2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Transfer Case Skid plate bolt holes don’t line up

Hi

I’m in the process of dropping my transfer case skid a bit to try and get rid of vibrations after installing new shocks with my old BB. The problem is every time I’ve taken my skid off then put it back on I’ve had a really hard time getting the bolts to line up. It’s gotten worse and it’s to the point where the only way I’d get it on is If id cross thread some of the outer bolts. Is this due to the frame bending? I think I am already going to need to retap some of the threads. Should I oval out some of the holes on the skid so the holes line up?

Thanks
Isaac

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 06:41 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

how are your motor mounts?

you can try ratchet straps to pull the power train back into place

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 06:51 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Could this mis-alignment/forced fit, be the cause of your vibrations?

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Are you saying they aren’t lining up because the power trains mis aligned? Even if I jack the transfer case up the plate still doesn’t align with the bolt holes.

Thanks
Isaac
post #5 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 06:54 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacsTjRubi View Post
Hi

Iím in the process of dropping my transfer case skid a bit to try and get rid of vibrations after installing new shocks with my old BB. The problem is every time Iíve taken my skid off then put it back on Iíve had a really hard time getting the bolts to line up.
You don't remove the skid. You loosen one side (leave the bolts in) and remove the bolts on the other side with a jack under the skid. Nothing moves or needs aligning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #6 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 08:50 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Iím in the process of dropping my transfer case skid a bit to try and get rid of vibrations after installing new shocks with my old BB.
If the issue arose after installing shocks, how does removing the skid solve the issue?
BB? what is this?
Quote:
The problem is every time Iíve taken my skid off then put it back on Iíve had a really hard time getting the bolts to line up.
Has he vehicle been in an accident? Do you do hard core offroading? Is there alot of rust?
post #7 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 09:11 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post
BB? what is this?
Attached Images

Wheelin98TJ likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've had the budget boost on it since I got the jeep and had no noticeable vibes before. I just installed brand new shocks and I assumed that it gave it just enough more lift to throw the rear driveshaft angle off. The jeep has been wheeled hard but the frame is completely solid with no rust. Every time I've dropped the skid I've had a hard time getting it to line up. When I first did it it was with the old skid plate when I used POR 15 on the frame rails. That old skid was really banged up from wheeling so I assumed that was why it wouldn't line up right. I eventually replaced that skid with another stock rubicon one but that also didn't line up well. I put the shocks in while doing a clutch job so it's possible when I put the skid back on this time it misaligned the tranny but the driveshaft is straight there just seems to be too much angle on the diff end.

Thanks
Isaac
post #9 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 08:10 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

shocks have no effect on ride height.

i've dropped the OEM skid multiple times on my 03 rubi and the wife's 06 sport and never had an alignment issue. when i did a tummy tuck on mine i prob ably dropped the skid 20 times before i got it to fit just right, but the holes always lined up perfectly.

when you say it isnt lining up, do you mean you start a bolt or two on one side, then a couple bolts on the other side and they arent lining up? is that with the trans mount connected?
TheBoogieman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 09:51 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
shocks have no effect on ride height.

i've dropped the OEM skid multiple times on my 03 rubi and the wife's 06 sport and never had an alignment issue. when i did a tummy tuck on mine i prob ably dropped the skid 20 times before i got it to fit just right, but the holes always lined up perfectly.

when you say it isnt lining up, do you mean you start a bolt or two on one side, then a couple bolts on the other side and they arent lining up? is that with the trans mount connected?
He parked sideways on a hill. If the ground isn't flat, things shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #11 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 10:33 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
When I installed my father in law's skyjacker on his 97 TJ it had 1" trans drop spacers I had to put in. It definitely shifted some with pressure had to use ratchet straps to get it lined back up. Depending on what stage the rest of the lift install etc is at may dictate what it does when unbolted for me it was the last step.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I can get a few bolts in on one side but then the other sides holes will be off almost 3/4". I'm doing this with the tranny mount on.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 07:38 PM
BrokeJeepJoe

Garage
Quote:
I can get a few bolts in on one side but then the other sides holes will be off almost 3/4". I'm doing this with the tranny mount on.
Did you loosen the transmission mount nuts at the skid plate?
post #14 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
IsaacsTjRubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes they are fully removed.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 09:02 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You've got something fairly twisted or out of square.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in