Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transmission Issue? Transfer Case?

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Goatman#1 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Recently my 2006 TJ that had not given me any issues started giving me some. It became really hard to get it moving in reverse. I would put it in gear and It was as if the TJ had the brakes applied. It was really hard to get it moving in reverse!

Also, when I put it in gear D to move forward it would also be somewhat hard to get it moving forward but if I applied enough gas to get it out of 1st gear and into second it would drive perfectly. No issues with the 4wd. I lifted the TJ and even disconnected the rear diff from the transfer case to make sure it wasn't that. The transmission fluid is a nice reddish hue..doesn't smell burnt.

I decided to take it to a shop and the guy who seems to be trustworthy told me I needed a transmission rebuild but that it would cost me $2k and it would only have 30 days warranty. Another option was to change it with another one but it would be 2.5k and then buying a new one somewhere around 3k. That's a ton of money. I decided to take it to another shop for a second opinion.

They told me it was the transfer case but again they are charging me an arm and a leg. $1,900 to replace the transfer
case with another one with one year warranty on parts and labor. Those were the only issues Any ideas what it could be? That second shop seems a little less professional than the 1st. I thought these TJs were near bulletproof *sigh*

See less See more
#2 ·
The transfer case theory doesn't hold water, I wouldn't trust the second shop. What you describe sounds like your Low/Reverse holding clutch is slipping, so internal transmission work may be required. Before doing anything though, I would advise to first have any stored codes pulled with a scanner to see if you're getting any transmission codes. You can also perform a pressure check of the clutches to see if they're in spec.

Attachments

#3 ·
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

My suggestion is to use a cheap 12v fluid pump to remove a couple quarts of transmission fluid from the filler tube.
Then add a container of Lucas Transmission Conditioner and enough transmission fluid to bring back to "Full". (Read Manual on how to check)
Run this for a few days and see if there is a difference.

Note: I just saw a container of the Lucas Conditioner at my local Rural King for $8.99.

Maybe a cheap fix for an aggravating issue.

#7 ·
One thing I personally would NEVER do is to add an additive to the ATF. There are multiple types of ATFs and there's no way any one-type-fits-all additive is going to be correct for all of them. ATFs are careful blends and additives are just going to disrupt the blend. Most additives are, in my strongest possible personal opinion, little better than snake oil.

Attachments

#5 ·
the 05 and 06 autos are known to be a pain in ***. Check the fluid level EXACTLY as the manual says.

If thats good then it could be something in the computer causing the internal solenoids to not engage to put pressure on the bands.
Highly doubt adding any special fluid will help this issue. Its not really slipping but failing to engage. The older 32rh was a good trans but required a band adjustment every 100k or so..

The trans in your jeep is so known to be a pill that there is a aftermarket conversion to the 700r

DO NOT GO BACK TO THAT FU SHOP... They seen your butt as a cashcow. ANd they was about to get elbow deep in there..

#6 ·
mukluk's insights are correct.

A proper diagnosis would include confirming the cable is properly adjusted as well as scanning for codes and a pressure test to confirm clutch function. If this was not done the shop is just guessing that you need a rebuild.

Low (1st gear) and reverse use the same clutch. When the L/R clutch fails, you'll typically notice the issue initially when applying power in reverse because it requires more pressure than low. That all other gears are functional indicates that fluid is not the issue. The 42RLE also does not have any bands to adjust.

In addition to the L/R clutch, there is also an L/R accumulator piston in the case above the valve body. If a seal is leaking, or if the piston is stuck in its bore, you'll experience the same symptoms as you would with a failed clutch.

This video shows installation and testing of the L/R piston and L/R clutch:

Unfortunately, it's an ordeal to remove the 42RLE valve body. You could however easily drop the pan and check for chunks of clutch material at the bottom of the pan. This would confirm if the clutch has failed.

42RLE is not a terrible transmission. The clutches are however very susceptible to heat-related failure. If the fluid overheats and/or is not replaced regularly, the transmission will not last long.

#9 ·
I think in different ways what we are all trying to get at is to find a shop that will properly diagnose your problem and be willing to address it in the best way. It seems like the only way a lot of shops (especially dealers around me) is to just throw new parts at a problem without actually knowing what the problem is. Have a misfire? New engine. Odd noise in the rearend? New axle. It seems if you don't know exactly what is wrong and already have diagnosed the problem and have the parts already in hand that nowadays many places will do what is the easiest and most profitable thing that MIGHT fix the problem for you.

#10 ·
I work in a dealer and have to say that is not how we fix things. New engines dont come with coils and injectors, etc. Unless there is a mechanical failure like a valve related issue a new engine will not fix a misfire. We are aware of that. So is the factory that will deny a warranty claim for being stupid. (like replacing an engine rather than a coil pack.) JS.

Management gets really butthurt over denied warranty claims. The checks and balances are in place in our system. Probably more so than a bubba shop. It requires a lot of proof that cannot be faked to get the factory to send you an engine.

#11 ·
So I'm an idiot guys. After I posted my problem, without waiting for a response, and wanting the Jeep to be back to normal ASAP. I didn't want to try to misdiagnose it myself so I went to the 2nd shop that told me it was the Transfer case. They guaranteed it would fix the jeep and gave me 1 year warranty in parts and labor. Sounded good to me.

The 1st shop I went to (that told me it was the transmission) is owned by a guy that does his homework. After looking at his estimate in detail I learned that he did check the transmission pressures and wrote that the clutches were going bad. Except his ideas of fixing the issue were not very attractive..

$2,000 - He takes Tranny off, repairs it in house. 3 Months Warranty.
$2,500 - He takes Tranny off and sends it for a rebuild.
$3,000 - Gets new transmission. 1 year warranty

He did mention that if I bought my own transmission ($800 - $1,200 on ebay maybe) he'd install it for $550. Probably the best option.

