Transmission leak? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
libtech
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission leak?

Hey, I'm new here. Just want to introduce myself by saying that I like this forum almost as much as I love my jeep. Lots of good, credible information here. This is my first jeep (had it for 2 mths), my first 4x4, and I don't have a repair manual. I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out.

I was out doing some "aggressive" off-roading this past weekend. Nothing too crazy as my jeep is stock with 31's. When I brought it home I crawled underneath to check things out and make sure all is well. I noticed some gear oil dripping from the t-case skid. Not a continous drip, just little drips hanging on. I later removed the skid plate, and then removed the transmission mount plate (the thing that hangs off an exhaust mount). I cleaned the whole area up pretty well, there was a fair amount of gear oil all over the place. I waited and even ran the engine in 2w, 4h and 4l, but no new oil leaked out. I think I have pinned down the location of the original leak to a strange little hole on the back of the transmission casing. Right near the bottom of the transmission where it meets with the transfer case there is a small hole that looks like it goes through to the transfer case. Is there supposed to be little plug there? I have since reassembled everything and driven around with no new oil leaking out and no noticable problems.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Is this curious little hole some kind of overflow hole or something? I had my jeep at some steep angles.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by libtech; 06-25-2008 at 01:54 AM. Reason: accidentally submitted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 AM
gs2offroad
2013 WK 

My guess is that you have a leaky seal in the transmission adapter housing between the transfer case input and the transmission output shaft. I had the same symptoms. You have to pull the transfer case to get the leaky seal out. It's cheap and easy to replace, but time consuming to get to it.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
libtech
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, I was also thinking that there may be a leak inside that is letting gear oil get from the transmission to the transfer case. But if there is a leaky seal in there wouldn't it leak all the time? After I cleaned it up I have not been able to see any new oil leaking out and I've been driving around for 3 days now.

Does anyone know what the little hole I described actually is?

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
libtech
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, I was also thinking that there may be a leak inside that is letting gear oil get from the transmission to the transfer case. But if there is a leaky seal in there wouldn't it leak all the time? After I cleaned it up I have not been able to see any new oil leaking out and I've been driving around for 3 days now.

Does anyone know what the little hole I described actually is?
post #5 of 8 Old 06-26-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
libtech
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Have noticed more oil today. Gonna go ahead and drop the transfer case like gs2offroad suggested and try to see what needs to be replaced. I topped up the transmission and it seems to only have leaked about 200ml of gear oil. The leak is not too bad, but could this possibly damage the transfer case if I don't fix it soon?

gsoffroad - Would you recommend that I need a repair manual to pull the transfer case, or is it pretty straight forward? Any special tricks/tips?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 PM
CrawlinLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That little hole is a weep hole so when your seal in the rear of the transmission output shaft goes bad you know it. Only about a $25 part but it will take you a few hours to pull the transfer case and replace the seal.

2006 Rubicon LJ, 4.0 liter, 4 speed automatic, 5.5" Rubicon Express, 37" x 12.5" Krawlers on Champion Beadlocks, Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60 axles/5.13 ratio w/ high steering kit, Dyna-Loc front hubs, J.E. Reel 1350 cv drivelines, Atlas 4 speed/5.38:1, Walker Evans Shocks, PSC Hydraulic Assist steering, Nth Degree Oil Pan and Transmission Skid, Premier Power Welder, Kilby On Board Air, Warn 9500si, Dual Optimas, Hansen Front Bumber, All J Products Rear Bumper & Boulder Bars, PIAA Driving Lights, Rock Lights, Ham Radio, CB, Garmin 76cs GPS,Wet-Okeole seat covers
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2008, 10:46 PM
gs2offroad
2013 WK 

I did it without a manual. Support transmission with a jack, take off the skid plate, disconnect the drive shafts, disconnect the wires going to the transfer case, disconnect shifter, unbolt the case and slide it back off the transmission. The biggest pain is wrestling the transfer case on and off the transmission - it is pretty heavy and really a 2 man job. A transmission jack will make the job a lot easier. Once you get the transfer case off you will see the seal in the rear of the transmission housing. Pry it out and take it to your auto parts store. Carefully tap in a new seal. While you are at it, you can also replace the seal on the input of the transfer case, they sometimes go bad too and since you are in there, you might as well do it also.

The leak won't hurt anything as long as you keep topping up your transmission gear oil as it leaks out. Mine got progressively worse until I had the Exxon Valdez going so I broke down and fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtech View Post
Have noticed more oil today. Gonna go ahead and drop the transfer case like gs2offroad suggested and try to see what needs to be replaced. I topped up the transmission and it seems to only have leaked about 200ml of gear oil. The leak is not too bad, but could this possibly damage the transfer case if I don't fix it soon?

gsoffroad - Would you recommend that I need a repair manual to pull the transfer case, or is it pretty straight forward? Any special tricks/tips?

Last edited by gs2offroad; 06-26-2008 at 11:13 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-28-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
libtech
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks alot for the info and advice guys. You answered all my questions. That just saved me from having to talk to a mechanic, and in turn is gonna save me a bunch of cash. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in