22-2021, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Aaron43
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Is there a LSD differential for a Dana 30 that does not have preload? I do not like the feedback from the differential.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-22-2021, 06:27 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't detect the presence of my front or rear Truetrac when in 2wd on the streets. Is that Truetrac needed for slick flat roads or more for offroading? If more for offroading consider a selectable locker like an Eaton E-Locker. It's open/unlocked on the street.
Aaron43 likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-23-2021, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Aaron43
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
It seems a lot of people say they cannot detect the trutrac from day 1 in the front but some say they can and it never goes away...by some accounts its the nature of the beast (preload), by other accounts it is not. Some say after a period of time, mileage they break in a bit and the trutrac is not noticeable.

I wonder why so many people with the same product have such varied results. It seems very odd.

Right now its for almost all street use but this winter its going to become a full time camp rig, snow, mud, water...
post #12 of 14 Old 03-24-2021, 05:39 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I also have front and rear Truetracs. They were installed five years ago and I don't at all feel the front on the street (in 2WD).

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #13 of 14 Old 03-25-2021, 11:19 AM
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The answer to this is simple. "Feel" is subjective and any minor "feel" after awhile becomes "normal" Secondly, not everyone has the same tires, axle, gear ratio, driving experience, etc...

I actually liked the "heavier" feel and snappier return to center. As I said before, I barely notice it now, but then again, I have been driving that Jeep since March of 1997, it's damned near an extension of my body at this point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron43 View Post
It seems a lot of people say they cannot detect the trutrac from day 1 in the front but some say they can and it never goes away...by some accounts its the nature of the beast (preload), by other accounts it is not. Some say after a period of time, mileage they break in a bit and the trutrac is not noticeable.

I wonder why so many people with the same product have such varied results. It seems very odd.

Right now its for almost all street use but this winter its going to become a full time camp rig, snow, mud, water...
post #14 of 14 Old 03-25-2021, 09:04 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

@JeffBowser
Similar experience here as well. The difference in steering feel is only readily apparent when I swap between my '05 and '00, otherwise the stronger return to center is subtle.
JeffBowser and Aaron43 like this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in