Trans problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
MatthewStuff

Garage
Trans problem

Please help. I have an 05 Wrangler sport. Wont shift out of first gear. The problem happens when i have driven it shut it off and restart it too soon it wont shift from first and the overdrive off light wont come on when the button is pressed. It seems to have trouble shifting even when it will come out of first just does it intermittently. The trans fluid level is fine and not discolored and dosnt smell burnt. This is my daily driver and i love it. can someone help out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-11-2019, 05:01 PM
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewStuff View Post
Please help. I have an 05 Wrangler sport. Wont shift out of first gear. The problem happens when i have driven it shut it off and restart it too soon it wont shift from first and the overdrive off light wont come on when the button is pressed. It seems to have trouble shifting even when it will come out of first just does it intermittently. The trans fluid level is fine and not discolored and dosnt smell burnt. This is my daily driver and i love it. can someone help out.
Check for codes....you'll need a scanner that can read transmission codes. Hopefully you don't have the '05-'06 PCM issue.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What process are you following when checking the trans fluid level?
Is the CEL/MIL illuminating on your instrument cluster?
Does your Jeep run hotter than 210F? Is the radiator airflow obstructed? Are your transmission cooler lines routed close to your exhaust?

+1 you need to check for set and pending codes with a scanner.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 7 Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
MatthewStuff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
What process are you following when checking the trans fluid level?
Is the CEL/MIL illuminating on your instrument cluster?
Does your Jeep run hotter than 210F? Is the radiator airflow obstructed? Are your transmission cooler lines routed close to your exhaust?

+1 you need to check for set and pending codes with a scanner.
Thanks for responding. The CEL throws P1603 and 04. It never runs hot. A month ago the oil pressure dropped to 0 while idling in drive twice and has never done it again. This stuck in 1st only happens after driving for a while and restarting. The fluid was checked yesterday running in neutral and 210 engine temp. No trans cooler. I have a winch but it is bumper mounted low and dosnt block air flow. I recently put on a throttle body spacer never had this problem before but not sure that’s related.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

P1603-PCM INTERNAL DUAL-PORT RAM COMMUNICATION
P1604-PCM INTERNAL DUAL-PORT RAM READ/WRITE INTEGRITY FAILURE
For both: Internal PCM failure detected. Intermittent open on PCM Connector 1 pin 12 Fused Ignition Switch Output circuit.

You're going to have to check the switched fuse 12 power feed to see if you can find why it's intermittently dropping off. Use a meter to check for voltage drops, look for loose or corroded connections, and inspect for wiring damage. If no faults with the feed circuit can be found, you'll most likely need a replacement PCM.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 fuse 12 feed.jpg  

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Isn't the 05-06 Autos with the shifting issue from 1-2 PCM related??
post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2019, 12:40 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3 View Post
Isn't the 05-06 Autos with the shifting issue from 1-2 PCM related??
Related insomuch that the transmission is electronically shifted and TCM controlled, yes, but the actual cause of the shifting issue can be a number of other things besides the often (ill)advised immediate assumption it's the controller.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in