Anyway, fast forward and Idiot me goes with the second shop. Replacing the transfer case was cheaper than any of this guy's options. Jeep is finally done, I go pick it up. Drive it around for 20 mins and the EXACT same issues are there. I brought it back today and told them that the exact same thing was happening. They had me leave it overnight because they're going to ''look'' at it.

I don't know what kind of lies im in store for.. *sigh* I even suspected that they probably didn't even replace the transfer case so I went underneath the jeep to make sure it wasn't the original one. It wasn't..so at least they're not THAT dishonest.

I don't understand why shops don't give good prices and make the happiness of their customers their 1st priority. When I find a shop that does good work I tend to give them repeat business AND I tell everyone I know of that shop whenever they need a place to fix their car. One person can generate a ton of cash for that one shop if they weren't out to **** people over every chance they get.

Anyway, I'll post again when they get back to me. Ideally I would like them to say ''our fault, we misdiagnosed, we're going to get a lightly used transmission and replace your and you're good to go.'' but I'm dreading the call where they ask for even more money even after they misdiagnosed my problem. Frustrating.

#12 ·
2 to 3K$ for a quality trans repair is not out of the question and fair if done thoroughly and with quality parts. The torque converter, valve body and other hard parts are often needed to overhaul a transmission and make it last as long as the original. Quality overhaul kits cost good money also. There is a ton of labor if someone is thorough and complete while doing your trans. Sure it can be had for less but a quality job will last as long or outlast the original.

I am not sure how you bought into a transfer case not being able to move your vehicle in first and reverse only but magically worked in the other ranges. You should have been more patient when you posted, I think that you now realize that.

I don't understand why shops don't give good prices and make the happiness of their customers their 1st priority.
I am not sure what you mean by this comment. Shops that do quality work have quality equipment. I don't think that you realize the investment and overhead to run a business like this. I could ramble about this forever. In the end, the way I take it is the customer should get stuff for dirt cheap and go home and eat steak every night. The hero who fixed your stuff should be happy with ramen noodles. Maybe I misread your remark but providing quality service is really freaking expensive. Tools, equipment, subscriptions to data. The electrical costs alone are astronomical. Start out by buying your own scanner and trans specialty tools and get back to me. They are only the tip of the iceberg in expense.

Really sorry that you got impatient and made a bad choice. Hope it works out well for you. In the end you may want to become more proficient in your own research and ability to diagnose and fix things.

I do not know what you do for a living but I am sure that people think that your field does not always put making people happy first either. JS.

Here to help and tried to help earlier. Trust the forum. Be careful about your remarks about repair facilities though. A lot of the really helpful guys on here do this for a living. How many will want to help you if you bash what they do for a living?

BTW, if you paid $1900 for a used transfer case..... you got hosed.... but it was cheaper than the trans repair.... right?

:rantoff:

#13 ·
Boojo35 - I ment no offence to you or anyone else that works for a quality shop. That is why I said especially around me. Or perhaps I just have crap luck. I dont know of many places that do warentee work on TJ's around me either. But a good 2/3rds of the dealers around here will make "padding the bill" look like pro bono work. Seems that for a while the GM dealers had the worst reputation, but really only the Honda places and a few others still have any reputation for repair work here. NY seems to pride itself for its rude, offensive people and almost mafia like businesses. When I was a kid that was mostly only in/around NYC. Has been creeping further upstate ever since. Add in Albany (the state capital) 1.5 hours away and my area has gone down hill a lot in the last 20 or so years. Good for anyone that lives in a better area. Do your best to make it last.

#14 ·
I will not deny that dealerships and quality aftermarket shops seem very expensive as compared to other shops or even a DIY repair. Yes, the automotive service industry has taken a hit. It is very difficult to find younger techs that are willing to work and dedicate themselves to learning all that is necessary. So many just want the easy answers. The shoot from the hip approach to diagnostics. A lot of technical schools really don't prepare people for the real world. A lot of customers are very abusive, needy, unreasonable and really do not understand that there are no magic wands that fix and diagnose cars. Quality work sometimes takes a while. A perfect example happened yesterday. A customer drop off his Pacifica in the morning. Has harsh shifting issues only after it gets very hot and the issues are intermittent. By noon he is calling and saying he needs his vehicle. I can rant forever how his expectation does not suit his own best interest. Oh well.

I feel sorry for the writers somedays. I am not condoning rude service but sometimes I don't know how they stay positive. I will ride with a customer in a heartbeat and help to better understand a customers issues or complaint with their vehicle. Some people are downright nasty. I will tell them that I am trying to help them but in return they need to be a gentleman or a lady. I really have no tolerance for that nasty customer. I guess I am good at that because 99.9% of the time they come to my terms. LOL.

One of the big issues we deal with also is people buy a car that is beyond their financial means. These are the worst a hole customers ever. They have phantom complaints where the car is going to kill them. They don't want to cooperate when you try to gather data from them of what the vehicle does and when it does it. They just want a lemon law buy back cause they made a bad choice and cannot afford what they drive. "I have a lawyer".. Good for you. So do I. LOL.

Rant over.

#15 ·
I will give you that one for sure. I was at an acupuncturist a few weeks ago and a young (30's) woman was getting irate because she is afraid of needles so wanted the "needle free" treatment. At an ACUPUNCTURIST! 🤯 And getting pissed they won't do that for her. I don't care if a shop says 2-3 days. As long as it is repaired correctly. Call up and say you need more time? Fine. The parts truck often screws up. I think this Facebook mentality is really hurting this place (the world) Kids and even adults now think everything is about them and they are owed it all. Freshman Congress people think it is their way now. No respect for anyone, and if you don't bow...... Don't know how people working in the service dept. don't go insane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.